2020 Colorado Rally, July 9th-13th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Looking forward to today's ride! We're heading over from Command Central to the gas station in about 15 minutes. Thanks to Bob for setting me up with a com system for today!
    My pleasure Sir!

Oh, Many thanks to JeffH for showing me the trick this morning to get logged back in on the site!
    First post in.... a long time!

Anybody miss me?
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR View Post
      Thanks for all the pictures Jeff. Where's Skyline Drive?

I've been through Woodward OK on 412 Greg. Clayton NM to Harrison Ark. Wish I had known about a nice $30 room!
      It's just west of Canon City.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Here are a few more pictures
        before I start packing up to get Rolling.

Jerry at Saturday AM stop

Jerry at Cottonwood Pass

XJOK Bob & Tom at the summit of Cottonwood Pass

great to have Bob back on .com and out here at the Colorado Rally

Greg at the summit of Cottonwood Pass

What we have been waiting for, PAVEMENT
        Gravel road replaced with highly engineered highway 209 Smooth as Silk

Guess that's all for now. I have to get packed up and out of here.
        I decided on a "while i am here" BONUS Day today. Heading north to Leadville and out to Avon. Then ride Loveland Pass.

Jeff
        Last edited by JeffH; 07-13-2020, 08:00 AM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Got home a little before noon. Chased the storm in that soaked my bike last night/early this morning. No rain but plenty of wet road.

Had a great weekend with y'all again as usual. See you next time.

Thanks for hosting Howard and thanks to Scott for the great place to hang out.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Glad you're home safe and sound! We cleaned up the cabin with great help from Harry and Richard this morning. Scott and I left at 10 a.m. for home ourselves. Arrived just about noon Colorado time. Wiped down and lubed the chain, checked tire pressures, put clothes in the wash and just finished a shower. Now thinking about something to eat for lunch.

You can retire that engine now it's done some great riding out here. Time to break another one into the Colorado Rocky Mountain high riding.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• The mountains were ANGRY today. What a change since Saturdays blue sky and no wind.

Got up to B.V. and Mt Antero, Mt Princeton, etc. up to Mt Yale was a wall of black. Heading downslope into the valley. 306 to Cottonwood Pass was a no go on a motorcycle. Did OK and no rain gear required but it did rain some then spit, then rain & wind. Pretty wet in spots. Those raining but sunny skies thing. Got into three downdraft microbursts that about picked the bike up and laid it on its side. Before the Independence Pass turn off. Otherwise a great ride. Temps Yo-Yo'd between 95° and 59° with some 59° late this afternoon.

Skipped lunch in Leadville and rode up to Midturn via Tennessee Pass. Glad I kept going or I would have gotten drenched. Skipped Loveland Pass too. Wind was screaming and kept spitting huge rain drops. Skies to the west were very dark.

Got it parked at Indian Hot Springs. Wanted to see that. 87° here and the old place has no A/C. I pack a fan so that should take the edge off. Hear boom going off nearby. Plan to monkey around tomorrow and land in Eads then Wed blast to Joplin or whatever weather allows.

Rally was great. Certainly glad we could all get together.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 07-13-2020, 06:25 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                The mountains were ANGRY today. What a change since Saturdays blue sky and no wind.

Got up to B.V. and Mt Antero, Mt Princeton, etc. up to Mt Yale was a wall of black. Heading downslope into the valley. 306 to Cottonwood Pass was a no go on a motorcycle. Did OK and no rain gear required but it did rain some then spit, then rain & wind. Pretty wet in spots. Those raining but sunny skies thing. Got into three downdraft microbursts that about picked the bike up and laid it on its side. Before the Independence Pass turn off. Otherwise a great ride. Temps Yo-Yo'd between 95° and 59° with some 59° late this afternoon.

Skipped lunch in Leadville and rode up to Midturn via Tennessee Pass. Glad I kept going or I would have gotten drenched. Skipped Loveland Pass too. Wind was screaming and kept spitting huge rain drops. Skies to the west were very dark.

Got it parked at Indian Hot Springs. Wanted to see that. 87° here and the old place has no A/C. I pack a fan so that should take the edge off. Hear boom going off nearby. Plan to monkey around tomorrow and land in Eads then Wed blast to Joplin or whatever weather allows.

Rally was great. Certainly glad we could all get together.

Jeff
                Wow, Jeff! What a change! Glad you're ok, brother!

We all made it home safe and sound. Unpacked, trailer stored, bike under cover... until next time!

All of us from Oklahoma are grateful to all who participated in this year's rally, and to all who contributed to make it so great!
                We had a blast, and it ws SO great to see you all again after almost 4 years!
                I'm very thankful, because I was really missing you guys!

Soecial thanks to Bonz for all you did to put it all together and for pre-riding the routes. As always, you did an incredable job, my friend.

Jeff, thanks for all you did too! So great to see ya again and sure enjoyed our time. Pics are really appreciated!

You guys, (and Mocha!) ROCK!!
                Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• In Castle Rock taking a break.
                  Is temp like it has been here on the front range? 90° - 95° - 100° ?
                  Nope a very pleasant 75°
                  Probably COLD up in the high mountains again today.

Had a fantastic AM ride, fantastic, around Mt Evans and back roads to the east. Some real nice roads and scenery. NO cars. Just gassed up and need to scat as NOAA weather calling for Wind, Heavy Rain & 1" hail around here. Think they were saying over Bonz & Joes house. Hope they are hunkered down.

So I am out of the mountains and back on the flat. About 1,500 miles back to Atlanta. Short run to Eads for tonight then get up at 05:00 and head as far as I can get across Kansas tomorrow. Head towards Joplin if weather allows.

Getting dark grey just to the west. Can't see the Rockies anymore as grey clouds filling in and heading downslope. Think I hear thunder. Sunny to the east where I'm heading. Later .....

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• I'm not even 20 miles south of you in Palmer Lake. Had some big thunder booms but clouds don't look like they have any rain in them right now.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

In Castle Rock taking a break.
                      Is temp like it has been here on the front range? 90° - 95° - 100° ?
                      Nope a very pleasant 75°
                      Probably COLD up in the high mountains again today.

Had a fantastic AM ride, fantastic, around Mt Evans and back roads to the east. Some real nice roads and scenery. NO cars. Just gassed up and need to scat as NOAA weather calling for Wind, Heavy Rain & 1" hail around here. Think they were saying over Bonz & Joes house. Hope they are hunkered down.

So I am out of the mountains and back on the flat. About 1,500 miles back to Atlanta. Short run to Eads for tonight then get up at 05:00 and head as far as I can get across Kansas tomorrow. Head towards Joplin if weather allows.

Getting dark grey just to the west. Can't see the Rockies anymore as grey clouds filling in and heading downslope. Think I hear thunder. Sunny to the east where I'm heading. Later .....

Jeff

Jeff,
                      Hydrate well, and ride safe as ya cross Kansas.

Temp in Skiatook today was 94 w/ H.I. of 107.
                      Told compared to the last several days, this was COOL.

Started trying to re-acclimate today...
                      this air's a LOT thicker!

No cool mornings or evenings, either!

Be safe my friend!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Bob's,

You left Westcliffe tooo soon. Miss Texas left her cellphone in her room and put the key in the lockbox. Office was closed. You were gone. So I helped
                        And saved the day.

BTW, after getting into the room to get the cellphone; then she drove away in that shiny blue Nissan with the trunk lid open.

Its really cooled off big time. Major boom boom and tornado warnings just south of here. Will follow the cold front as it heads east. Taking northerly route and expect temps in low 90°. Piece of cake. All good.

Jeff
                        Last edited by JeffH; 07-14-2020, 08:36 PM.
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Thanks for joining us.

Thanks to all that attended this years rally,It was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones too. Sorry some of the "usual suspects"Mike,Roo and Three phase were unable to attend,hopefully they will return in the future.Thanks Jeff H for the ride reports and updates along your journey, I know EXACTLY the roads you took by Mt Evans and heading east of there, I call that my 100 mile loop round trip from my house , Great roads and plenty to see. Safe journeys as you drift across the plains back home !
                          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Bob's,

You left Westcliffe tooo soon. Miss Texas left her cellphone in her room and put the key in the lockbox. Office was closed. You were gone. So I helped
                            And saved the day.

BTW, after getting into the room to get the cellphone; then she drove away in that shiny blue Nissan with the trunk lid open.

Its really cooled off big time. Major boom boom and tornado warnings just south of here. Will follow the cold front as it heads east. Taking northerly route and expect temps in low 90°. Piece of cake. All good.

Jeff
                            Awww, Man!! Lol!
                            Sounds like she was slightly "attention deficited..."

And she offered no reward to her hero?? Bummer!

You a good man, anyway.

Stay dry, buddy!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Got across Kansas in three Nonstop Legs. All on 2 lane highway. Rolled off 230 miles, then coffee & gas. Rolled another 170 mi then gas & quick break from with soup I was packing. Then 170 miles got me to Joplin.

This AM was damp cold foggy 64° and I wore my heavy gloves and liner in my jacket until 3pm. Storms that went through last night sure made it cold. After 3pm it was nice.

Hwy 96 is a great ride. Mostly B+ pavement. Only a few miles of C pavement. Some A too. NO WIND so no wind means NO semi shockwaves. That went well.

So 570 miles on two lane ain't a bad day. Should be in Tennessee tomorrow night.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Good riding Jeff!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X