No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still using stock lines. Never have had an issue.......knock on wood.

Still planning on making the trip up but with the economy the way it is, no promises.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• 3Phase made a comment to me at the last Colorado rally in 2014... Went something like this... "When the 1980 rubber blows out in 2014..."

Apparently he had a stock brake line let go under braking with no apparent reason other than the hose blew at a crimp junction if I remember correctly.

With all that said, the lever/brakes have good feel and power in normal braking with the stock lines. I have really laid into the front brake lever practicing emergency stops and the lever ends up at the bar with me naturally wanting more lever. With the brakes being bled like they are and a firm lever, I can only believe it is old lines expanding under the pressure.

Correct me on if I am wrong on the old lines expanding, but in any case new stainless lines will be a great addition.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        How are we doing on guys knowing if they can make the Colorado Rally this summer?

-July 15-18, Canon City, Colorado.
        -Group campsite at Echo Canyon Campground by the Royal Gorge on Hwy 50.
        -Hotels/Motels available in Canon City.

XJOK2PLAY, what hotel are you and Bohn staying at, do you mind sharing and other guys might check there to get their rooms?
        Howard,
        Bohn and I are booked at The Colorado Inn in Canon City for July 14/15/16/17.
        The rooms are small. Not sure if they have anymore available...
        Contact Christine @ 719-275-9601 @ the Colorado Inn.
        They have a 24 hr. cancellation notice policy.
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Thanks much XJ!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Hey all... with the longer distances a number of you are travelling to attend the rally (not just the Cali crew but new blood from Chicago, Utah and Georgia being long haulers who are riding their bikes).

Would anyone like to arrive a day earlier, especially the ones riding on their bikes, and have the group site available starting July 14th (Thurs)? That gives a full day to unwind and relax before we ride on Saturday and Sunday. Could be used take a short ride over to the Royal Gorge, or an easy ride to Salida and and back to enjoy US Hwy 50's curves and sights along the Arkansas river.

Right now, the site is available for us to do that.

I want to get a show of hands as to how many would take advantage of that.

Let me know and let's go from there.
            Last edited by Bonz; 06-01-2016, 04:18 PM.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Would anyone like to arrive a day earlier, especially the ones riding on their bikes, and have the group site available starting July 14th (Thurs)? That gives a full day to unwind and relax before we ride on Saturday and Sunday. Could be used take a short ride over to the Royal Gorge, or an easy ride to Salida and and back to enjoy US Hwy 50's curves and sights along the Arkansas river.

Right now, the site is available for us to do that.
              I want to get a show of hands as to how many would take advantage of that.
              Let me know and let's go from there.
              I plan to make it to Pueblo for Thurs 14th if the weather cooperates during the journey west. (I don't 100% trust my 11E electrics during heavy rain). I'm staying in the cabin 15-16-17 and won't have any camping stuff with me. Was thinking maybe meet up with Bohn & Bob for AM coffee on Fri 15th or maybe take a ride depending on who is available. As you are thinking, after 1,500 mile I plan to make 15th an easy day with early arrival at Echo Canyon.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Jeff,
                That would be great. Bohn and I will plan on it.
                (And, anyone else that wants to join us, too.)
                We'll be staying in town at the Colorado Inn, again.
                We stayed there the last time, and it's a great place. Good folks that own that place, walking distance to restraunts, and they have a perfect place to park his truck/trailer for unloading the bikes.
                I'll be riding north from Skiatook, Ok to Salina, Ks. to meet Bohn. (5 hrs.)
                There, we'll load my C14 in his enclosed trailer along with his bike, and we'll drive in the west of the way. Greg may take 400 west out of Witchita. Several small towns with frequent gas stations along that route for his Special.

We like the idea of having a truck/trailer nearby in case of emergency or break down.

When I left Skiatook to make this rally the last time, it was 36 degrees and pouring rain! It rained all the way to Salina. I was more than ready to get in the cab of Bohn's truck after 5 hrs. It rained all the way to Colorado Springs on us!

On the way back, it was over 100 degrees for the 5hr. ride home from Salina.

Last time we were at the rally, there was a place across from the campground that gave helicopter rides out over the gorge. Bohn and I did that, just before leaving town. That was cool. If they're still there, we may do it again.
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Planning to arrive mid-day on the 15th

I plan to arrive mid-day on the 15th, so no need to reserve the campground early. Thanks for the offer though.

Chuck
                  Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

• I was planning on stopping at Brant's (motorman) place on the 14th and arriving mid day on the 15th to the campsite.
                    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

• Sounds good, reservation will remain as-is for a July 15 arrival!

Bob, I am really considering riding the ZRX. It is a fun bike and with the larger Rifle Superbike fairing on it, breaks a fair amount of air out in front and should do ok for rain protection, but not as good as the Plexi-III on the SG. It is a more comfortable riding position too. If I had a trailer I would haul them both the 60-70 miles from home to the campground.

Relative to the SG, with the 50-60 mph roads we ride for the rally, the ZRX is just sleep walking, a lot like your C14.
                      Last edited by Bonz; 06-02-2016, 10:05 AM.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by tcoop View Post
                        I was planning on stopping at Brant's (motorman) place on the 14th and arriving mid day on the 15th to the campsite.
                        Well, between y'all, Mike and Roo, sounds like an XS rally/dinner my place Thurs. afternoon/evening/overnite.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Well, between y'all, Mike and Roo, sounds like an XS rally/dinner my place Thurs. afternoon/evening/overnite.
                          I was kinda hoping to join in on that get-together, if that's ok. I haven't gotten "official" clearance from SWMBO just yet, but things are looking up.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

• CatatonicBug, you thinking of the Motoman pre-rally rally, or coming for the rally rally too?
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                              I was kinda hoping to join in on that get-together, if that's ok. I haven't gotten "official" clearance from SWMBO just yet, but things are looking up.
                              Join in C.Bug! Ride with them if wanting to. Think there likely goin my favorite 'backway' up through the Ogden canyon 4lane to nearly Park City. Then to Heber City down to US40 east to Vernal.Hang a right at Dinosaur(hwy64) to Rangely then another right(139) to Loma/Interstate70. Folow your nose to Clifton, exit 37. Ty has been to my place before, so follow him or just give me a call @970-640-7221 for the final mile to mecasa
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                                Brant will keep you up late talking and if he puts you in the camper he'll forget to turn the heat on.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X