No announcement yet.

oil on the good foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric, did you end up using Lock Tite on the sleeve or not?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

• No. Now it may be possible to remove the sleeve. With locktite it is stuck forever.
      80 G

Comment

• Good to know that it will hold up without it.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

• Yes. It's been 6,000 mi. without leaking. 3000 mi ago it was the o-ring.

I removed the cover to tighten the chain ( yea still got the stock tensioner) looked and felt dry. No oil residue- nothing slick at all.

I hope it lasts. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks.
          80 G

Comment

• No problem brother, it was my pleasure.
            This has been a good thread.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-15-2023, 08:05 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

• Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
              Yes. It's been 6,000 mi. without leaking. 3000 mi ago it was the o-ring.

I removed the cover to tighten the chain ( yea still got the stock tensioner) looked and felt dry. No oil residue- nothing slick at all.

I hope it lasts. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks.
              Hi Speedlimit85, are you still leak free here in September? How many miles? Looks like I am looking at a left seal job as well. Got a bit of oil on my left shoe today. Took off the cover and it had about a shot glass of oil inside. Joy.

Comment

• Yes. I am leak free. The only leak I have still is from the left head gasket.

First try changing the o-ring under the cover behind the bolt. That oil can get in the cover.

If not fixed then it is the seal which is hard to remove. It was installed with the cases split and has an edge inside. I punctured it, then pried it, got it out.

The new seal is a different size with no edge -partzilla is wrong that seal is for the other side=

32X48X8 correct size https://www.oringsandmore.com/metric...-ref-cr563065/

Biker Phil was my guide.
                Last edited by speedlimit85; 09-18-2023, 04:40 AM.
                80 G

Comment

• Thanks, definitely leaking from crank seal but I will also replace plug O-ring. I ended up with this Viton seal. Will install soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134266201693

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	875409

Comment

• OK, I did the repair with the info Phil & Speedlimit85 have provided. The old seal has a lip on it that holds it in the case so its real fun to get out. Just be careful not to hurt the case or the crankshaft end.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I started by piercing the rubber covered metal portion of the seal. Only drill through the seal with the lightest of pressure so the bit does not hit the soft aluminum case which is only millimeters away. Start to carefully remove as much rubber as possible using an Xacto razor. Then pull out enough metal to grab on a good size chunk with Vice-Grips. I used a large seal puller tool to fully remove it from the case. Remember - the seal was not to be removed in this way. It was designed to be removed by splitting the cases so it needs an considerable amount of force that could easily damage something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1506.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.6 KB ID:	875482 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1510.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	875483 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1513.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.4 KB ID:	875484 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1514.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.3 KB ID:	875485
                      Last edited by DEEBS11; 09-23-2023, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Here you can see the lip on the old seal and the new seal with its conventional flat design.

Name:	DSCN1520.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	875488 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1519.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	875489 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1521.JPG
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	875490

Comment

• The new seal installed. I like to use copper RTV. Let it set up for 24 hours and took it for a good 50 mile ride. No leaks so far. Thank you to all (especially Phil) for the good info.

Name:	DSCN1515.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	875492 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1516.JPG
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	875493 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1425.JPG
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	875494

Comment

• Yep, DEEBS, and thank you for adding those photos.

Wait till one day when you need to change the ALT side, you'll be in for a surprise.
                            Last edited by bikerphil; 09-23-2023, 08:15 PM.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

• Yes, the level of difficulty will be higher because of the rotor. Luckily I have had it out a while back when I changed motors and re-gasketed the cover. The part that I do not look forward to is disconnecting the entire sidecar so I can get at the cover. I did buy the seal to have it ready on the shelf along with another new gasket. I will post if it happens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0975.A.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	875542
                              Last edited by DEEBS11; 09-24-2023, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Well, removing the rotor is not the difficult part. On the ALT side, the top and bottom case depths are different. If not done carefully, the seal will go in too far on the bottom half and sit cockeyed, and there is no way of pulling it back AFAIK without ruining it. It needs to be tapped in just far enough stopping flush with the outer lip of the case. I'm glad I had two seals the first time I did this because I ruined the first one.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

Comment

Working...
                                X