2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    The XJ runs 47.5 pilots and a smaller pilot air jet too.
    Yeppers.......correct my friend. Even though we kinda got off track from the rally portion, all this input from us may be of some reference and help to others.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• What do you think get's talked about at a rally?
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

What do you think get's talked about at a rally?
        True..........in which case if the YICS were blocked off for setting idle mixtures and syncing on the XJ, and then left blocked off, wouldn't even consider using the Mikuni XJ carbs as they come stock. Would definitely change air jet, main jets, metering rods and pilot jets corresponding to 81Special models or change carb bank using 80-81Special carbs. Something to always consider with the XJ1100 motor.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Tod put a Dynojet kit in his I think. He has XS jugs on his XJ.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tod put a Dynojet kit in his I think. He has XS jugs on his XJ.
            Yeppers he did............seems to run fine, and he all but hung with my Honda ST on a short acceleration contest.

Comment

• I've seen Tod push sport bikes in the twisties on that old XJ. It ain't all bike, dude can ride.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I've seen Tod push sport bikes in the twisties on that old XJ. It ain't all bike, dude can ride.
                +1 !!!

I watched him ride side by side w/ Cody on his modified C14 in the Colorado mountains at triple digits.

He made that XJ do things Yamaha never designed it to do!

Cody said he'd steal quick glances over at Tod's bike in the curves, and he could literaly see smoke coming off the rear wheel from slipping in the curves!! Said it freaked him out that Tod's old bike could keep up that well with his Connie.

All I knew was I was a good mile back, could see the two of them clearly, and for periods of over an hour I had not gone slower than 120... and I was that still that far back.
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Tod put a Dynojet kit in his I think. He has XS jugs on his XJ.
                  Yes, he put a DJ kit in. He said he never saw the gas mileage improvements mine saw when I did mine though. Mine went from 32 to 40 average.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

If you ever rode a 78 or 79 and compare to the 80 you'll understand what I'm saying. The earlier engines have a whole different feel. The only difference in the 78 and 79 engines are the 78 timing starts out and advances quicker.
                    This is totally true!
                    There were totally different idle lopes, sounds, torque feel, and speed differences between the '79 and the '82 Maxim.

The '79 E sounded like a hot rod with a high lift cam.
                    The '82 Maxim sounded like a sedate sedan...

Amazing the difference between the 2 bikes.
                    The Maxim ran "OK"... but nothing like that '79 did.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                      Yes, he put a DJ kit in. He said he never saw the gas mileage improvements mine saw when I did mine though. Mine went from 32 to 40 average.
                      Well, 100mph is where he cruises. When we left Albuquerque headed home from the trip at the first gas stop he asked if I would mind if he took off at a faster pace. I didn't mind.

85 wasn't fast enough for him.....
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well, 100mph is where he cruises. When we left Albuquerque headed home from the trip at the first gas stop he asked if I would mind if he took off at a faster pace. I didn't mind.

85 wasn't fast enough for him.....
                        Hahaha! Good point!

...and we both know how much the fuel mileage plummets on an XS11 once you pass the 65-70 mph range.

But that's even true on my C14.
                        Mine gets great economy around 60-65...
                        -not so much, the faster I go past that.

But, it's also not always about saving money on gas, either.

Sometimes, ya just wanna get home asap, too.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Wish in one hand...

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                          JeffH,
                          Any chance Brent might be able to come with you?
                          Might ask him...
                          Thank you for asking. Jeff & I did speak briefly. Chances look slim for me. My sickly wife has been slow to recover, and needs some help & care. Jeff did not rub it in other to say that "yes he has made a reservation." (Knowing that I am sensitive to PMS, He was careful not to exacerbate my condition.) I have been Lurking at this. I have ridden with many of the folks going there and would like to see them again. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is on my list of rides yet to DO.

A chance? It is still is over 3 months away...Maybe. I will try some Women's Multi Pack Vitamins and see how it goes. My bikes do still start and run. I rode the newest one a short distance to grocery store today.

Ride when you can,
                          It is a great big beautiful world out there
                          Brent in GA
                          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                            Hahaha! Good point!

...and we both know how much the fuel mileage plummets on an XS11 once you pass the 65-70 mph range.

But that's even true on my C14.
                            Mine gets great economy around 60-65...
                            -not so much, the faster I go past that.

But, it's also not always about saving money on gas, either.

Sometimes, ya just wanna get home asap, too.
                            Thanks Bob,
                            With miles to go before I sleep I am less concerned about the fuel consumption...until the Visa arrives
                            Interstate speed of 75 to 80 feels so comfortable on the Venturer
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Thanks Bob,
                              With miles to go before I sleep I am less concerned about the fuel consumption...until the Visa arrives
                              Interstate speed of 75 to 80 feels so comfortable on the Venturer
                              Haha...
                              Ride safe and arrive safe, my friend.
                              Venturer's are cool!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                Thank you for asking. Jeff & I did speak briefly. Chances look slim for me. My sickly wife has been slow to recover, and needs some help & care. Jeff did not rub it in other to say that "yes he has made a reservation." (Knowing that I am sensitive to PMS, He was careful not to exacerbate my condition.) I have been Lurking at this. I have ridden with many of the folks going there and would like to see them again. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is on my list of rides yet to DO.

A chance? It is still is over 3 months away...Maybe. I will try some Women's Multi Pack Vitamins and see how it goes. My bikes do still start and run. I rode the newest one a short distance to grocery store today.

Ride when you can,
                                Brent,
                                It would be great to get to see you again if you can make the Colorado rally, but totally understand your situation at home if you can't.

Still praying for your wife's health. Hope she feels better soon.

Do you still have your red Harley? Did you get the motor rebuilt?
                                Thought you just had the new black one, now...

Fingers are crossed, and hope the mega-vitamins work!
                                Be well, my friend.
                                Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                                X