No announcement yet.

2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the spirit of getting the bike ready, installed an LED H4 headlight bulb yesterday. Went out after dark and after a few short rides it's dialed in and adjusted. It provides a fantastic amount of light and I'm already sold on it, should have tried it sooner. It's a great upgrade from even the higher than standard wattage halogen I was already using (80w/100w). It only pulls 25 watts on high or low beam to make all of that light. Huge reduction in load on the electrical system.

The reduction in electrical load alone is a decent reason for guys with an XS1100 to give it a try, then factor in better illumination and there's no contest.

Looking forward to seeing you guys Thursday and Friday as you arrive.
    Last edited by Bonz; 07-07-2020, 10:28 AM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Parked it in Wellington KS.
      1,050 miles down and 500 to go.

Last 100 miles the southerly crosswinds were making the ride miserable as the cattle trucks went by eastbound. Not awful like usual, but still highly irritating. Plus it was getting pretty hot.

Probably continue with the 05:00 get up with 6pm departure and ride to Lamar for tomorrow. Did 410 miles today on a hodge-podge of various roads jumping on-off U160.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Good ride cowboy, good ride!
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• A good 500 miles of the 1,051 has been on curvy twisty roads. Came across many great optical illusions. You know, think road goes left but realize it breaks right and gotta give it a hefty yank to get it over.

Anyway, I'm minding my own business hauling the mail down beautiful smooth County Road 20 in Missouri and then did a "what the" double take. No warning, silky smooth paved awesome CR-20 goes to a tractor path - glad i wasn't going too fast

This wasn't an optical illusion. Odd it wasn't marked. I decided to go left and not take dirt CR-20 out the the highway i wanted.
          Skid marks weren't mine

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Hum, was looking at my other pictures and noticed this one.

Same M.O. and in MO. Pavement vanishes without warning.

Stopped here to have lunch in the shade.
            This is the last N-S road in western MO. Running the State Line.
            30 Paces to the left is Kansas.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Yeah those white limestone roads are a dusty mess it sticks to the bike like white on rice.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Long Way From Georgia

That's a lot of miles on a bike since Sunday Jeff. Glad you didn't run off the paved road. Looks like it would have been easy to do so. Ride Safe. You guys have fun this weekend.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Update

About 6,000 to go.

Feet that is. Stretch & water break outside Cimmaron KS. Wind is screaming. Of course from the south. Think it is feeding severe weather in middle KS for later today. So going west every eastbound truck causes severe shockwave. Glad I put new elastic in my shorts.
                  With a few trucks I thought I'd ruptured an ear drum and popped a nose nose bleed. Little worried about keeping the shiny side up.

104° today so I will stop early. Headed to Lamar.
                  Up at 04:45 and have been riding since 06:15. Sunrise in the mirror was great. A+ ride for 3 hours until the wind started "sweeping down the plains".

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Good deal, Jeff! Greg texted, is enjoying the AC at his stop over in Boise City Oklahoma.

I'm leaving my place around 4 pm this afternoon and will be at the cabin/campsite by 6: 30pm or so.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Got it parked in Lamar. Hot 104° as forecast. No shade anywhere.

1,396 miles in the mirror. 171 miles to go.

Ride has been a bit grueling. Route was very good but not that easy for an expedited trip west. Adding two more days would have made it perfect. Sure not nearly as EZ - EZ as 1,500 mile cake walk ride in the east.

Will try to get a few pics up tonight.

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffH; 07-08-2020, 04:06 PM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• No mans land. The Oklahoma panhandle. 100+ degrees and a 25 - 30mph crosswind. The middle of nowhere. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/gregteter/v...9090031184384/
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          No mans land. The Oklahoma panhandle. 100+ degrees and a 25 - 30mph crosswind. The middle of nowhere. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/gregteter/v...9090031184384/
                          My first 3 hours riding today was perfect. Score a 10. Fun factor = 10. Misery Factor = 0

Then the winds started ramping up. Needed 3 hands. Two for death grip on each handlebar. And one keeping the helmet from getting ripped off when a semi went by eastbound. Barely keep the bike in the lane. Misery factor goes way up as that is grueling hour after hour and it takes its toll. No place to stop.

Motel never looked so good. But riding in tornado or heavy lightening is worse. Know you've BDTD a bunch of times.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Let the 2020 CoVid Colorado Rally Begin

After Months & Months of waiting ......................
                            HERE WE GO !

Rally HQ down there by the lake

Spotted Greg cruising downtown Westcliffe (only 4 blocks so sure not a big downtown, say quaint)

What a guy, actually bringing an XS11 to an XS11 Rally.
                            Kudo's to Greg for making that long hot windy ride on an 11 from Tulsa

Jeff
                            Last edited by JeffH; 07-09-2020, 04:56 PM.
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Heard from Bonz that he was at Rally HQ last night so he is there waiting for today's arrivals.

I rolled into Westcliffe about 1pm. 1,593 mile ride from Atlanta via the whacky route i pieced together. Rode most of the backroads i wanted to ride on the way west. I'd do the same ride again but add two more days which would make is less grueling since there was so much twisty involved in GA, AL, TN, & MO. By west MO of course its flat. But sure have some wild curves in KS where roads jog around the various section lines. Don't expect so many abrupt 90 degree sharp curves when it is totally flat ground. Anyway, had fun. Was a bit grueling. I made it. 3 long days and 2 skimpy ones getting out of Atlanta to TN and from Lamar here today. Average MPH was pretty slow with so much technical curves. Plus a couple mornings leaving before sunrise I was just riding 48mph and enjoying the morning. (no traffic where i was) One place in TN was nuts scary. Right of the white line was just abyss, no shoulder no nothing. Off the white line and you gone. Nobody would ever find a car or truck or bike that just disappeared. White paint and oblivion. Thankfully the bike ran fine, no troubles. Gassed about every 260 miles. With CoVid i didn't stop much at all.

Will find some more pics

Jeff
                              Last edited by JeffH; 07-09-2020, 05:25 PM.
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Hwy 96 coming from Pueblo to Westcliffe
                                Starts out about 5,000 ft on the flat and gradual grade up to 9,000 feet at crest

Think Bonz plans to ride part of that Sunday if we go to Bishops Castle on Hwy 165

Hwy 96 through the San Isabel Forest going up to the crest

Nice Day

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X