2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Old heads??? WTH... I think all of us are over 50...
    Yeah...like I am 64.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Hmmm...never been to Colorado...
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
        Hmmm...never been to Colorado...
        Oughta' give it a go sometime LoHo. I gave the two rallies you all had at Santa Margarita, Cali. a good go.....way fun my friend.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There's a Cali contingent that comes this way every year from San Diego and other places. Get in touch with soccer4m, he rallies the troops out there.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            There's a Cali contingent that comes this way every year from San Diego and other places. Get in touch with soccer4m, he rallies the troops out there.
            Maybe. I talked to 'Roo today and I'll see what's happening and how I feel in July. It would be a lot of fun!
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Be great to have you come out here again Scott!
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey guys! I hate to point out the misfortune of the Bluegrass Festival in Westcliffe, however it has been canceled.

They are in the process of issuing refunds and there should be hotel rooms available for the July 9th through 13 rally dates.

The rally is still a go, we shouldn't have any issues at this point given the nature of what we are doing. Obviously, subject to change.

We could run into issues with restaurants along the ride routes so have to plan that type of thing accordingly but it's still a ways off.

Anyway, I am sure the local businesses would appreciate any hotel reservations you guys could make!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Bob (XJOK2PLAY) reserved two rooms at the Westcliffe inn. Things are opening up. Bohn Frazier is back in the fold this year as well. He'll be caravanning trailers with Bob on the way out. Bob is bringing at least one friend, maybe two. Thus they will need two trailers.

Bob has his Concours 14, Bohn has a K1600 he may want to put some more miles on otherwise he'll bring his 1200GS, Bob's buddy has a new 1250GS. Harry & Russ will be on FJR's, Richard will be coming again riding his 700 Magna.

Joe is talking about bringing an RD350 or RD400 this year. Whichever it is, I know he's done some work on the engine so it's a good little ripper.

My buddy Merlin will be on the ZRX 1100 again, with the addition of an over bore kit and high-compression pistons to go with the 40mm carb adaptation from a ZX-11 that I've been running for five or six years. We will be installing those here in the next month.

Greg will be riding old Okie, it's a fair assumption he's coming, the California connection will be coming with Roo on his VTX 1800, Mike on one of his Yamaha's.

There's a chance 3Phase may join along again with a freshly rebuilt Columbo. Phil may be coming from north of the border, Jeff is threatening to make the trip from Georgia, my friend Scott who is providing us the property to hold the rally on will be on his R1200RT and I'll be on the ZRX 1200. Hoping Jerry can make the trip out from Iowa as well.

Even if you're just thinking about it, add your name to list! If for some reason we get shut down because of the current situation then so be it.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

SHOOT ...........
                    was looking forward to hanging out on the Arkansas in Cotopaxi

but the septic system collapsed and they canceled me.
                    So enacted Plan B, snagged a room at the Inn 9-13.
                    Had to pony up with the $56 non-refundable deposit and agree to their corona arrival procedure. Oh well

Probably need to do a speedy Iron Butt 1,500 to get there if I can make it.
                    Tackling that on a bike that gets 250+ miles per fill-up (like Sprint ST or GL1800) would be far easier and the better tool for this job.

All depends on this darn virus situation anyways -AND- the darn oppressive humidity, severe thunderstorms and all the tornado activity to make it to Colorado

Jeff
                    Last edited by JeffH; 05-17-2020, 07:02 AM.
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hey fellows! I hope you're all doing well! Looking forward to seeing you guys if things continue on the track they are with the current situation.

Putting a new front tire on the ZRX currently and rebuilding the forks. Pulled them apart to put in new bushings, the whole nine yards. Nothing that I could tell was wrong however the bike has 68,000 miles and everyone says bushings should be done a lot sooner with the ZRX or maybe any bike that has that type of system.

The black Teflon coating on the outside of the inner bushing was worn about a third of the way around, the black Teflon coating on the inside of the outer bushing looks as good as the ones I'm going to replace them with.

I can't remember if I've ever been in an ATF vs fork oil discussion however I've been running ATF since I got the bike for well over 40,000 miles, so there's a testament to ATF doing as good a job as fork oil based on other bushings I've seen from other bikes.

Keep chiming in here when you guys can, it's always good to see you pop up on the forum and get the notice there's a new post.

Post up what you're doing for your bike getting ready for the trip, keeps us all interested. Be safe!
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I was going to try and get the engine swapped in Ol' Okie but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Too close to the rally. I'm not like trbig, drop in an engine then test ride it 800 miles on the highway.

I'll just keep the old tired motor in there. It'll be fine. And, I know it's dependable.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Good deal, I can't tell that engine is tired. When you were leading us that bit last year over Red Mountain Pass to the spot the great "Rocky Mountain Breakdown" occurred, I could smell oil in your exhaust but I never saw any puff even with the engine braking going downhill and then rolling on the throttle.

That engine has some history! It's been to the top of Pikes Peak, it's done Trail Ridge Road which is the highest paved road in the United States, it's going to do the second highest paved road in the United States this summer in Cottonwood Pass, and we cannot forget the thankfully uneventful Red Mountain Pass during the rally last year. And it did a huge run up to Montana after the rally last year. That thing is a freaking warrior!

I'm going to feel good with the fresh forks up front on the ZRX, I'm sure it will make a nice difference with new bushings and all. It's just the slow deterioration probably that you don't catch and then you realize what you're missing.

After the forks and new tire go on and a test ride, a new chain and sprockets are going on as well. No oil change planned before the rally, just under 2,000 miles on it since last oil change in the fall with that fancy-dancy Mobil 1 10w40 4T synthetic I run.
                          Last edited by Bonz; 05-19-2020, 05:47 PM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

The usual suspects.

Well it looks like quite a few of the regular guys will be attending the rally again this year as well as a few that have attended in years past along with some new faces.t will be great to see all of you again !A few riding buddies of mine from here in Denver might be joining us on a Venturer and a Polaris,As Howard mentioned I am bring my normal 1100 as well as an RD 350,Did an oil and filter change on the 11 and made sure no cord was showing on rear tire this year !Fluid change, new plugs carb cleaning and synch on the rd so i'm pretty much ready to go, Thanks again Howard for organising and keeping us informed, 70 days to go.....
                            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Bonz, only issue I;ve heard about using ATF as opposed to fork oil is ATF tends to airiate(foam a bit), in which case reduces full lubrication of certain internal components of forks.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Brant! Appreciate the info. Couple things... ATF was recommended to put in motorcycle forks for decades and decades. As well the conditions a transmission operates under with respect to agitating fluid are greater than a motorcycle fork. With those factors and experience of people using ATF I've never come across an issue that someone could empirically state by data or analysis ATF causes issues with lubrication in an enclosed fork where it bathes everything.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X