Clear All

• no room for tape. I did the best I could. Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	877659
    80 G

Comment

• Looks good. Hope it works. Hey Phil, yours is still good? How many miles?

Comment

• Hey Phil, yours is still good? How many miles?
        Still good, I did the repair about a year and a half ago, probably around 15K miles. I didn't use a repair sleeve.

Hey Eric, If it starts leaking again, I would verify that the breather element inside the air box isn't plugged up. They can get pretty nasty with this Florida humidity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_111737.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	877663
        Last edited by bikerphil; 01-25-2024, 05:28 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

• That looks delicious.

Comment

• Had the airbox out changing the intake boots and it looked good to me.

The original seal is unavailable- even splitting the cases would not fix it.

The speedy sleave looked ok to me but it might get a groove like the crankshaft did from the seal over many miles.

I'm not a mechanic like you guys but am keepin this bike running great with y'all helping here.
            80 G

Comment

• I got a good feeling about this one 65,000 mi

Phil, those scrambled eggs could be wax from the Pennsylvania oil.
              80 G

Comment

• Yep, I think all conventional oils have paraffin wax but Pennzoil and QuakerSnot probably have the most. ​​​​
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

☮

Comment

• I break cleaned the oil and old silicone

I sanded the edge of the speedy sleeve with 800 grit-wasn't sure which way to go- in out or back forth. Painters blue tape might work if done right.

Then put oil on the lip and silicone on the out part of the seal.

I hammered a piece of wood against the seal and then a big socket, left it overnight.
                  80 G

Comment

• And got oil in the cover right away. I am really disturbed.

I am buying 2 more to try and install better.
                    80 G

Comment

• Wow, that sucks. What kind of seal did you use? The same kind as last time?
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

☮

Comment

• 800 grit might be too rough and if you crossed the direction of rotation that would be bad. Micro grooves may be present. You need 1500 + as mentioned and you would need to polish in the direction of rotation wetted with oil. Not across. Maybe a new sleeve is in order.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.4 KB ID:	877705

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (28).jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	877704
                        Last edited by DEEBS11; 01-28-2024, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          Wow, that sucks. What kind of seal did you use? The same kind as last time?
                          It looks like the single lip Viton high temp unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fkm-oil-shaft-seal-32-x-48-x-8mm-single-lip-price-for-1-pc__66309.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	877707

Comment

• That seal and got 2 more coming. I sanded wrong but just the edge, electric tape seems strong to protect it if I can cover the edge cone and remove after seal is in.

How to remove the sleeve if needed?
                            80 G

Comment

• Not sure. Never used one.

Comment

• Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                                That seal and got 2 more coming. I sanded wrong but just the edge, electric tape seems strong to protect it if I can cover the edge cone and remove after seal is in.

How to remove the sleeve if needed?
                                Use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and a steady hand, only cut half way through the thickness, then using a small straight pick or sharp scratch awl inline with the crankshaft right at the score line, carefully tap the point of the pick/awl in between the sleeve and the crank to split the sleeve off of the crank.
                                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                                X