No announcement yet.

oil on the good foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will the stock gasket work with the new ACCT?
    80 G

Comment

• See those arrows on the #3 cam bearing caps? There are dots on the two camshafts that should line up with those two arrows when the crankshaft timing plate is at the "T" mark.

The crankshaft rotates 2 times to every 1 time of the camshafts.

will the stock gasket work with the new ACCT?
      Yes
      Last edited by bikerphil; 10-11-2022, 10:04 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

• That black dot under the chain?Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	870757
        80 G

Comment

• No, on the cams right next to the #3 caps...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221011_144106.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	870759
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

• This looks close to right. Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	870762 Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	870763 Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	870764
            80 G

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	870766 Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	870767 Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	870768 Clear pic
              80 G

Comment

• Yeah, it looks spot on. This is good. I don't know why you only had 90 psi compression, can't bend a valve if the timing is correct.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

• The only other thing I can think of ATM is when you reinstalled the mechanical timing advance in the crankshaft, the pin wasn't properly lined up and it forced it into the crankshaft causing the reluctor to move into the wrong position, causing a timing issue. You did say you had trouble tightening down the plate bolt that one time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221011_153318.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	870771
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 10-11-2022, 01:34 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

• Should I take the mechanical advance out and look at it?

I thought we were looking to see if the chain was off teeth.

I hit the mechanical advance into that pin with a rubber mallet each time.
                    Last edited by speedlimit85; 10-11-2022, 01:42 PM.
                    80 G

Comment

• The chain did not skip teeth if all the marks line up as they did.

Yeah, I would double check that mechanical advance, I've made that mistake myself before. That would throw off the alignment of the timing plate I believe.

Also looks like your timing needs advancing a little by rotating the base plate CCW a little.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 10-11-2022, 01:54 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

• There is a small nick in the mechanical advance
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	870776 Click image for larger version  Name:	015.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	870777 Click image for larger version  Name:	016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.6 KB ID:	870778 Click image for larger version  Name:	013.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	870775
                        Last edited by speedlimit85; 10-11-2022, 02:11 PM.
                        80 G

Comment

• Ok, that wasn't the issue, it can now be eliminated. As for the nick, if it is preventing the unit to fully seat, I would file it down so it doesn't interfere.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

• So I didn't destroy the bike but don't know what's broken.

What had happened was I overtightened the hex bolt on the reluctor plate with the torque wrench at the wrong number. I stopped before breaking anything and loosened the bolt to start over with the right torque. While loosening the hex I forgot to hold the reluctor with a wrench to prevent it from turning the motor backwards( I remember reading never turn the motor backward not even a little).
                            I installed the governer and started the motor for a moment- seemed okay so I moved it to the C-mark and did the chain adjust. Then I rode it a bit and the motor bogged less than 1/4 mi turned around. Here we are.
                            80 G

Comment

• Well it won't hurt the motor to turn it backwards, you would need to do that anyway when doing a valve shim adjustment, so I doubt you did any damage doing that. Time to start looking at other things. I am out of ideas at the moment.

Maybe you are out of gas. Time to look at simple. things.
                              Last edited by bikerphil; 10-11-2022, 02:56 PM.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

• That would be nice if it were that easy. I have gas in the tank.

I was riding 100 mi a day last week. When replacing the seal i let it sit 2 full days this time. I removed all the left cover to get to the seal, replaced it and adjusted the timing.

At first it ran good then bogged down backfired and got worse. First I thought the carbs then the pick-up coils then that I broke something.

80 G

Comment

Working...
                                X