No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must have height distortion... The ST (Super Tenere) has a seat height around 34". The Venturer is about 32.5" and I always thought you were on your tip toes getting the bike off the center stand.

Note the Super Tenere is an "ST". Oughta be right at home for you.

I like that blue color as well.
    Last edited by Bonz; 12-30-2015, 10:30 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      I must have height distortion... The ST (Super Tenere) has a seat height around 34". The Venturer is about 32.5" and I always thought you were on your tip toes getting the bike off the center stand.

Your first thought is wrongo-bongo my friend. After 50yrs. riding, and throw in a solid 25yrs. of that semi-professional moto-cross, thinkin' maybe I DO know what is what, and the difference if any...........no reminders of the ST needed, but Super Tenere I'll take, anytime, anyplace.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Wrongo-bongo? Lol.

Happy New Year!
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Wrongo-bongo? Lol.

Happy New Year!
          A Happy and SAFE New Years to you and family also Howard!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ok guys, what about July 8-11 (Friday-Monday)? Arrive Friday, group rides Saturday and Sunday, head out Monday.

I am thinking the Black Canyon of the Gunnison as was posted early on as the main draw, with numerous options for other rides. As well, the Bishops Castle/Pikes Peak combo we did in '14 is always a winner and guys loved it.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Ok guys, what about July 8-11 (Friday-Monday)? Arrive Friday, group rides Saturday and Sunday, head out Monday.

I am thinking the Black Canyon of the Gunnison as was posted early on as the main draw, with numerous options for other rides. As well, the Bishops Castle/Pikes Peak combo we did in '14 is always a winner and guys loved it.
              Soumds like a good time period Howard. Apparently, sounds like two other rallies(ST) are already planned for this area before and after your time suggestion. One is being hosted again by Smash(previous member here) at KOA between Ridgeway and Ouray. The other one is end of August(don't know the host) here out of Grand Junction. Expecting again several hundred riders same as this past summer. May possibly attend one or the other just to say "hi". Getting closer to your time choice will determine as to my again riding ability. Could possibly be able to do a 2hr. or bit more cosistant ride by then. I'll know more as to my balance and ability this spring. From what doctors have told me, even a tip-over while stopped could very well put me permanently in a wheel chair. We'll just have to see how it all goes once I throw a leg over the 'ole Venturer.
              Last edited by motoman; 01-27-2016, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Ouch

Oh that hurts, as I have a son getting married that weekend, anytime after is cool but swmbo would strangle me missing the wedding. SO, if dates are set have a great time and us california xs crew will try to cruise out there this summer after the rally just to bug Motoman and others.......Mike in Sun DIego
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                  Oh that hurts, as I have a son getting married that weekend, anytime after is cool but swmbo would strangle me missing the wedding. SO, if dates are set have a great time and us california xs crew will try to cruise out there this summer after the rally just to bug Motoman and others.......Mike in Sun DIego
                  Come on out this way anytime Mike! Got several different styles and mountain elevation riding within 30min. of here. Your always welcome here my friend!

Comment

If I were 6'11" like yourself, I'd have height distortion also.

Comment

I wanted to get the ball rolling again before too much more moss grew on it and a date was the next thing to throw out there. Thanks for the feedback.

What do you all think about the next week, July 15-18? Same thing, arrive Friday head out Monday.

Thoughts?

Works well for me, and could be helpful by distancing from the 4th of July weekend a bit more so folks aren't gone two weekends in a row as well, other than Mike with his sons wedding. Congrats to you guys on that!

XJOK, Bohn, CZ, RDMCGUY and others, you guys got your ears on and checking the dates? Keep posting up questions, etc.

Let's get a feel for the location. Black canyon of the Gunnison is one option that is different than any others we have done, or could do a similar ride like we did in '14 by basing from the Royal Gorge area.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Not sure what you mean by visibility is poor and dodging on-coming cagers? Have you ridden one? You sit up nice and high for a great view of the road, and the frontal area of the Spyder is like that of a small car for being seen. Plus, they don't tip over...

With regards to Scott, his mom is not doing well? And he had a stent put in? That is a lot going on and stress for sure.
                        As you know, found out about lack of visibility back in June. Gave me a two month hospital stay.

Comment

I wanted to get the ball rolling again before too much more moss grew on it and a date was the next thing to throw out there. Thanks for the feedback.

What do you all think about the next week, July 15-18? Same thing, arrive Friday head out Monday.

Thoughts?

Works well for me, and could be helpful by distancing from the 4th of July weekend a bit more so folks aren't gone two weekends in a row as well, other than Mike with his sons wedding. Congrats to you guys on that!

XJOK, Bohn, CZ, RDMCGUY and others, you guys got your ears on and checking the dates? Keep posting up questions, etc.

Let's get a feel for the location. Black canyon of the Gunnison is one option that is different than any others we have done, or could do a similar ride like we did in '14 by basing from the Royal Gorge area.
                          Arriving where?...........that always helps.

Comment

In Colorado. . Asking for some opinions, (i.e. "let's get a feel for locations") would love to hear from guys that wanna come from afar. Sorry, probably wasn't clear in the last post.

I have two sites mentioned in the last post, and dates. July 15-18, The Black Canyon of the Gunnison (camp around Montrose/Blue Mesa Reservoir) which started the thread, and also the potential to do another Pikes Peak/Bishops Castle ride with base camp around Canon City.

Chime in guys!

Thoughts?
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I'll be there !

Hello guys ,
                              Any dates are good for me and I am open to wherever is decided about locations ...
                              I can trailer a couple of bikes down so we will have a spare for anyone that might need it . Should anyones bike bike need to be retrieved during the festivities We will have truck and trailer ...I can probably scrounge up some firewood and bring coolers too .
                              My home is open for guests as a rest stop on their way in or out of town also ..
                              So let's keep this moving forward ...
                              78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

For those not familiar with Colorado...
                                A Canon City (or nearby) location offers more loop rides and includes the Royal Gorge, Pike's Peak, and Air Force Academy areas to ride in. Not far away are the old mining towns of Cripple Creek and Victor. There are some good rides and many attractions in the area.

I did the Air Force Academy a few years ago and it is worth a stop if you have never been there.

Gunnison / Blue Mesa area is more rural and has fewer attractions but has some excellent scenery by means of some longer rides. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a nice ride as is going south to Lake City and Creede. 2 of the passes on this route are over 11,000 feet. You can also go east into Crested Butte but neither is a loop drive, return the way you came. (Creede route could be a loop drive depending on time and a few other routes can be loops as well.)

Either venue can also get you to Great Sand Dunes park (requires an entrance fee) but would be an all-day trip and unless you are into sand (it is worth a visit!) this may not be many people's cup of tea.

So, long days and mountain scenery = Blue Mesa. Shorter rides and more well-known attractions = Canon City.

I have not ridden the Canon City area in quite a while and would be up for a rally based in that area. Last time I rode Pike's Peak it was still dirt / gravel most of the way and I did it on my Honda CB 450.
                                Jerry Fields
                                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                                '06 Concours
                                My Galleries Page.
                                My Blog Page.
                                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                                X