No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had a little fun on the way back to camp...

Forgot the name of this town but cool old buildings...

The end of day 2.....

Lies around the campfire....

Had a blast. Will probably be over there to cause trouble again.

Thanks Howard and anyone else who had a hand in.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Had a blast. Will probably be over there to cause trouble again.

Sure hope you two-wheel it this direction again!........ Anita and I not being on a scoot ourselves, missed not givin' you more trouble than I did.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
        I am still crying over missing the rally but had a great time with Roo trying to get his Kawi going again. We spent a lot of time in Beaver Utah and found the folks there about as nice as it gets.....so,,,,Big Bonz,,,anytime after July 4th weekend is good for me and probably the other S. Cali folks,,,,Scott, Roo, Tom...etc............new roads are always good to see, I can sleep anywhere, camping is fine. Soo,,,keep the boys informed of possibilities as most of us do not know the roads in Colo like you and Motoman. We need to get him on a Goldwing trike and get the wind back in his face with a big smile(listening Brant??} Mike in Sun Diego
        Yup.....hear ya' well!........We made it....in a cage. Now see, if Roo had been on REAL two wheels instead of his two-wheel 'campmobile', U'all coulda' joined in the fun instead of his Kaway turnin' things into an 'adventure'.

BTW, nice bunch of pics there Joe and Greg!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Boy do I feel lucky. No waiting line whatsoever at the Pikes Peak booth last year, and nobody in front of me all the way up. WINDY though.

Thanks for all the pictures everybody.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

• We went on a Sunday in July. Any state park will be like that then.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Those are some great pictures! Joe, you were right about your pictures having an enhanced color to them. Greg, awesome pictures I really like the pictures of the sky, the Sun, the smoke and the one of your bike by your tent. It just looks classic.

Yeah, the roads could be taken at a quicker pace and that's always the rub with trying to up the pace more than a little bit. From a safety standpoint I think it's doable for most folks however we want it to be good for all folks. The other issue and I'll be straight up because I'm a pussy when it comes to wanting a traffic ticket. I don't.

With that said it's a lot easier to make time on the straights with extra handfuls of miles per hour with great visibility and keep it spooled back in the corners by a handful of miles per hour so there are no surprises around the other side. We weren't "lucky" enough to have free range cattle in the road around a few of those bends between Guffey and Pikes Peak like I encountered doing the Recon rides. Yeah, big cows. Note speed limit sign of 45 MPH, hard to see next to the cows, but it's there.

After I came around that corner (which doesn't look all that hard to see through, but coming from the other direction as they were wandering up out of the ditch caught me by surprise) and scared them off the side of the road, I turned around and came back to get this picture. Doesn't do justice what I had close to staring me in the face. :-)

Last edited by Bonz; 07-28-2016, 10:39 PM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                Yeah, the roads could be taken at a quicker pace and that's always the rub with trying to up the pace more than a little bit. From a safety standpoint I think it's doable for most folks however we want it to be good for all folks. The other issue and I'll be straight up because I'm a pussy when it comes to wanting a traffic ticket. I don't.
                Understood but I've never gotten a ticket on the bike. That's why 2 groups with designated rally points and times would be better, IMHO

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                Yeah, had to weave through a few herds in southern Utah, along with elk, deer, and mountain sheep, last summer.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• I enjoyed the pace you set Howard, was nice to be able to sight seeing a bit while cruising along.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• A few more pics and video

Sorry about shaky video above Go pro wasn't working so I had to hand hold second camera...

Comparing Jeffs nerw paint job color to original on my bike , very very close , I wouldnt mind knowing the paint formula for that color

Waiting in line to ride Pikes Peak (one hot mutha)

And some of the guys at the campsite
                    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Some more great pics Joe!

Keep talking up the rally guys then we'll get even more bikes next year and have to do two groups and can play with the pacing and routes based on the nature of how it all comes together.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• This is interesting. Ran across it this evening........

In 1925, Canon City, Colorado was the home to the KKK’s own amusement park, nicknamed KKKLand.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• That is bizarre! They look like such a bunch of idiot dorks. Well, I guess that is what they were, so not surprising.

Sorry it took so long for me to see you posted, Greg.

I'm not hanging around so much now that I'm teaching and not much going on with the bikes. Took the SG out for a ride on Sunday, filled the tank and threw some stabilizer in. I'll run that through the winter months in case we get an extended no riding cold and snow stretch. Then it'll be spring time, time for thinking of another rally!

The bike time I have is spent tweaking the ZRX carbs. Another ZRX forum member has created some sweet velocity stacks for the ZZR1200/ZX11 CVK40 carbs I put on the ZRX and I am a test mule for them. To see if he wants to have them manufactured and put together a jet kit for the 40mm carbs as well. This weekend I hope to swap in and out a couple sets of diaphragm springs that are lighter and see how it affects response and drivability, looking ahead to offering a jet kit that is plug-and-play.

Anyway, iffin' you come back out this way for a rally this summer once I figure out the details in the next months, lean your bad boys out a little bit so you're not running as fat rich. Unless it says purely a function of your headers and the pods, I know it could be cleaned up a bit even for where you are at in my opinion.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Go colorado rally>>>>>

Howdy Bonz, Motoman and the Colorado crew,,,,hope the rally happens next summer as Me and Roo will make sure to make it. Now that Scott has a cool xj1100 and a few other Californians should be coming out that way too. If you are thinking the northern Colo. area, so there are a few new routes that would be great. Glad teaching is going well, I have taught H.S.Science the last 38 years,,,,its what you make it. Keep the posts on the rally going,,,,See ya, Mike in Sun Diego
                            mike
                            1982 xj1100 maxim
                            1981 venture bagger
                            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                            1959 wife

Comment

• Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                              Howdy Bonz, Motoman and the Colorado crew,,,,hope the rally happens next summer as Me and Roo will make sure to make it. Now that Scott has a cool xj1100 and a few other Californians should be coming out that way too. If you are thinking the northern Colo. area, so there are a few new routes that would be great. Glad teaching is going well, I have taught H.S.Science the last 38 years,,,,its what you make it. Keep the posts on the rally going,,,,See ya, Mike in Sun Diego
                              I presume Roo got the oil pump shaft issue resolved on his Kaway 'campmobile'?

Comment

• Will check with Roo

Howdy Motoman,,,will check to see if Roo got his Kawi 1600 fixed, as it got laid up on the way to the rally last summer. It needed a clip on the oil pump shaft that was a bear to get at. Apparently all Kawi Nomads had this problem,, they used a plastic oil pump gear that shredded after 11k miles or so,,,anyway Iwill give the Roo a call and see if his Nomad is rolling otherwise he will be riding the unbelievable Roo xs1100 bobber for awhile............Mike in SUn Diego
                                mike
                                1982 xj1100 maxim
                                1981 venture bagger
                                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                                1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                                X