No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks anyway John, but we think we got what we need and we now have a plan!

I sat here for a bit this evening thinking about what we should do...

Next, I decided to check w/Andreas... he had a couple of harnesses listed, but they were both '79's... There are some differences. The TCI's are in different places, the reg/recs are in different places, the '79 Special did not have 4way flashers... and Bohn didn't want to go that way or have to hack on another harness to make it work.

So... it occurred to me if anybody might have everything we need, it has to be GREG! Sure nuff I was right! He has the remains of Harry's old '80 MNS, with a complete, unhacked, and fully functional electrical system! Reg/reg, stator, unmolested harness... all that had worked perfectly when Harry parked the bike due to the engine's high oil use, and he turned his attention to his '79.

So, looks like we've scored what we need, and it should solve Bohn's problems.

But, I told Bohn we'll have to wait a while... it is WAAAYY too hot right now to work on it. (Supposed to be 101 in Tulsa tomorrow w/109 heat index.) Kansas City's not much better... He's ok with that, he's got his GS to ride...

Thanks anyway, John. Think we got 'er solved though... for now.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• ... 101 in Tulsa tomorrow w/109 heat index
      Yikes! Leave that stuff for cooler weather!

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• I still gotta work to pay for that trip. 10am and the thermometer in the shop says 91.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          Yikes! Leave that stuff for cooler weather!

I know! The whole time I was in Colorado, especially Monarch Pass and top of Pike's Peak, I questioned why I would want to ever go back to Ok...

Yet, here I be...
          Supposed to get a little break this next week, some rain and only 92-95...
          Woo- frikkin'- hoo...

You'd think I'd be used to the Ok heat and humidity, since I've lived here my entire life... but no.
          And this isn't near as hot as it got here about 5 summers ago!
          Back when I still had my Maxim, I went to Branson. When. I rode home, the actual temp was 116, + humidity!! Hottest I've ever seen.

My friend is stationed over at Kuwait City right now. Daily temps there average 125!!! But it's a "dry heat" he tells me.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Heat

Its been a toasty hot ride heading east towards home. HOT leaving NM and 105 degrees Boise City to Guymon OK to Woodward.
            Yesterdays AM ride wasn't bad but the heat index in Arkansas was 110 degrees. I stopped in Conway AR. Though the OK panhandle was "Loco Hot" with heat & wind and not a tree anywhere within 200 miles.

Sunday AM ride to breakfast in Guffey behind Bonz & CZ

Great ride after great breakfast - Bonz leading us towards Pikes Peak

Oil viscosity test - conga line of cars uphill to the Pikes Peak toll booth

Hairpin Plus climbing the grade up Pikes Peak

Drop offs galore. Would be a rough ride if you went over the line

Not so funny, funny: A few miles from the top of Pikes Peak in the downhill lane the rangers stop every car and check the brake temps before letting the car proceed. As I rolled by I said HEY to the ranger. I asked her if she had stopped anybody today and who was the worst. She said yes she had black flagged cars and the highest brake rotor temp she had seen today was 900 degrees. Fool must have been in 'D' and ridden the brakes the whole 2 or 3 miles off the top.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• HOME

Quite the adventure. 4,353 miles
              Exceeded expectations in every way.

Storms not as bad as expected today so rode 562 miles from Conway Arkansas back to Atlanta. By the time I got to Birmingham why stop?
              Will post some more rally pics tomorrow & update the ride report with a few pics.

XS11E did good.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Glad you're home safe my friend. And that your bike performed well.

I love adventures like that.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                  HOME

Quite the adventure. 4,353 miles
                  Exceeded expectations in every way.

Storms not as bad as expected today so rode 562 miles from Conway Arkansas back to Atlanta. By the time I got to Birmingham why stop?
                  Will post some more rally pics tomorrow & update the ride report with a few pics.

XS11E did good.

Jeff
                  Welcome Home Jeff,
                  Well done to both you and XS11E.
                  Surely by now you have come up with a name for this wonderful rally riding partner Having criss crossed the continent together something epic is called for
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Excellent riding, JeffH. Glad to have met you out here in Colorado for the rally and love the pics you have posted of your great adventure!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      Excellent riding, JeffH. Glad to have met you out here in Colorado for the rally and love the pics you have posted of your great adventure!
                      .....adventure......hmmm.......always thought 'adventure' started bought time bike quit, with you and scoot sittin' alongside road 100mi. from nowhere.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Awesome, Jeff! Glad you're home safe!
                        Totally understand about the heat!

Just as Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men"
                        " Careful, Danny.. this heat's making me crazy..."

Tulsa today hit 101 w/ heat index of 109.
                        It felt every bit of that hot here.

Great trip, well done, and love your ride report and pictures.
                        Get some rest, my friend! You've earned it!
                        Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Way to go, Jeff! Nice ride!

-- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Wow, Jeff!

I did some LD riding years ago, but nothing even approaching the kind of trip you've just completed ... 4,300+ miles!

Well done, indeed!

It's been a pleasure reading your reports!

Look forward to the rest of your rally/trip pics ...
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

• 60 over

So I asked my Patrol guys what penalty is applicable if you would happen to get stopped for doing 60 over the posted limit. In Colorado a couple of things depending on the arresting officer:
                              Fine: Up to $1,000.00
                              Charge: Reckless driving. Anything above 25 over the limit and you could do jail time, up to about 6 months is most common.
                              You will lose points on your driver's license at a minimum, license revoked at maximum.
                              Bike can be impounded. This can cost you around $30.00 per day (prices vary) plus towing fees of around $125.00.
                              As I said, depends on the arresting officer....

But it was fun to let loose on that stretch!
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.
                              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• Georgia 11E arrives Echo Canyon Campground

Bonz gives the Thumbs Up ready-to-roll for Saturday Ride by nobody paying attention

Chicago Chuck at Silver Cliff gas stop before lunch at Rooster's Roost in Westcliffe

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X