No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the descriptions, Jerry! Pikes Peak is paved all the way to the top and I got a group discount when we showed up last year by paying for all the guys at once so they could let us all through at the same time. And they took care of us on the way down at the brake check station, waved us all through at once.

If I had to choose a venue, it would be the Canon City area. It's easier to make shorter rides into longer ones than to make longer rides short. Hotel accommodations are fairly close to the campground (10-12 minute ride) for those that don't want to tent, and we have better (more) eating options on the whole. With a couple good eating places right across the highway from the campground. Also, the helicopter tour of the Royal Gorge is available and the Park is open again after the rebuilding from the fire a few years ago.

RDMCGUY, awesome stuff for you to offer to do and bring. Everything you said is a welcome addition. Very thoughtful.

RDMCGUY, what do you think? CZ, you got your ears on? Motoman what ya' thinkin'? San Diego Mike what about you and Roo? Scott, are you lurking? JWHughes, where are you in the world right now? All you other hooligans in the Midwest, you wanna pony up and come out this way? XJOK, Bohn, BA80, etc.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Mid JUly

HOWDY BONZ and all the Colorado folks,,,,,mid July is great,,, the wedding stuff is over and anywhere you or Jerry think is good is fine as I am clueless about Your area........I will try and drag a few folks along also,,,,bro in law- Tom, Roo, Scott if he is vertical and others to the fine riding area of Colo.. Your last riding routes were cool, especially the "Castle" built by the unique character. Hope all the area xs ers can come.......Mike
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Hey, Howard...
        Thanks for the invite!
        I really enjoyed the '14 rally in Canon City.

I'll talk to Bohn and see what his agenda is going to be for the summer.
        Greg's been saying he's wanting to plan some trips... maybe we can make a plan.

Back in '14, I rode to Salina, met Bohn at a truck stop. I loaded my bike in his trailer, and we drove from there. Did the reverse on the way back.

When I left out at 6 am to meet Bohn in Salina, it was 34 degrees and pouring rain. It rained big time on me the entire 5 hrs. to Salina. Bohn's truck was a welcome sight!

On the return trip, I unloaded my bike in Salina, and it was sunny and 105 degrees all the way home...

Folks can rib me all they want to about not riding the whole trip, but that was one time I welcomed that truck!

We'll see what we can get planned and let ya know.
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

OK, let's make the dates of July 15-18 a GO, and go with what we had with Echo Canyon Campground in '14 and their group site.

I will make a call and make sure we can have those dates, unless I hear otherwise with objections.

Once that is done, then guys can look at the many inexpensive but nice hotels in Canon City if they don't want to camp. Also, the campground has a few rustic small cabins. www.echocanyoncampground.com

Looking forward to it!
          Last edited by Bonz; 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Howard,
            Bohn and I are putting it on our calendar to attend.
            I'll talk to Miles, and see if he can make it, too.
            Be nice if you two could get acquainted.

He just bought a new GSA about 9 months ago.
            So he's got a good bike, now.
            Challenge for him is time off from work. He works all the time.

I figure Greg and Tod will see this, and hopefully be able to come, too.

Maybe a bunch of us will make this one this year...?
            Look forward to seeing you guys again!
            Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Great to hear! Excited to see who all joins us this year.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

The (un) usual suspects !

It looks like some of the previous attendees will be heading this way again .
                Maybe some new faces will be there as well ..
                Howard maybe when you set up the route you can make it "right" handed for XJOK2PLAY's sake ...wouldn't want him to get lost!!!
                I look forward to seeing you guys again !
                78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                  It looks like some of the previous attendees will be heading this way again .
                  Maybe some new faces will be there as well ..
                  Howard maybe when you set up the route you can make it "right" handed for XJOK2PLAY's sake ...wouldn't want him to get lost!!!
                  I look forward to seeing you guys again !
                  What's the old saying... ?
                  Everybody likes a little smart...
                  Everybody likes a little***...
                  But nobody likes a little smart***...

See... that's just it, Joe...
                  I NEVER got lost.

Now... who's bike was it that dropped it's exhaust on the side of the road, forcing it's owner to turn around, go back and find it, and put it back on?
                  Hmmmnn?

And... who was it that didn't know where the restraunt was where we were stopping for lunch, and called the guy from outta state for directions??

Ohhhhh yeah...... That would be... YOU, Joe.

Howard, we just need to make sure all the bolts are tight on Joe's bike before we leave out, and make sure he has EVERYBODY'S phone number, along with a map of the route plan!! Oh... and make sure he's riding in the center of the group, not the back.

BwaHahahahahahaha....

Hey... a guy's gotta have some fun...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Come on Bob, we are in a slow moving winter storm out here, and all you can do is remind us of warm days and good riding? And fallen exhausts...
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Ahhh yes, memories of Colorado in the springtime......

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

You coming out when the weather is NICE this summer and you aren't repairing a bike? Ha-Ha!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          Come on Bob, we are in a slow moving winter storm out here, and all you can do is remind us of warm days and good riding? And fallen exhausts...
                          Uhhh... Sorry, Man! Lol...

Just remembering good times!

Not to rub it in or anything, but did get to ride about 250 miles this weekend here in the Tulsa area! We had 60-70 degrees this weekend!
                          So, I rode, baby! Sure was good...

If you guys are like me, having to park the bike for a couple of months due to bad weather makes me get antsy and cranky!

Nothing like a ride to sort out what ails ya!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

With any luck, I will be attending this rally. Pasted years seemed that something in life kept form being able to go. A friend of mine has agreed to go with me so I have an extra incentive to go.

Now to get some heat in my garage to get the bikes ready...
                            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                              With any luck, I will be attending this rally. Pasted years seemed that something in life kept form being able to go. A friend of mine has agreed to go with me so I have an extra incentive to go.

Now to get some heat in my garage to get the bikes ready...
                              .......least it's all downhill this far tcoop,unless you take the more scenic/ coolor route back way and come over Douglas Pass via Park City,Utah.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That is definitely ab option. I really do not like long stretches on the interstates. The back roads are almost always better for riding.
                                Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                                80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                                82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                                82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                                82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                                72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                                72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                                X