No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the road over Cottonwood pass do-able on an XS for the most part? I know it has gravel, but would be a great way to get over to Buena Vista and some nice riding back over Monarch Pass to make a loop out of it for a day ride.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Is the road over Cottonwood pass do-able on an XS for the most part? I know it has gravel, but would be a great way to get over to Buena Vista and some nice riding back over Monarch Pass to make a loop out of it for a day ride.
      Cottonwood is ALL gravel..........would'nt want to have gravel beating up my chrome pipes. Your ride suggestion would be WAY to long a day anyways.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Regardless of length, the extended gravel component isn't gonna work! A number of years ago I took that route from Buena Vista to Crested Butte and remembered pavement on each end of the route with gravel in the middle. Couldn't recall if more of it had been paved since then.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Cottonwood is ALL gravel..........would'nt want to have gravel beating up my chrome pipes. Your ride suggestion would be WAY to long a day anyways.
          Looks like the gravel portion is about to be paved.
          Darn, I kinda wanted to do it if I ever get out that way again.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
            Looks like the gravel portion is about to be paved.
            Darn, I kinda wanted to do it if I ever get out that way again.
            Yeppers........that's a long haul for ya Dean, even on the STeed, but i know you want to.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Gravel is always a question and many have a reluctance to ride on it. However, in Colorado, many scenic drives involve some gravel roads. For instance, there is a gravel road out of Crested Butte, near Blue Mesa, that travels over Kebler Pass (9,980 foot elevation) into the small town of Paonia, thus enabling a long loop that can begin and end at the campground. I like this road and most of the time the county has treated it with dust suppressant and it is nearly like riding on blacktop. However, the conditions can vary during the summer.

I don't mind riding on gravel provided I can set my own pace when doing so. Cottonwood pass is another example of a nice road that (at least in the past) has involved some gravel stretches.

Generally it is not a good idea to include gravel roads in a rally as many attendees are wary of such rides. However, for those who care to tackle these, the range of options opens up when planning routes.

We did Pike's Peak in 2001 and Durango in 2011, both are good venues. If you contact the Pike's Peak people they will generally offer group discounts.

I have a gallery of photos from the 2011 Durango Rally on my web site or the direct link is http://appleattic.net/Galleries/colorado_11.html
              This collection includes some shots in and around Telluride and of the Million Dollar Highway, Ouray to Durango. This route, however, makes a very long day if based out of Blue River.

A note on weather. Layering clothing for the range of elevation changes (translates into temperature changes) and bringing some rain gear is always a good idea now matter when you ride out here. Sunblock and gloves are also a good idea.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

gravel

Nothing wrong with a little sand or gravel.
                Kind of fun to get a little sideways as I have been known to do to which Bonz and CZ can attest to ....
                A little short tracking on an 11 !!!
                78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Rally TIme

HOwdy Colorado folks,,,,,a few of us in So Cal have been following the rally thread and agree the Pikes Peak, the crazy castle guy and Jerry's country music place- forgot the name, El TOro, and the great xs crew from Colo. make the rallies there huge fun. Hope the rally can happen, August would be best for us as July is booked. All is well, Roo and Me went to Sturgis Rally last year, what a scene, over a million Harleys- all years, customs, etc....along with the great riding roads in the area. A definate trip and will go again next year if anyone is interested. We hoped to get Motoman out there but some crazy person nearly took him out, so we stopped on the way back and tried to cheer him up. Anyway, if the rally can happen next late summer that would be great and a few of us Cali xs will be there.......... Mike in Sun Diego
                  mike
                  1982 xj1100 maxim
                  1981 venture bagger
                  1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                  1959 wife

Comment

August is when the Lost Rally is.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Nice to see the Cali contingent! Happy to hear you guys are doing well. What bike is Roo riding now? Still the big Kawasaki V-twin tourer? How is the XJ? Is all of July out of the question? August starts to get into weather issues, with rain and can have snow up high (yeah, really!) which makes temps suck and riding not as fun.

Lost Rally? Where is it? No, not being a smart a**, really, where is it located?
                      Last edited by Bonz; 12-07-2015, 10:10 PM.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        Lost Rally? Where is it? No, not being a smart a**, really, where is it located?
                        Check the rally section, North Central. I've been to the Lost Rally when it was in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and last year in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

It moves around.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Lost Rally?

Hi again Bonz,,,same question about the Lost Rally-where and when? The thread was for last year...anyway, Roo is riding his xs1100 bobber around town, his Kawi 1500 nomad for distance, the xj1100 is still the king in my stable and purring after 135k, Scott is fixing his Columbo?, Motoman sounds like he might be riding soon and hoping a late July, August Colo. rally can happen....the xs,xj are ready to rumble......Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                            Hi again Bonz,,,same question about the Lost Rally-where and when? The thread was for last year...anyway, Roo is riding his xs1100 bobber around town, his Kawi 1500 nomad for distance, the xj1100 is still the king in my stable and purring after 135k, Scott is fixing his Columbo?, Motoman sounds like he might be riding soon and hoping a late July, August Colo. rally can happen....the xs,xj are ready to rumble......Mike in Sun Diego
                            If you read back over previous years the rally is always in August.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

HIgh plains drifters ..

It's nice to see some interest in a rally here in Colorado this year ...
                              It would be great to see you guys again and maybe meet some new friends ,
                              Hey Sundiego Mike ...next time you are on your way to Sturgis know you and crew are more than welcome to stop by , Tell roo he gets first opportunity to ride El Toro as he was only one brave enough to attempt last time ,
                              78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

I'm interested in going if the timing is right. Sometime in June/July works best for me. August youth football starts and this is my last year coaching and I don't want to miss any of it.

Now to get the bikes into rally shape...
                                Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                                80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                                82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                                82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                                82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                                72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                                72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                                X