2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home safe!

Just pulled in about midnight local. About 900+ miles and 16hrs on the nose. Was on target for 13 hrs and 300 miles from home in Nowhere, West Texas I hit a big bump and the right front caliper line bent one too many times and began squishing Dot 4 out immediately. Lost 2 hours trying to figure out how to fix it since my spare brake line is in my kit of parts for next trip. I wound up removing it and cutting in half, plugged with a screw and clamped with safety wire then folded it again and wired that. It still seeped a tiny bit when squeezed hard, but good for an emergency pull or two. I rode like a Harley bobber - downshift and back brake only. Had to slow down for deer and lost more time. Fun times!

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Wow John! Sorry to hear ya had trouble, but glad you made it home safe!

Bohn's electrical system completely fried today...
      Scott and I tried our best to repair it, found lots of burned connectors, one wire burned completely in two at the connector...

We cut out the bad connector and respliced them, had the seat, tank, side covers, and fuse panel plate all off, then rechecked... still no luck.
      After some ohming out of the wires coming from the stator, we determined all 3 wires show problems. We believe there's something in the harness that we can't see that's shorted. This is like the 4th time or so this has happened to him.

Fortunately, with disconnecting the headlight, he was able to make it back to the motel. Good thing we have the truck and trailer!

We figured out a plan so he and Jennifer won't miss out on Pike's Peak tomorrow. She'll ride with me, and Bohn, Bart, and Natasha will drive over, and take the tram up to the top. They have tickets, and Bohn will be on standby.

Hopefully, all will work out ok.

Thanks for letting us know you made it safely, John. It was great to get to see ya again and ride together some more.
      Take care, and hope to see you again soon, bro.

Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        Just pulled in about midnight local. About 900+ miles and 16hrs on the nose. Was on target for 13 hrs and 300 miles from home in Nowhere, West Texas I hit a big bump and the right front caliper line bent one too many times and began squishing Dot 4 out immediately. Lost 2 hours trying to figure out how to fix it since my spare brake line is in my kit of parts for next trip. I wound up removing it and cutting in half, plugged with a screw and clamped with safety wire then folded it again and wired that. It still seeped a tiny bit when squeezed hard, but good for an emergency pull or two. I rode like a Harley bobber - downshift and back brake only. Had to slow down for deer and lost more time. Fun times!

John
        Glad to hear you made it home John!..........and still bullet proof...lol.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Monday morning... Time to load up, grab an early breakfast, say our goodby's, and begin the journey home. We had a great time! Thanks to all for making this rally awsome, and special thanks to Bonz who did a terrific job as our rally's tour guide! This was one great rally, and we enjoyed seeing everyone. Safe journey's to all as we wind the 2016 Colorado Rally down and head home! Bob and Bohn.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Great Rally

GREAT RALLY

Many THANKS to Bonz and the organizers.
            It was sure great to meet some of the western XSives as well as hang out and ride once again with those I've met at other rallies in the past. way cool. .

I had a BLAST
            and made to the top if Pikes Peak too. 14,110 Ft.

Jeff

group just headed out for breakfast in Canon City so I'll head down there for coffee and to say Adios. Gotta be out of my bed-in-a-box cabin by 11
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Harry and I have made it to Ivans in Wichita, Bob kept on going. His girlfriend won't let him stay.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Harry and I have made it to Ivans in Wichita, Bob kept on going. His girlfriend won't let him stay.
                Good to hear you all made it to Ivan's without incident.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Home safe

3 phase and I made it to my casa safely,
                  While he is here to assist in downloading pics. of rally to site because as Ba 80 said to me "if you want to remain stupid" ....referring to me ,here is a misc. variety of moments captured in time

78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Good riding guys! We didn't get the extreme heat here on the front range today, hope you guys might have had a bit of a break from it too. but it's Kansas in July...

Best question from the Rally, yesterday as we came back to the camp ground after an open back road straight: "What's the penalty for 60 over in Colorado"?

Great riders, the roads were perfect, weather was perfect if not a bit hot, and the XS11 proved it still can handle the heat waiting in line to start up the Pikes Peak Highway but us riders didn't like it much.

Going up the Pikes Peak Highway we got behind an inconsiderate out-of-state SUV with NO passing zones who refused to use the pull-out areas the whole 19 miles (state will remain nameless, maybe you Oklahmoa riders will see it again sometime... ) and guys had to really work the bikes at low speed, high bike temps all the way to the top at 14,110 feet elevation on some pretty tight switchbacks. The sweet justice in all that is at about 13,000' the SUV stopped dead in the road, lurched a few times and was dead in the water as we made a passing zone on a long steep uphill and smiled riding by.

Other than a few low speed gravel-road-in-the-campground/dirt parking lot tip-overs, everyone was upright and safe.

Mechanical issues were a flasher relay shorted and left Joe out of most of the ride on Saturday which was rectified after a trailer back to the campground. On another minor note, my SG had a sticky rear caliper on Saturday coming down from Bishops Castle and 3Phase got it back to the campground on the trailer with Joe's bike as a precaution. A quick check showed the rear MC was filled too high on fluid and with 3Phase using a lot of rear brake to trail brake coming downhill, it got hot and expanded the fluid to partially engage the rear brake. A quick bleed to lower the fluid level and it was good to go the rest of the rally.

On a more major note, Bohn's immaculate XS lost his charging system and fried the wiring harness, but disconnected his headlight and made it back to home base on his battery on Saturday. Couldn't continue on Sunday which was a real bummer.

A big "Atta' Boy" to Chuckster who took a big step into a new comfort zone in making the Rally from Chicago. You done good, Chuck!

It was great guys! Thanks to all of YOU for taking vacation time and making the effort to be here, it's a pleasure to host you all.
                    Last edited by Bonz; 07-18-2016, 06:29 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Misc. pics.

Assorted pics. of the festivities at the 2016 Colorado/western rally.

78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        A big "Atta' Boy" to Chuckster who took a big step into a new comfort zone in making the Rally from Chicago. You done good, Chuck!
                        +1 You done good. Hope we can ride together again.

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        It was great guys! Thanks to all of YOU for taking vacation time and making the effort to be here, it's a pleasure to host you all.
                        It was a great time Howard, thanks for having us. The wild eyed southern boys can be an acquired taste.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                          3 phase and I made it to my casa safely,
                          While he is here to assist in downloading pics. of rally to site because as Ba 80 said to me "if you want to remain stupid" ....referring to me ,here is a misc. variety of moments captured in time
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Bonz, great rally. So glad I came. Was great to meet new people and see those I already knew.

I thought I had seen everything an xs can do, then I witnessed Joe sliding sideways across a gravel parking lot like he was racing flat track, right into a parking spot.

Made it to Wichita today after a long, hot and uneventful trip. Short ride home tomorrow to kansas city.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• "Wild Eyed Southern Boys". A great acquired taste at that! A great song and album from 38 Special too.

I am still laughing at "so, you want to stay stupid"? Best one-liner of the rally. Context on that one is everything... Had to be there for the full effect!
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Pics from Rally:

At the top-Pikes Peak!

Monarch Pass

Bikes and more bikes!

JW and Navy Bike

Royal Gorge- Bridge along the top, train on the bottom, long ways between!

Royal Gorge- Hiked down a ways...

Just a cool pic

Clouds and moon rising in the east at sunset, last night at campground.

Some of the usual suspects enjoying the last night together at the campfire.

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X