2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Made it home this morning about 9:45 with no issues.

It is definitely past time to work on these carbs. Running strong again once down off the mountains but I think it is still Very rich. Gas mileage was poor the entire trip as well. Lowest tank was 20.5, highest was 26.7. Thank god for the big tank. After Pikes Peak my clutch is slipping on hard acceleration as well, but I probably just need to adjust it.

Maybe your engine got more horsepower just hanging out with us?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      Greg your pics have an ethereal quality to them. Don't ever clean the fingerprints from your lens.

I especially like #18 of the side of your leg. The composition speaks to me on an artistic level like "photography is a part of me like this leg".

Next time I might have a faster coffee cooker like Harry's stove.

John
      They did turn out pretty well even though most of them were taken with my phone because my camera was dead Saturday.

The leg picture is one the stupid smart phone did by itself, it does that sometimes. I think it's time for an upgrade.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
        Made it home safe and sound around 4pm Chicago time, no issues. Des Moines Iowa does not like me, bad storms both ways, out and back. Nothing like rain, lightning and wind!

I want to say thanks to all, especially Howard, Joe and Jerry. Great rally, had an awesome time. The riding was unbelievable, the food was great and the company was even better.

Being my first rally I really appreciated all the help, advice and hospitality everyone showed. I've got a long, long ways to go before I can be in the same league as you guys.

When I told people where I was going, a couple of them asked why I would ride 2,600 miles to hang out with a bunch of guys I never met. I told them the XS11 group is the best!
        Glad to hear you made it home safe Chuck. Was a pleasure to meet you and ride with you. As Greg said, you did great. Nothing wrong with riding a pace you feel comfortable with. I was riding behind you there for awhile and you handled the bike just fine. Would gladly ride with you anytime.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Chuck,
          Glad to hear you made it home ok.
          Like Greg and Harry said, you did great!

I was proud of you for doing the Pike's Peak run!
          That was quite a trek!
          Not only did you do good, your 11 did too!

Look at it like this, look at the experience you gained from coming to this rally!
          Great to meet and ride with ya, and look forward to more in the future!
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Harry,
            I heard your clutch slipping a time or two.
            Started to talk to you about it at the Subway, but got distracted talking to that guy who was walking across America in memory of his sister who died of a drug overdose. He was a cool dude.

Surprised all the bikes' clutches weren't slipping after what they went through getting up Pike's Peak!
            Wow... They sure made it rough getting in there!

Glad you're home safe, and it was a blast getting to ride with ya again!
            Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Good pics Greg!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• My $.02:
                Great rally. Renewed old friendships and made new ones. Enjoyed the rides and company.

Some photos:

Skyline Drive

Capt. Zap and Bonz, Skyline Drive

Windows, Bishop's Castle

Dragon, Bishop's Castle

Pike's Peak group

Breakfast in Guffey - Bull Moose Restaurant

(Click on any photo to bring up a larger version.)

Had a good time. Thanks to Bonz for putting this together!
                Last edited by Jerry; 07-19-2016, 09:05 PM.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• A HUGE Thanks goes to Jeff, as he came to G.Junction and bought Anita and I's dinner at Red Lobster. He came into G.Junction from Fruita(6mi.east) where he is stayin' in a motel. He had spent most of day riding from Glenwood Springs to Carbondale, then over McClure Pass down to Delta, then came over the Grand Mesa to I-70 to Fruita.....now that boy loves to just ride. Sounds like he'll be heading the southern route, maybe as far as Chama,N.M., etc., then easterly back home. Superb gentleman to visit with for sure! His XS still purring like a kitten!
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Great time this evening (and it was only 83 degrees, not the 100 I was expecting)

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Great pic of you and Brant, Jeff!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• From one adventure to the next. I am sitting in a KOA Campground in Ouray Colorado with the high school youth group from our church for the rest of this week. Quite a difference driving the jeep out here versus riding a bike... it was nice to sit in a seat versus sitting on a seat the truth be told now I'm ready to go back to sitting on a seat. :-)

Call me crazy and believe it or not, I am checking out some things on the Westerly side of the state for next year since I am here. Any thoughts, you Eastern guys willing to do more miles to get to a home base rally site? Around the Gunnison area? Some great roads going south off of Highway 50 for a loop and another loop West/north to include a ride up and back along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It's our version of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Ok by me, Howard.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            From one adventure to the next. I am sitting in a KOA Campground in Ouray Colorado with the high school youth group from our church for the rest of this week. Quite a difference driving the jeep out here versus riding a bike... it was nice to sit in a seat versus sitting on a seat the truth be told now I'm ready to go back to sitting on a seat. :-)

Call me crazy and believe it or not, I am checking out some things on the Westerly side of the state for next year since I am here. Any thoughts, you Eastern guys willing to do more miles to get to a home base rally site? Around the Gunnison area? Some great roads going south off of Highway 50 for a loop and another loop West/north to include a ride up and back along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It's our version of the Grand Canyon. Spectacular.
                            Hi Bonz,
                            Gunnison kinda works, better yet would be rally out of KOA between Ridgeway and Ouray. Awesome ALL grass campground, specially the huge tenting portion.......with LOTS of aspen and pine trees for WAY good shade!
                            If any of you remember Smash(Ash) from this site that had the XJ, he has hosted two ST rallys there(last June and this June) with some 300 ST members attending!
                            JAT Bonz.......and superb riding and scenery.
                            BTW, all that area IS my backyard having grown up in Durango, and is just 90mi.(1 1/2 hrs.) south of Grand Junction.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                              Enjoyed meeting you Chuck. One of these days when I do the northern LOST Rally I will ride up Chi-town way to visit.

Glad to hear everyone had a great time. Wish I coulda stayed longer but not in the cards this time.

John
                              Thanks John. Would love to ride with you here in the Midwest, we'll see what happens with the Lost Rally.
                              Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

• Great experience

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                                Chuck,
                                Glad to hear you made it home ok.
                                Like Greg and Harry said, you did great!

I was proud of you for doing the Pike's Peak run!
                                That was quite a trek!
                                Not only did you do good, your 11 did too!

Look at it like this, look at the experience you gained from coming to this rally!
                                Great to meet and ride with ya, and look forward to more in the future!
                                Bob
                                Bob, you're absolutely right, I did gain confidence and experience. Pike's Peak was quite a challenge, a lot of things seem easier now having done that climb! Look forward to riding with you again. Thanks for the kind words.
                                Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

Working...
                                X