No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fire? What are we gonna do, walk around and bump into each other until the wolves and bears come to eat us?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Nice! Thanks, Joe, this is going to be so cool!

Howard, Joe and I talked earlier about buying riding gear when I get to Denver. Yes, I have perfectly good boots, leathers and a helmet but it will take up a lot of space in my checked bag that needs to hold enough stuff for a week. To save space when I flew to Canada one Christmas a few years ago I didn't pack any cold-weather clothing at all. The Canadians are used to cold weather and there is plenty of cold-weather clothing in every store on every corner so I bought some mighty fine cold weather gear after I got to town. I wore it while I was up there, then shipped it home for less than the cost of an extra or oversize checked bag on the flight each way.

So I looked at the TSA regs and I believe that I can wear my riding gear on the flight but I also believe that it would not be a particularly bright idea to do so. It would scare the carp out of the TSA and my fellow passengers and I'm not up for getting 'probed at every step of the trip out and back just to save money on luggage.

Greg, we can always look around and see if we can find a couple of girl scouts to rub together to keep the bears and wolves away!

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Howard ,
        Not completely sure about bikes , one for Scott (Marie) one for me (Marie Marie) El Toro might be fun , but is more for amusements sake , not very comfortable and uses a LOT of oil ....But it is LOUD !!! lol I'm impressed that you remember their names though .....
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          Greg, we can always look around and see if we can find a couple of girl scouts to rub together to keep the bears and wolves away!

Girl scouts have been known to be eaten too......
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Yeah, riding gear on the plane would be interesting! Frisk, frisk...
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Joe, it's like the sisters of the "Anything for a buck" brothers on Bob Newhart: "Hi, I'm Toro, this is my sister Marie and this is my other sister Marie Marie.

Greg that'd bring the wolves and bears out of the woodwork but I guess wolves and bears make neat jackets or rain cloaks and great conversation starters at rest stops and other rallies.

Yeah, "frisk" is probably not even close to what would happen and I need some new gear anyway. My leathers need the belt loops replaced and when my eyes cleared up and I finished coughing after I took them off the hook in the garage I noticed they need to be professionally cleaned.

-- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Hey guys,
                Just hearing the news reports of massive fires between Cotopaxi and Salida!
                Smoke clear to Pueblo...and north to Monument smoke's so think they've had to shut windows and come indoors...thick as dense fog! Fires being fueled by high heat and low humidity. So, I'd say no campfires!

3 seperate fires... lightning started one, 2 arrested for arson...

Pueblo today set a record high... 105.

Sounds like fun...
                Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-10-2016, 10:22 PM.
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Thanks for that fire report Bob. I'm still back east in Pennsylvania visiting my folks, will get home late tonight. Did a little reading up, the one between Cotopaxi and Salida is south of Highway 50 and up in the mountains a good ways, no real danger to any structures at this point. Apparently started by lightning. That is nothing but wilderness for hundreds of square miles of forest. The deadfall is like walking on pick up stix because there has been such a push for "leave no trace" and the forest never gets thinned. So mother nature does her thing to keep them thin. "Nature taking back her own".
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Good to hear it's away from where we'll be. I heard they had shut 50 down yesterday evening, and they did not have the fire contained as of last night.

I hear the smoke is awful.

Just heard my latest local forecast... May be leaving out in thunderstorms.

Yea!!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• JWHughes3 rolled in on The Navy Bike last night around 9pm.

He was pretty tired after 12 hours in the saddle coming from San Antonio to Tulsa so I sent him to the shower and grilled up a couple ribeyes.

7am I headed to work and he headed north to Kansas. On his way.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Awesome, Greg! Glad he's doing well and made it.

Thanks for the update.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Nice! Good looking bike and steak! Is the Navy bike seat done by Corbin?
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            Nice! Good looking bike and steak! Is the Navy bike seat done by Corbin?
                            Yeah, those are the only pics I got and JW took those. I was kinda busy.

Sorry

Don't know, It was put on there by Bob Jones when he built it. JW would know better than I.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• I don't think its a Corbin. It's pretty good, but not a Corbin.

I'm in Garden City Kansas tonight. Was planning to camp near the border of CO at a State Wildlife Area for free, but after Dodge City my speedo went kaput at lets say a high rate of speed. The cable is buggerred up and the threaded part no longer will thread on after i kind of fixed and reshaped the end. I got really hot trying to fix it with zero shade, so decided I needed some AC to cool off.

I'm headed up towards Denver tomorrow and will head down to Canon City on Wednesday I think. If anyone has a spare speedo assembly I will fill you with beer if you bring it to the Rally. I am going to guess speed by rpm and time tomorrow and fill up more often.

Hey at least my engine is "frozen in time" and not aging right now.
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• You just need a cable or cable and speedometer John?
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X