2016 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong way Corrigan

Harry & Greg, good to hear you made it back to Ivan's already. and that Bob is continuing on his way. Your bikes are amazing runners.

I was the last to leave Echo Canyon campground at 10:45. So rather than ride 'down' the Arkansas River in the homeward direction, I rode up the Arkansas River. Then Buena Vista, then over Independence Pass to Aspen. Staying in Glenwood Springs tonight. A wimppy 200 miles (but awesome scenery). Sippin' on a Patrón outside in the cool evening breezes and thinking about all the FUN and RIDES and DISCUSSIONS we had at the Rally.

Thanks again for making this a grand rally. Firewood & everything too. btw: just changed my oil for the ride back to the ATL. Auto Zone parking lot and recycled to boot

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Howard Sure looks like a lot of fun was had.
      On my list of rallies to attend in the future.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Look forward to it!

...and a good time was had by all.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Sorry, my phone duplicated my post
          Last edited by Bigfoot; 07-18-2016, 09:09 PM.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            Harry & Greg, good to hear you made it back to Ivan's already. and that Bob is continuing on his way. Your bikes are amazing runners.

I was the last to leave Echo Canyon campground at 10:45. So rather than ride 'down' the Arkansas River in the homeward direction, I rode up the Arkansas River. Then Buena Vista, then over Independence Pass to Aspen. Staying in Glenwood Springs tonight. A wimppy 200 miles (but awesome scenery). Sippin' on a Patrón outside in the cool evening breezes and thinking about all the FUN and RIDES and DISCUSSIONS we had at the Rally.

Thanks again for making this a grand rally. Firewood & everything too. btw: just changed my oil for the ride back to the ATL. Auto Zone parking lot and recycled to boot

Jeff
            To me, not the wrong direction Jeff........some good scenery ridin' that direction, plus you got to see ALL those 14er peaks.......nice! Be safe heading home, and hope you come into very little of that storm front when headed east/southeast.Would hate to hear you had to wring out the water from those socks again.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Bonz, great rally. So glad I came. Was great to meet new people and see those I already knew.

I thought I had seen everything an xs can do, then I witnessed Joe sliding sideways across a gravel parking lot like he was racing flat track, right into a parking spot.

Made it to Wichita today after a long, hot and uneventful trip. Short ride home tomorrow to kansas city.
              Harry

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Sorry, my phone apparently has lost its mind.

It was great to ride with you again Jeff. Have a safe trip home.
                Harry

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post

Jeff
                  Looked like you were having a good time at the rally! If you opted to run I-70 the 80miles to Grand Junction, your more than welcome at Anita and I place, or just meet for lunch,dinner, etc., like last fall......whatever, works for us.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• I think Harry has lost his mind......wait.....you gotta have something before you can lose it, right?

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• On top of Pike's Peak........

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Another few pics...

Top of Pikes Peak, GPS reading... Close enough!

Self-timer of the campground tenting crew (Debeque Jerry and JeffH were over in their cabins, Bob and Bohn were at the hotel in Canon City).

L to R:

Greg, Chuck, Ty, Howard, Jerry, John, Joe, Harry, Marshall

Last edited by Bonz; 07-18-2016, 09:59 PM.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Hey everybody! Thought I'd check in before I pass out for a well earned good nights rest in my own bed tonight! Made it home A-OK.

Greg, Harry, and I left Canyon City this morning at 8:30 am mountain time.
                          The 3 of us made it to the west side of Wichita, gassed up, and said our goodbys. I made it from there to Skiatook, Ok. on one tank of gas, with another 80 miles to spare! That's around 200 miles. Rode that last leg straight through, and "spirited" in pace. The temps crossing Kansas today reached 99 degrees, according to the thermometer. By the time I travelled through the winding hills of the Osage, it had dropped to 84 around 8:00pm CST. Felt like air conditioning!

My total round trip mileage- 1621.2 miles.
                          My average fuel mileage coming home- 52.2! A new Connie record!
                          Total return trip time (allowing for time zones)- 11 hours, 22 minutes.

My bike performed flawlessly, and this rally rocks! MaximPhil, we'd love to see you make this one sometime! You'd love it!

Again, thanks to all the Colorado boys for showing us Okies a good time!
                          Bonz, thanks for all your hard work that paid off to make the 2016 Rally In The Rockies such a huge success! Love your ZRX and glad we got to ride the Kawi's together once again. Next time, I'll try to have my cpu flashed, and maybe we can line 'em up?

Oh... Funny thing happened on the way home in Wichita! I pulled up at this stop light, and a young guy in a new SS Camaro pulls up next to me.
                          When the light changed, he gunned it and jumped out...
                          I hammered it, the front wheel came up, I jumped out ahead, grabbed second, the front came off the ground again, and by 3rd, he was a ways back and it was over! I slowed and he pulled along side of me and gave me the thumbs up! The icing on the cake! What a way to finish a great rally! Haha!

Thought you'd get a kick outta that one, Bonz!
                          L8R!

Oh... PS... Would I be the "winner" of the "60 over speeding ticket" if that had happened? Pretty sure that last pass I made with Jennifer on the back might have qualified? She was way cool, too! Bohn trained her well. I asked her if I scared her doing that... She said "No way! That was awesome! Can we do it again?" Lol...
                          Bob
                          Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-18-2016, 10:13 PM.
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Showoff....
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Had a great time at the rally!!! Thanks Howard (and everyone that helped) for putting this togeather.

A few pictures...
                              The ride in;
                              Some ware between Vernal and Grand Junction...

OK so we only stoped once to take pictures.
                              Her are our bikes.

At Brant's place.

He is such a great host - He was out in the garage cleaning my exhaust at 3 or 4 am (it had melted boot from the previous owner) it is now shinny and new!

Anita - Thanks for letting us stay at your place. I enjoyed your home cooked meal. It was fantastic!!! Next time I will makle sure my wife can come with me.

The bikes!
                              OK well atleast most of them.

I know that was not all of them...
                              Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                              80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                              82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                              82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                              82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                              72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                              72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

• Bishop's Castle.

this is the man how build the castle

Pikes peek.
                                We had to cool off the bikes just inside the gate. With only going 1/2 MPH (Ok maybe 2 MPH) the bikes got HOT!

At the top.

I'm not very good at that selfy thing

Last night in camp

Trip home.
                                I only stop at one place to take a picture...(My wife said I need to get better at this)

I was able to avoid the rain except for the last mile...

I had a realy good time! Looking forward to the next one.(I will ride my bike insted of my wifes )
                                Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                                80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                                82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                                82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                                82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                                72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                                72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                                X