2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Colorado/Western Rally

I would like to get the ball rolling for next summer. I am thinking western Colorado, home-base around the Blue Mesa Reservoir, west of Gunnison on Hwy 50. A main day ride would be the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Read up!

http://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvisit/directions.htm
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

I've ridden the Black Canyon on Hwy 92 and it is a good ride. Few guard rails though. There are a couple of good stopping points along the way, one at the top of the canyon has rest facilities and offers a good view of the canyon and beyond. Another stop offers view into the canyon (Cross Fissure View) and more toilets.

Montrose is about 15 miles from the entrance and offers the whole range of eateries from fast food to nice sit-down places.

National Park Service link for Black Canyon is
    http://www.nps.gov/blca/index.htm

I've never camped at Blue Mesa but have heard good things about it.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks Jerry. Setting home base closer to Montrose opens up Ouray/Silverton/Telluride possibilities, closer to Gunnison gets us Crested Butte, or and Pikes Peak for another nice longer day ride in addition to the Black Canyon. Doing a couple of day rides and making it longer than a weekend makes it a really worthwhile trip for those travelling from further away. Riding Pikes Peak was a huge hit with the 2014 Rally. Can't get tired of that really!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Count me in !!!

I will be there wherever "there" winds up being ,
        I will even consider bring a couple of 11's including "El Toro " as a backup or spare Yes I did replace that ridiculous rear tire Bonz,
        Fixed the rear brakes too ..no more dragging !!!
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Haven't seen any kind of a date thrown out yet.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Looking for the interest in general. Would a date at this point be helpful?
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

It could be helpful. I can say with some certainty that May is a little early for the ride from Ouray to Silverton.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah, what were you thinking?

The Durango Rally a few years back was 4th of July weekend, 2014 Colorado Rally was July 20-ish.

Weather-wise July is hot, but makes high elevation riding nice like when going up Pikes Peak. Precipitation is generally not a big factor overall, but can rain anytime just like we found out coming back from Pikes Peak in 2014.

I feel mid-July (any weekend after the 4th of July weekend) is the target time frame. With arrival on a Thursday for rides Friday/Saturday and Sunday as either head home or hangout, fish, etc and head out Monday. Guys can arrive when they want or need to, no hard and fast requirements in that regard. Plug into whatever is going on when they get here.

Thoughts?
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Any time is a good time

Mid July might be a little better less 4th of July traffic,
                  Again, all are welcome to stop by my shack on the way in or out to hang around do any repairs or do a ride or two on some of my favorite Mt twisties
                  78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                    Yes I did replace that ridiculous rear tire Bonz,
                    Fixed the rear brakes too ..no more dragging !!!

Uuuuum, how about the muffler?

CZ

Comment

He fixed the muffler "right" there on the highway with the tools he had "left" in his kit.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

What ???

Couldn't quite hear ya Cz , No, still no mufflers but if you remember I did bring them with me ....Oh and Bonz The "left " comment did not escape my attention ...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          Yeah, what were you thinking?
                          We were thinking Durango by dark and into southern Utah/northern Arizona the next day.

But, trbig's XJ had to break at the top of the Red Mountain pass. (The pic)
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            It could be helpful. I can say with some certainty that May is a little early for the ride from Ouray to Silverton.

Yeppers.........two weeks later, and that white stuff would of been traded for green stuff and temps. to go with it.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                              Thanks Jerry. Setting home base closer to Montrose opens up Ouray/Silverton/Telluride possibilities, closer to Gunnison gets us Crested Butte, or and Pikes Peak for another nice longer day ride in addition to the Black Canyon. Doing a couple of day rides and making it longer than a weekend makes it a really worthwhile trip for those travelling from further away. Riding Pikes Peak was a huge hit with the 2014 Rally. Can't get tired of that really!
                              ........Some good eateries for lunch at Crested Butte also. No early start needed for that either.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X