2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bishop's Castle

Interesting what Mr. Bishop has accomplished over the years. Really a work of Art, but not much up to any building code standard.
    Ornate in every way. The 'ornate' part is mostly what holds it together. And it is private property. Americana at its finest.

Interesting entry steps with short Rise & Run plus now heavily weathered concrete

Inside the upper right globe dome. A long way down to our bikes. (see below)

Bonz & Ty brave the rickety arch bridge to nowhere structure (only the brave dare go out there)

We sure had FUN

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Nice pictures, Jeff, I was too chicken to go in the castle!

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Do we have dates for 2017 rally yet? Possibly 7/7-7/10?

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• That would be great, John.

How about something on the Western Slope or up Norf for next time?

-- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• I did some looking around last week while camping in Ouray, a couple options come to mind.

First is to base around the Gunnison area. That opens up some nice roads to the south (Hwy 114/149 loop).

Second thought, if the base is around Ridgeway or Ouray, then we could ride parts of/all of Colorado 141 and 145 or the Silverton, Durango, Telluride Loop we did for the rally in 2011.

For a second ride, we can do the Black Canyon of the Gunnison which is an amazing sight for part of a northerly loop/ride including Paonia, Hotchkiss, Crawford, from either base location.

If any or all of that sounds like a winner, that's where I will focus my efforts. Please chime in with any suggestions.

To JW's date suggestion, does coming right off the 4th of July holiday make it more difficult to string the next weekend into time off? I am up for anything just want to pose the question.
            Last edited by Bonz; 07-27-2016, 08:44 PM.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• How about somewhere we haven't already seen/stayed/ridden?
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

• You have ridden all of those roads mentioned? 142,145,149,114 and seen the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? The loop from the Durango Rally notwithstanding of course.
                Last edited by Bonz; 07-27-2016, 09:38 PM.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  You have ridden all of those roads mentioned? 142,145,149,114 and seen the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? The loop from the Durango Rally notwithstanding of course.
                  I don't know. I've been to the beach here before and I'll go again, I was just asking.

The Durango rally loops were excellent riding but my bike was actually running on all four back then so that made a difference. For 2014 our mini-group stayed overnight in Gunnison and went over Monarch the next morning to meet up with another group and go to the rally so I know they have at least one decent motel but I don't think we did Black Canyon or saw the campground.

-- Scott
                  _____

Comment

• I only suggested those dates because I have a planned Jeep trip in central Colorado that week of july 4th - as everyone else heads back to Texas on Friday I would unload the bike from the trailer and head to the rally.

Just being selfish

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                      How about somewhere we haven't already seen/stayed/ridden?
                      And can ride faster than 40mph. Some of the roads we were on were nice but a snooze at 40 or 50.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• misc pics. from rally

Im still working on my copy and pasting technique so I hope these make it through
                        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• You got it Joe!
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Next Year Colo rally

I am still crying over missing the rally but had a great time with Roo trying to get his Kawi going again. We spent a lot of time in Beaver Utah and found the folks there about as nice as it gets.....so,,,,Big Bonz,,,anytime after July 4th weekend is good for me and probably the other S. Cali folks,,,,Scott, Roo, Tom...etc............new roads are always good to see, I can sleep anywhere, camping is fine. Soo,,,keep the boys informed of possibilities as most of us do not know the roads in Colo like you and Motoman. We need to get him on a Goldwing trike and get the wind back in his face with a big smile(listening Brant??} Mike in Sun Diego
                            mike
                            1982 xj1100 maxim
                            1981 venture bagger
                            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                            1959 wife

Comment

• A few pics from the rally.....

The first day my camera was dead and my power outlet on the bike wasn't working so they are all taken with my phone when we were stopped.

The camp when we first got there Friday afternoon...

Smoke hanging over the mountains because of the fires.

A few shots of Bishops Castle. Our destination on the Saturday ride...

Up in the tower cage on top. It was pretty shaky so I didn't stay up there long.

The seemingly endless spiral staircase to the top.

The staircase in the other tower was stone. That's a power wire hanging there.

The main room downstairs. I thought it would make a great bar.

The bikes across the road.

Looking a bit frumpy.

A helicopter with a water bucket dropping down to get water to dump on the fire.

rdmcguy's EL TORO

My house...

The end of day 1. Great sunset.

Smoke from the fire...

Next..........day 2
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Day 2. Got the camera going so I got a few shots from the bike.

Good morning.........where's the coffee???

Random shots from the bike Sunday morning...

Bonz waiting in line at the gate to Pikes Peak.

Still waiting....

Almost there, bikes are getting hot.....

My engine straight up overheated and died at the gate. We had to pull over and let them cool a bit before starting the ascent.

A few from the ride up...

Narrow 2 lane. No guardrails.

Above the tree line..

On top...

Colorado Springs from 14,000 feet.

Continued next post......
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X