No announcement yet.

oil on the good foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am told to use a chisel to remove the flange, removable like a sardine can.

80 G

Comment

Sounds easy enough.

After watching a couple of YouTube videos, I can see why it may need to be installed backwards. The flange removal may be difficult or impossible with it being on the inboard side, not enough room for the "sardine can" action with the needle nose pliers.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 10-06-2022, 06:31 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I was told to put it in the oven at 200 degrees and then install on a cold morning. And not to pry with plyers- instead to hit the flange with a small cold chisel all the way around to remove ( but once I'm in there -do what works...)

Looks like the flange needs to be cut a bit before installing to create a start point if pliers are used. If the shaft has a taper it will be easier to start- if the same diameter it needs to be hit in a lot.

80 G

Comment

Looks clearly leaking from the shaft and seal and nowhere else. You can sorta see the groove. This is the right part-size and depth look right. Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	870695 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	870696 Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	870697
          80 G

Comment

Looks like you're on the right track, good luck with the install.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	870707 Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	870708 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	870709 Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	870710
              80 G

Comment

Looks good, third time's a charm. <fingers crossed>
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

I may have broke something. I went backward a bit with the bolt- timing plate forgot to hold the wrench to keep it always clockwise. When I started the bike, it seemed fine so I did the cam chain adjust cause I was there ( like I have many times torch back with the inch lb).
                  I started the bike again goin for a short test works fine then boggs down at 4000 rpm.

Can a bent valve do this? Is it the governer assembly? carb?

I tightened the bolt too much the torch is 14.5 ft lb or 174 in lb. I had set the wrench to a huge number for the roter-other side and forgot to check.

Now its not right. That bolt for the timing plate won't click withe the right torch after I tightened too much and it t looks wrong when started with cover off
                  Last edited by speedlimit85; 10-10-2022, 10:12 AM.
                  80 G

Comment

Well, if you did bend a valve, you would probably hear a popping sound thru the exhaust or a carb, depending on which valve is bent. Now if you skipped a tooth on the cam chain, that may affect high end performance, IDK. Unfortunately, the only way to verify if the cam timing is correct is to remove the valve cover. I don't see what the carb would have to do with anything, you didn't touch them while doing your oil seal. It's OK to turn the engine backwards some with the wrench, providing you didtn't do it with the cam chain adjuster loose.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

• I did NOT turn the motor with the cam chain adjuster loose. But something is not right. I am getting popping. So I may have bent a valve.

What can I do now?

So the overtightened bolt on the timing plate probably did not break anything but when I loosened it to torque it right and turned the motor backward it bent a valve....
                      Last edited by speedlimit85; 10-10-2022, 10:33 AM.
                      80 G

Comment

• I would compression check all 4 cylinders. If one or more is way off from the rest, valve(s) is probably bent. Do it with the throttle wide open. If they are all equal, then it is probably something else.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

• All right. I will put the left side back together and see if I can borrow a compression tester.
                          80 G

Comment

• Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post

So the overtightened bolt on the timing plate probably did not break anything but when I loosened it to torque it right and turned the motor backward it bent a valve....
                            You won't bend a valve just by turning the motor backwards, it will only happen if there is a tensioner failure. Do yourself a favor, do the auto adjust tensioner mod (ACCT) at some point.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

• Now may be the time for the ACCT mod.

From left to right: 40 60 90 90 drop to 0. I have bad compression. Everytime it runs worse.

I had the cover off to change the valve cover gasket last year. Is that where I need to go next?

When reinstalling the timing plate it could go on 2 ways 180 off or right.

If it was- is 180 off then the C-mark was not in the right place when the chain was adjusted.

That could be what happened.
                              Last edited by speedlimit85; 10-10-2022, 01:02 PM.
                              80 G

Comment

• Are you checking the compression with the throttle wide open as BikerPhil mentioned in the above post? If not, your readings will be off.
                                Bob's Bikes:
                                79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                                https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                                https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                                "
                                Project XS11"
                                "Rucksack Grunt"
                                "Small Unit Leadership"
                                "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts: