X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• justme1100

XStremely XSive
    Oil Seal and Speedy sleeve for shaft

Ok, did not read every post but on my XJ that seal can be ordered for $10 or less. Got my latest one from Advance Auto, Rock Auto. com also has them. National 223240 Have bought 3 so far. 1st one didn't work, thought it was bad. Found a speedy sleeve(I could look for the box for the part number if you need it cuz I got it somewhere), repairs the groove from the shaft from years of wear by the spring in the seal. Works great but you have to put it on backwards so you don't have to split the cases. Use a dremel tool to remove rough edge, found this out when I replaced the 2nd seal after flooding my crankcase with oil over the winter and that edge tore up seal #3. I am waiting for seal #4 to arrive, 2 day wait, I hope this helps.
    80 G

Comment

• I would be 100% sure its leaking from the seal and not somewhere else like the base gasket, and running down the case, dripping off the weep hole, I have that problem with mine except its on the alternator side. I sprayed foot powder on the case under the cover, below the seal. No leak at the seal but its a real fooler.

I wonder if it's possible for the oil to leak thru under the speedy sleeve.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

• I took the left cover off and some oil is inside. I don't want to take it apart again right away- it's running too good.

Soon I will take take it apart and should be able to see where it is leaking from. If it is under the sleeve, I don't know what to do. If it is the seal to the sleeve on the crank, I could sand the edge better so the seal can go on unharmed.

I was thinking of getting a tougher seal: https://www.oringsandmore.com/fkm-oi...rice-for-1-pc/ what do you think?
        80 G

Comment

• Yep, I guess you could try a different brand of seal, may work out better, who knows. If you are worried about the seals lip being damaged upon installation, maybe wrap a piece of electrical tape around the crank overlapping the edge of the sleeve. Then install the seal and after it passes over the sharp edge, pull out the tape.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

• "If it is under the sleeve, I don't know what to do."

The leak may very well be coming from in between the crank and the Speedi-sleeve which is why they must be installed with red loc-tite
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

• Tape is a good idea.
              80 G

Comment

• The corner of a plastic sandwich baggie has always been my go to when installing a seal on a splined shaft.
                1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

• Hey Eric, which are you running, conventional or synthetic oil in your engine. And what weight? Synthetic can work its way past seals sometimes when conventional wont.

Also using thinner than 20W50, the crank can rattle around causing a seal to leak. A higher mileage engine can do this due to worn crank bearings. Your engine mileage is somewhat low IIRC.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 01-20-2023, 08:03 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

• I heard the crank could wobble. I've been using 10w40 conventional with 58,000 mi. 20w50 is a bit thicker right? Ive been regularly changing oil every 3,000 mi w/filter every other.
                    80 G

Comment

• Yep, I would try the 20W50 conventional non-synthetic next time around. Yes it is a bit thicker and with 58K on the clock, that's what I would be using. The crankshaft bearing clearances on these old air cooled engines is a bit on the large side, so the thicker oil should help.

The 20W50 is getting more difficult to find these days, your Walmart should carry it for $18...

The Supertech brand in the blue jug has been changed to a semi synthetic, so this seems to be a suitable replacement.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230121_085628.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	871750

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230121_085706~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	871751
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 01-21-2023, 08:05 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

• I may have amazing news, replaced leaking o-ring under left cover. It looked like I crushed it when replacing last time. It can fool ya...I have not looked at the seal, it may be working. I'm gonna put more miles on and see it I get any more oil on the good foot.
                        80 G

Comment

• If you end up having to revisit the seal, try this stuff. I fixed three hydraulic actuators with it. It works and my save you the hassle of repair.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230124_114343.png
Views:	160
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	871779
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

• I may have amazing news, replaced leaking o-ring under left cover
                            I hope that's all it is, good luck.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

• Update: seal and sleeve are working.

after 3000mi no oil leak
                              80 G

Comment

• Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                                Am I close to a real bike mechanic yet?
                                Update: seal and sleeve are working.

after 3000mi no oil leak
                                Yes you are, congrats. That's awesome.
                                Last edited by bikerphil; 06-11-2023, 08:50 PM.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

Comment

Working...
                                X