2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    Got across Kansas in three Nonstop Legs. All on 2 lane highway. Rolled off 230 miles, then coffee & gas. Rolled another 170 mi then gas & quick break from with soup I was packing. Then 170 miles got me to Joplin.

This AM was damp cold foggy 64° and I wore my heavy gloves and liner in my jacket until 3pm. Storms that went through last night sure made it cold. After 3pm it was nice.

Hwy 96 is a great ride. Mostly B+ pavement. Only a few miles of C pavement. Some A too. NO WIND so no wind means NO semi shockwaves. That went well.

So 570 miles on two lane ain't a bad day. Should be in Tennessee tomorrow night.

Jeff

Must have been the storm I chased into Tulsa. It was moving slow, almost caught it. LOL
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Yeah, those storms sure pack a punch. Ferocious lightening to boot
      Not a tree for 200 miles and the top of your helmet is the tallest thing around.
      Glad you were parked when it went over Woodward.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Greg, you got home on Monday right? Or did you do some venturing around before you got home and were still on the road yesterday?
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• So far, so good. Started off in Joplin MO this morning and rode the green green rolling hills of southern Missouri. 78° and sunny. Quite a stark contrast from the severe drought brown of Eastern Colorado. And all the trees and hills vs. FLAT as a pancake. NO Wind today either. Yippie .... Flags all a drooping with 0 mph winds.

Decided that today I should make time to stop for lunch. So saw a store front and stopped in Poplar Bluff Missouri at Mike & Zack's. Excellent and a proper pulled pork succulent BBQ. Just at 1,000 miles out from Castle Rock CO on i25 where I started east.

So today was 437 miles. Now in Lexington Tennessee. Didn't get too awful nasty humid this afternoon as some T Storms popped up and provided some shade and nice breeze. It looks like 365 miles tomorrow will get me back to Atlanta. Just in time for the Friday afternoon traffic follies. Probably head into to north Georgia mountains and approach from the north. Hope the air isn't too hot and steamy for my last leg of this trip.

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 07-16-2020, 07:39 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Hi,
            It has been fun following along with the posts from Colorado. The border remains closed until at least the 21st of August and the way things are going probably even longer.
            special thanks to Jeff for your reports from the road. I am not sure I would have survived the high temperatures you have endured

Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Greg, you got home on Monday right? Or did you do some venturing around before you got home and were still on the road yesterday?
              No wandering. Too hot. Got home Monday noon cranked the AC and cracked a beer.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Got you. I was just wondering how you chased the storms into Tulsa on Wednesday the same day Jeff was dealing with them? LOL.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  Got you. I was just wondering how you chased the storms into Tulsa on Wednesday the same day Jeff was dealing with them? LOL.
                  The storm i was chasing hit Woodward at 2 or 3 AM and had moved just East of Tulsa as I rolled in. Didn't hit any rain but the road got wetter and wetter the closer I got to home. Puddles in my driveway when i pulled into the garage.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Seems Oklahoma is action central and can't stop having those bad storms.

I woke up early Thursday AM in Joplin MO and weather folks said huge line of nasty storms were in Enid / Tulsa heading NE towards Joplin. At 6 AM, so that's some powerful stuff holding together all night and still going at it the next day. That's what pounded Greg I think on Monday night in Woodward. A 2 AM bunch of nasty.

So I got rolling out of Joplin and enjoyed that cool sunny green hills ride east across southern Missouri.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• back home in atlanta

4,013 mile trip
                      1,593 miles west to Colorado / 1,565 miles east back to Atlanta
                      554 miles at the Rally / 301 miles on my Mon / Tues Bonus Ride (Leadville, Vail, Mt Evans area etc.)

Sure enjoyed Cottonwood Pass. Quite a transformation from a gravel road to super engineered mountain 2 lane.

12 Days of twisting the throttle

Last Gas Stop of the trip for some Chevron and load of Fireworks

Near Chattanooga

Sure great to see everyone. Had a very good time.
                      Thanks !

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Thank you Jeff for once again making this supreme effort to attend the rally. As always everyone enjoys the play-by-play of your trip and thanks for that. Enjoy your fireworks!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                          Seems Oklahoma is action central and can't stop having those bad storms.

I woke up early Thursday AM in Joplin MO and weather folks said huge line of nasty storms were in Enid / Tulsa heading NE towards Joplin. At 6 AM, so that's some powerful stuff holding together all night and still going at it the next day. That's what pounded Greg I think on Monday night in Woodward. A 2 AM bunch of nasty.

So I got rolling out of Joplin and enjoyed that cool sunny green hills ride east across southern Missouri.

Jeff
                          Been hot and dry here since I got home Monday. Not sure where you get your weather but I have a perfect view from where i sit
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Been hot and dry here since I got home Monday. Not sure where you get your weather but I have a perfect view from where i sit
                            "a perfect view"..........my guess would be, AC and an adult beverage.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• I bet Greg, and all of us for that matter, would still like to be sitting on the deck of the cabin facing west at sunset with said adult beverage!
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Will try and post a few more Colorado Pics
                                as time allows

Zipping along Hwy 86 near Kiowa and got hungry (Advertising Works)

They sure were looking - like they were Lobsters in the tank at Red Lobster

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X