2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Good deal, I can't tell that engine is tired. When you were leading us that bit last year over Red Mountain Pass to the spot the great "Rocky Mountain Breakdown" occurred, I could smell oil in your exhaust but I never saw any puff even with the engine braking going downhill and then rolling on the throttle.

That engine has some history! It's been to the top of Pikes Peak, it's done Trail Ridge Road which is the highest paved road in the United States, it's going to do the second highest paved road in the United States this summer in Cottonwood Pass, and we cannot forget the thankfully uneventful Red Mountain Pass during the rally last year. And it did a huge run up to Montana after the rally last year. That thing is a freaking warrior!

I'm going to feel good with the fresh forks up front on the ZRX, I'm sure it will make a nice difference with new bushings and all. It's just the slow deterioration probably that you don't catch and then you realize what you're missing.

After the forks and new tire go on and a test ride, a new chain and sprockets are going on as well. No oil change planned before the rally, just under 2,000 miles on it since last oil change in the fall with that fancy-dancy Mobil 1 10w40 4T synthetic I run.
    What you smell is the crankcase vent. It vents under the seat instead of into the airbox since I put the pods on there.

I tried ATF in my forks and found it didn't work as well. I have 1 step heavier oil in my forks and in my shocks. It handles a bit better that way I think.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You load that bike down pretty heavy, I can see how that would help.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

One step heavier weight fork oil is the answer as BA80 has done. As friction causes heat, it also causes wear. The fork dampening orfices over time tend to enlarge slightly from oil friction resulting in reduced dampening. To compensate for this happening, a heavier weight fork oil when used, increases that dampening affect as BA80 has done.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Okay, I have never heard damper rod holes, or rebound and compression valves enlarging from friction from oil.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Regardless, Greg loads his bike down freaking heavy. Heavier oil would be a help with that for damping suspension travel with a heavy load, and give him a firmer feel when the bike isn't loaded to the gills.

ZRX is good with 10 weight/ATF, so there's no need to change anything.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
              Well it looks like quite a few of the regular guys will be attending the rally again this year as well as a few that have attended in years past along with some new faces.t will be great to see all of you again !A few riding buddies of mine from here in Denver might be joining us on a Venturer and a Polaris,As Howard mentioned I am bring my normal 1100 as well as an RD 350,Did an oil and filter change on the 11 and made sure no cord was showing on rear tire this year !Fluid change, new plugs carb cleaning and synch on the rd so i'm pretty much ready to go, Thanks again Howard for organising and keeping us informed, 70 days to go.....
              Hi Joe, first and foremost, really liking those pictures you post up on Facebook, you have such a gift for those amazing views!

Yes it sure going to be great to see everybody again. Once school's out it seems to get here quicker than I realize each year. Teaching online since the end of March has been very different however it's been relatively stress-free doing that from home. Wasn't sure what to expect when it started.

Nice to hear you might have a couple friends come along. Is that Polaris you mention one of the Polaris Slingshots or reference to an Indian?

Lol, no cords is a good start on the tire!

We will do a slow ride-by at the spot on Hwy 69 in remembrance of the first time the baffle blew out of your Kerker. Russ can be behind you which would celebrate remembrance of the second time when it blew out at the Gunnison rally and he had to duck or get hit. Then you and Bob can role-play and recreate the dialogue about where to turn when you get to Westcliffe to meet for lunch after you went back to retrieve the pieces and got separated from the group.

Yes, it's going to be a lot of fun!
              Last edited by Bonz; 05-21-2020, 07:22 AM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Okay, I have never heard damper rod holes, or rebound and compression valves enlarging from friction from oil.
                Well, now you have...…...and it IS true.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Okie dokie!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Okie dokie!
                    Heat=friction=wear....always. BTW Howard, have had my upside-down Shoiwa front forks on my YZ250 so hot after a moto-x race, could not even touch them. BTW Howard, hope the rally works out good for you all attending!
                    Last edited by motoman; 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Brant you said oil causes friction and enlarges the dampening holes. I must have misunderstood, for sure I'm not arguing friction doesn't occur but oil friction enlarging dampening holes doesn't compute.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

well, any fluid be pushed thru a tiny orfice under pressure creates heat(refer to previous post).

Comment

I cannot agree oil flowing through damping orifices in and of itself will enlarge the orifices at all in the context of what we are talking, much less enough to warrant a change to a heavier fork oil.

All right guys, keep getting those bikes ready to ride to Colorado!
                          Last edited by Bonz; 05-22-2020, 06:38 AM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Westward Ho ............

FWIW, Clocks-a-Tickin' so been doing some Colorado Rally planning

My trip will be about 4,000 miles. So i decided riding 4,000 miles on a sport bike would be too much an undertaking (and uncomfortable). Plus dealing with the hot & humid tornado alley (and dodging severe thunderstorms and 110+ temps) wouldn't be comfortable stuck on a sport bike, so the Triumph is out. Limited onboard storage too.

XS11's are apart so that is out. So decided to take the GL-1800. boo-hiss
                            300 miles a tank plus can carry food makes this winged machine the winner. Plus can lug some descent colder weather gear for the high elevation Rally rides that i couldn't carry on the Triumph.

Now just need to get bike ready. It needs tires so I've been looking at some ChaoYang recaps and set of Shengtai recaps but decided on ordering some new E4's. E3's & E4's been a great tire on that bike. Those E4's arrive Tuesday. Then need to freshen up the fluids (FD, oil & filter, forks) it should be ready to take me west.

Still an 'when' about what day is departure day and of course where the storms are. Plan A is boogie to Mobeetie Texas. Plan B is head to Dyersburg Tennessee, cross the mighty Mississippi and scoot across northern Arkansas or southern Missouri. However, likely will be riding Plan C which is a TBD come July 5 or 6 or 7.

Plan to arrive Westcliffe Inn by 3pm on Thursday.
                            Very much looking forward to this rally since i missed last years in Durango.

What's everybody else planning?

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The Great Pumpkin GL1800 as your steed will keep anyone riding with you amazed at YOUR riding ability. You went around the outside going up the backside of Monarch Pass not even working hard. Although after that rally the thunk in my front end turned out to be both damping rods in the ZRX forks had come unattached and I didn't have fork control. Yeah, user error when I put them back after a fork seal change.

Take the straight and open, wick it up and punch a hole in the atmosphere, Jeff!
                              Last edited by Bonz; 05-24-2020, 10:55 AM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Next year!!! Would love to ride out with Jeff this year but dont have the roadburner until August...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X