2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Hello and Happy Christmas Eve to the XS family!

The 2020 location will be Westcliffe Colorado, July 9th-13th.

Thursday is arrival for guys that just want to get on the road and get somewhere, with a ride on Friday. Friday evening 5 pm is the official meet and greet with a cookout dinner, with main rides taking place Saturday and Sunday, head out Monday.

This South Central location offers views of the Collegiate peaks and the newly paved Cottonwood Pass on one of our rides. This pass is now the second highest paved contiguous road in the United States, falls a few feet shy of Trail Ridge road which we rode at the Kremmling rally in 2017.

As well this location is the backyard for many beautiful riding roads and another look at Bishop's Castle as a stopping point which was a hit for the Canon City Rallies.

Command Central and camping will be at a cabin owned by a friend (a few miles north of Westcliffe in the Wet Mountain Valley ) located at DeWeese reservoir.

Camping is in the open, there aren't trees for shelter so it could be windy at times, however the camping is free.

Hotels are available in Westcliffe. Covered deck at the cabin will be the site for evening get-togethers and evening meals. I envision meeting in Westcliffe each morning to begin rides.

Access from Westcliffe is off Hwy 69 via paved roads with a short distance on dirt road to the cabin.

Joe, you won't need to trailer a thing except your bikes this time! We will have a large covered deck with uninterrupted views of the Sangre De Cristo mountains to watch the sunset every evening while we cook dinner. Restaurants are available in Westcliffe for those that want to try some local good cooking.

All right guys, have a Merry Christmas tomorrow and see you in the New Year!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Hey Howard,
    Free camping.....might be enough to get me to finally get my **** together and make the ride to Colorado Been thinking about it for a number of years. I'll be on google maps looking at where the hell Westcliffe is
    and how to get there.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Lol, whatever it takes! It would be great to have you! As in most of Colorado, elevation is fairly high. This will be the highest we've done for a Command Central, 7,867' elevation.
      Last edited by Bonz; 12-26-2019, 05:57 PM.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        Free camping.....might be enough to get me to finally get my **** together and make the ride to Colorado Been thinking about it for a number of years. I'll be on google maps looking at where the hell Westcliffe is and how to get there.
        Phil
        Me too Phil.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Well, I guess I better get busy and swap out that tired engine.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah, who knows if the ride up Pikes Peak might show up... Gotta seat those rings... Maybe if you ran a synthetic oil instead... LOL. Now you'll come to the rally just to kick my butt in person instead of over the forum or in a text.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Yeah, who knows if the ride up Pikes Peak might show up... Gotta seat those rings... Maybe if you ran a synthetic oil instead... LOL. Now you'll come to the rally just to kick my butt in person instead of over the forum or in a text.
              I would need something to stand on.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Good one! What year engine did you say you had to go in there?
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  Good one! What year engine did you say you had to go in there?
                  It's another SF engine. Taking it out of a well kept Special with a bent frame that came from Bob Falter in Iowa. It was crashed several years ago and had been in Bob's shop being meticulously taken care of.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

So that one would have the hotter cams, etc (so to speak) of the earlier models.

You have done the FD mod correct?
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Yes sir. I've had the 850 FD in there since 2010.

The engine I have in there now is from an F parts bike I got from the last Bob Jones memorial rally in KC. Put it in as a temporary replacement when my original 3J6 engine developed a bottom end knock in 2010 - 2011. Just before the first Banned Camp rally here in Oklahoma. Been a workhorse since then. About 150K miles
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

And a workhorse survivor of the Pikes Peak engine heating ceremonial ride of 2016. Lol.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hi from Sun Diego

HOwdy Bonz and other xsessives,,,,,just bumping the thread,,,thanks Big Bonz for getting the upcoming Colo. rally dialed in for the summer. I should be there, looks like Scott, 3phase is up and running on his bikes also. I might have an in on a FREE 80 Xs1100, running and complete, if anyone interested I can contact the local guy....he wants to keep it in the xs crew, anywho,,,hope all your bikes are getting lots of love for upcoming road time,,,,Ride on, Mike in Sun DIego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Hey Mike! Did Phil get ahold of you yet?

He passed through here the other day on his way to San Diego. He's pretty set on being at the rally as well. Long trip from Toronto however.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yep

Howdy Greg, yep Phil left me a message he might get out to San DIego next week, I told him to give me a buzz and we can get together. I think he was stopping at Palm Springs first,,,so hope he can cruise out here,,,a long ways from Canada, much better weather here though,,,70 and sunny for the next 9 months, Ride on,,,,,,Mike in San DIego
                              mike
                              1982 xj1100 maxim
                              1981 venture bagger
                              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                              1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                              X