No announcement yet.

2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super excited!! We plan to leave N. Utah at 9am tomorrow morning, and take the long way through the mountain passes. I'm really grateful to everyone for all the planning and work that has gone into setting this up. I ride every day, but if it's not on my commute (80-85mph superslab), I follow the GPS, and that always takes the fast, freeway route. I miss out on the better riding roads that way. I look forward to seeing all the great roads that you all have planned for us!

This will be my first time camping on the bike, and the first time I've camped for more than 1 night in over 15 years. This will be quite the adventure!!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

• secure load

Everybody make double - triple sure that any extra bags or stuff you strap to you bike is secure. Load shift or something falling off can be big trouble. That's how we lost Ken up in Canada in 2014 as he was riding to the rally. In a curve something went wrong that maybe shifted weight he couldn't control. Weight was likely too top heavy or something. We don't know. Make sure bungies are good ones and everything nice and snug so it won't shift or fall off.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• secure load

think this was a duplicate. sent itself twice
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          Super excited!! We plan to leave N. Utah at 9am tomorrow morning, and take the long way through the mountain passes. I'm really grateful to everyone for all the planning and work that has gone into setting this up. I ride every day, but if it's not on my commute (80-85mph superslab), I follow the GPS, and that always takes the fast, freeway route. I miss out on the better riding roads that way. I look forward to seeing all the great roads that you all have planned for us!

This will be my first time camping on the bike, and the first time I've camped for more than 1 night in over 15 years. This will be quite the adventure!!
          Good choice that you and Ty are runnin the back way thru Ogden canyon to Venal, to Dinosour, then south to I-70. Part of that runs you by some high lakes a 8,000ft. elev..........beats the heck out of that 191 south thing to Green River......definitely hot that direction. We're sittin' at 98degrees at 5:30pm right now.........mountains east and south lookin' good out my back door bout now.(no snow this time of year BA80!...just fires....lol.)
          Last edited by motoman; 07-13-2016, 05:35 PM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
            (no snow this time of year BA80!...just fires....lol.)
            I was considering dragging Harry over those passes but time and $ might make it difficult.

I already drug trbig over one of them, literally.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• LOL!

Ok, travel update:

Called the local stores along HWY 50 and it is OPEN from Salida on east into Canon City. They don't see that changing, but keep an eye out on the road reports while traveling.

I will post up if anything changes to the contrary.

I would still come in from the north via Leadville/Buena Vista for those coming from that direction, can be smokey along Highway 50 according to the locals.

Coming from AZ, edwardruth you can use Hwy 50 if you like, obviously, and it could be worth a bit of smoke in the air to save the re-route miles.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Sitting at dinner in Aurora with Scott (3Phase) and Joe (rdmcguy). Just got out of Yamaha shop getting Scott some new riding gear just after getting off the plane.

Looking forward to a little check ride tomorrow.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Have fun you guys! I come up to join you but I'm putting a new brake caliper on the right front of my son's Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's stuck today coming up the interstate today. smelled like an 18-wheeler coming down off of steep Mountain Pass. :-)
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Did you find a cable John?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Yes Joe got me fixed up today.

Thanks
                      John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

• Bohn and I will see you guys soon. Leaving out in the morning. Be in Canon City tomorrow evening.

Good to hear Scott made it! Cool!

L8R.

Bob
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Only one important "right" turn, the one onto the street your hotel is on tomorrow in Canon City...

Yeah, my other forums have tons of emoji's to play with. How basic we are at XS11.com!
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• I was just loading the bike getting ready to head to Wichita, the sky turned green and the tornado sirens started screaming.

I may be late getting to Wichita.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• PERFECT!!!!!!! It's coming down in buckets and the power went out.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Extra bed in Pueblo is free tonight

I am in Pueblo. Just heard from JeffH. He should arrive by 1630. His Super8 room is paid so the extra bed I have at the Hampton Inn is free to any taker. I dont think Greg & Harry will make Pueblo tonight but y'all can fight over it if you do!

John

Comment

Working...
                                X