No announcement yet.

oil on the good foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I had nothing to do with it. Assuming I did the compression test right, I got 90 on all 4 that should be 140. What can cause these bikes to run good then drop to low compression?
    80 G

Comment

• I suspect the gauge is faulty, try a different one if possible. I myself would focus on the areas of the bike you were working on, such as the P/U coil wiring. That would cause the bike to pop and run like crap with an intermittent connection. Check even as far up as the connector on the TCI.

There is an easy ohm meter test at the TCI, just test pairs of wires in the 4 wire connector, both pairs should read about 720 ohms.

I don't know what would cause all 4 cylinders to drop to 90 compression, sure you were reading the gauge correctly, in in/lb?
      Last edited by bikerphil; 10-11-2022, 09:09 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

• I borrowed the gauge. I could test the compression with the owner who would know, but not with the valve cover off.
        80 G

Comment

• If you want, they will loan you a gauge at Autozone or O'reilly , just need to give them a deposit. Just set the valve cover back on, no bolts or gasket, you're not running the engine.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

• So the compression might be good. The timing and valves look good. The NOS pick up coils were good for a month - but that's where I was so makes sense that's what stopped working right.

I can borrow an OHM meter and learn to use it.
            80 G

Comment

• You can buy an Ohm meter for less than $20 that will be yours. Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight all have Digital Volt/Ohm meters for under $20. It is a tool you will need.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Well, you need to keep checking things until you find the culprit. The P/U coils were taken on and off several times when you were doing the oil seal and sleeve, so it would make most sense to double check them so they can be eliminated from the cause.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

• Did we eliminate the valves and timing as the culprit? I want to put it back together before taking more things apart. I have a gasket for the valve cover here. I can do the ACCT and all later. I want to fix this first.
                  80 G

Comment

• Yep, you can.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

• Aftermarket gasket is wrong. I have to wait to put the valve cover back. Got a meter and it was defective- changed it for a good one. The pick up coils read good with the meter.
                      80 G

Comment

• Ok, the timing is correct, cams dots line up with the cap arrows at TDC. You have checked the P/U coils and they check out good. What next? I'm fresh out of ideas.

Are you positive it is the wrong gasket? It is not symmetrical, it can only fit one way.

When you do start the engine, try the petcocks on prime, just in case one has failed or a vacuum hose is broken.

It's good to have that meter, like Ray stated, a valuable tool to have on hand.
                        Last edited by bikerphil; 10-12-2022, 09:16 PM.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

• I'm wondering if the engine was running on all four cylinders when you first discovered how bad it was running. When you get it back together, checking for hot or cold header pipes will answer that question. The work you did with the seal, may be coincidental and unrelated to the problem you are chasing now. I know that sounds contradictory to normal troubleshooting standards, which is always look at what your last did that may have caused the problem. But at this point, in my opinion, is put it back together and start fresh with the basics. Compression is probably not the issue; especially since it is consistent across all 4 cylinders. I have had bikes start and run ok with 90-100. In my experience that usually returns to normal levels after riding a bit. I suspect that you will find One or more cylinders not firing. If so, knowing which ones will be a helpful clue on how to proceed.
                          Bob's Bikes:
                          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                          https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                          https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                          "
                          Project XS11"
                          "Rucksack Grunt"
                          "Small Unit Leadership"
                          "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                          For Sale Here.

Comment

• The gasket is clearly just a bit off and will not work. I talked to the bike mechanic who would not do the seal. He said test pickups then test spark like down a list...

It was running right then felt like running on one cylinder. Could be anything unrelated but it feels electrical like the pickup coils.

Could overtightening the bolt done something? It won'tclick at the right torque anymore.
                            Last edited by speedlimit85; 10-13-2022, 04:56 AM.
                            80 G

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	870813 Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	870814 Bolt and reluctor look ok. I need to put pam on next gasket like Phil says. Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	870812
                              80 G

Comment

• Try turning the gasket around 180 deg and see if it fits better. It is never good to overtighten things, who knows what may result.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

Comment

Working...
                                X