No announcement yet.

oil on the good foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boot not quite right. Looking at plugs again left to right.
    Attached Files
    80 G

Comment

Getting instant results from seafoam. Changing spark plugs. Gonna put miles on it now...
      80 G

Comment

Yep, I would fix that clamp on the #4 intake boot, may be sucking extra air and causing that popping.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Well, the seal is dripping on my foot again. I'm gonna try and do it again. Might of gone in cockeyed. I could try and hit it in flatter and straighter. I could leave it overnight with sealer on the outer edge instead of riding right away.

I will order 2 if it starts going in a bit off I'll have another.
          80 G

Comment

Well, that sucks having to do it over, oh well.

The seal may have shifted, there is not that much case surface area for the seal to mate to. Obviously the case wasn't designed for this type of non-lipped seal, so there are a few measures you can take to prevent the seal from moving.

Coat the outside edge of the seal with RTV, just not too much. You don't want to block that oil drain hole at 7 o'clock.
            Tap the seal in as straight as possible in the beginning and then send it home with a socket slightly smaller in diameter than the seal. I used a 1 1/4" half inch drive. If you don't have a large socket, a PVC pipe adapter fitting would probably do the trick.

After the seal is fully seated, put a thin layer of RTV all the way around the outside front of the seal overlapping onto the case. Careful not to get any on the inside part or on the crankshaft. This will really prevent it from shifting and keep it solid.

It is very important, as you have found out, to let the RTV cure overnight.

I did mine this way about 6 months ago and holding solid and not a drop.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 08-28-2022, 07:37 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Alright. So, I did use a 1 1/4 half in dr last time. But hit it hard right away and the top of seal started first- not so straight.

This time, I could tap a piece of 2x4 with a hammer flat against the seal and then use the socket.
              80 G

Comment

Hey, whatever it takes, you'll get it right this time. It's OK if it starts off a little crooked, as long as it's straight when it's all the way home, then you should be good.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

could be leaking from the crankshaft edge- hope not Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	870237
                  80 G

Comment

If it is leaking from the crankshaft you may have part of the lip folded over. If the seal was too cocked when you started, that can happen. Try using a 0.005" feeler gauge to slip in between the seal and crank, slowly rotate around the crank looking for any problems. You may need to cut the feeler gauge so it's not over about 1/4" wide.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Already removed the seal. I will install a new one as best I can.
                      80 G

Comment

I see why these are double lipped. They're sealing against the crankshaft twice.
                        80 G

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                          I see why these are double lipped. They're sealing against the crankshaft twice.
                          That's what I thought too, until I hammered the seal in and realized the outer lip didn't do anything, it was too far out to hit the crankshaft.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

and left it overnight
                            Attached Files
                            80 G

Comment

Looks good, better not leak this time.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Oil on the other foot? I think the other side has oil seeping out. Is the right side easier or harder to do? I already have the seal.
                                80 G

Comment

Working...
                                X