No announcement yet.

oil on the good foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It fits! Glad I didn't tear it up in anger. What's the torque for the valve cover?

80 G

Comment

• I think it's 7 ft/lb.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

• Before closing it up, would it be a good idea to verify the timing with TDC by the piston movement in # 1 cylinder?
        80 G

Comment

• If you want. The #1 piston should be at TDC with the cam dots lined up with the arrows and the timing plate at the T mark.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

• Someone suggested that- I may check. #1 is left side facing forward right?
            80 G

Comment

• 1 thru 4, left to right, sitting the bike.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

• It runs right. Bike is fixed!

I put it all back together. This time the bolt and reluctor plate moved into right position the torque wrench clicked right. This bike runs like this never happened.
                80 G

Comment

• So it was all just a bad dream?

Glad it's running right and you learned a few things along the way.

Back to poppin' wheelies again. : )
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

• I think what happened was the centrifigal advance was out of place like you said can happen.

And I advanced the timing like ya said- a bit CCW. It might be a 1200 now...running scary good!
                    80 G

Comment

• Yep, a little advance on the timing will sure pep it up. The idle speed may need to be turned down a tick, the advancement will bring it up.

Last edited by bikerphil; 10-14-2022, 08:03 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

• I want to sum up for anyone installing a speedy sleeve on the crankshaft left side. I got no oil on my left foot so far...only a few hundred mi.

Put the sleeve in the oven 200deg and install backward with the flange facing away from the bike. Hit the tool into the sleeve with a hammer onto the crankshaft all the way to cover the groove. Then remove the flange with cutter and needle nose pliers twisting like a sardine can. I sanded any sharp feeling area. Then install seal.

80 G

Comment

• It took "ELEVEN" pages for success sumpin's goin' on here
                          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

• Nice job - congratulations on you success finally.

Maybe you could include the source and P/N for the sleeve in your summary - for others that come by later. I looked through the entire thread and didn't find them easily.

Also did you use red Loctite or something else to bond and seal the sleeve on the crankshaft?
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

• part # 99128 for the sleeve at any auto part store is 32 mm for the crankshaft should be good for both sides

I put the sleeve on with no bond advised by a mechanic. I used permatex blue for the outside of the seal and oil for the inside.

80 G

Comment

• I hate to say it. It is slowly leaking again after 3000 mi.

The only thing I can think of is the seal could have caught a sharp edge on the speedy sleeve on the way in. I sanded the edge but maybe not good enough.
                                80 G

Comment

Working...
                                X