2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Yeah Brant, I'm waiting for that Publishers Clearing House van to show up in front of my house. No sign of it yet.

The trip is looking more like a go after the news of a new guy possibly starting next week.

Cross your fingers, toes, legs, and arms. but, don't cross your wives this close to a rally.
    Sounds positive, but don't cut yourself short to be XSessive in future either.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• New guy starting next week. As long as I don't run him off before the 17th I'm good to go.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• "Pardon me ... just one more thing!"

I tried some Permatex Ultra Black to Mickey Mouse a fix for an oil leak at the front 12mm cylinder head nut for the cam chain tunnel and it didn't work.

I'm not doing a three or four thousand mile trip with an oil leak so I have to change the head gasket. Fortunately, I have a couple of complete gasket sets but the original '80G head and cylinders have well over 100K on them now with most of the mileage put on since the rebuild five years ago. I'm going to swap in a '79 head along with the cams, ignition advance assemblies and some low-mileage XJ11 pistons and cylinders.

I just hope I can get everything ready before Columbo figures out what I'm doing or I'm in trouble: "V-e-e-r-r-y interesting -- but stupid!"

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• With the XJ alt. set-up, sounds like your 80 motor is gradually morphin' into an XJ set-up........and not necessarily by choice. Either way, an unwanted chore this close to a LD ride.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Not a problem, Brant. Yeah, I got a lot of good parts out of that XJ but so did a lot of other people.

The XJ jugs and pistons were already more or less already set up to go on the '79 Special engine build so I just kind of repurposed them for Columbo. I do have a seized but complete '80G engine I got from Eagle Tom and I've also managed to stash away two complete '80G heads so I could put everything back to stock but where's the fun in that?

I did all of the disassembly yesterday and the head, pistons and cylinders look pretty darned good. Except for the oil leak there's not a blessed thing wrong with the engine so I could just put on a head gasket and go riding tomorrow. All of the pistons and valves have light to chocolate brown tans and almost no carbon so fire and fuel is dead-solid-perfect. The cylinder walls were barely within spec last time and they still look fantastic for their age but they're being retired.

Today was spent scraping off the #2 Permatex I used to seal the cylinder/engine case gasket, then disassembling, boiling and cleaning the '79SF head.

The '79 head looks pretty good too; valves and seats are in great shape but the seals were bad so everything was an oily carbon mess. Tonight I'll check the springs and find some good ones if they're sacked, tomorrow I'll lap the valves and put the head back together. If everything goes right by tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to clay the 3H5 pistons and check the valve clearance.

-- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              Not a problem, Brant. Yeah, I got a lot of good parts out of that XJ but so did a lot of other people.

The XJ jugs and pistons were already more or less already set up to go on the '79 Special engine build so I just kind of repurposed them for Columbo. I do have a seized but complete '80G engine I got from Eagle Tom and I've also managed to stash away two complete '80G heads so I could put everything back to stock but where's the fun in that?

I did all of the disassembly yesterday and the head, pistons and cylinders look pretty darned good. Except for the oil leak there's not a blessed thing wrong with the engine so I could just put on a head gasket and go riding tomorrow. All of the pistons and valves have light to chocolate brown tans and almost no carbon so fire and fuel is dead-solid-perfect. The cylinder walls were barely within spec last time and they still look fantastic for their age but they're being retired.

Today was spent scraping off the #2 Permatex I used to seal the cylinder/engine case gasket, then disassembling, boiling and cleaning the '79SF head.

The '79 head looks pretty good too; valves and seats are in great shape but the seals were bad so everything was an oily carbon mess. Tonight I'll check the springs and find some good ones if they're sacked, tomorrow I'll lap the valves and put the head back together. If everything goes right by tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to clay the 3H5 pistons and check the valve clearance.

Should be good, if there's no difference in pistons between the 80 and XJ.
              If I read correctly from the post, Tcoop just did EXACTLY that with no clearance issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Should be good, if there's no difference in pistons between the 80 and XJ.
                If I read correctly from the post, Tcoop just did EXACTLY that with no clearance issues.
                Yes, he did and nope, there's no difference in the pistons. The 3H5 was used for the '82 XJ11 in the USA and, I think, at least up in The Great White Norf until '84.

Cleaning and reworking the '79 head was most of what's been holding me back putting the engine together for "Bush" because the finish is corroded from the salt air in Lompoc and there's a bunch of stinkin' piddly fiddly work to make it right, not just run it. I just haven't been in the mood but now that I have a reason besides, "Oh, it'll be so cool!" it's getting done.

-- Scott
                _____

Comment

• Did the remainder of "Rally Maintenance" today. Pulled the carbs to replace the needle seat o-rings and fuel screw o-rings. Have come to know the needle seat o-rings need replacing every 4 years or so. They were down to a finger tight seal, and upon removal were loose and floppy/soft, not firm, so it was time. I had fuel dump out the airbox, and while i rebuilt the octy at that point a month ago, it still meant something wasn't sealing in the carbs themselves. Should be problem solved.

New o-rings from a Viton harbor freight o-ring assortment tightened things up nicely. Also replaced the fuel screw o-rings with some from an eBay o-ring assortment for rebuilding the carbs, as it was still on the original ones (!). Could have used the o-rings from this assortment for the needle seats, but wanted to see how the harbor freight ones worked instead. Harbor freight assortment doesn't have them small enough for the fuel screws.

Took her for a ride and she's ready to go!

New MD/FD fluid, new front tire, carbs as described above, K&N air filter serviced, battery fluid topped off.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Newbie,,and unknown,,But I'm trying everything I can think of to be able to go.. It's not that far for me,,,But I've got obligations at Frontier Days and not sure if I can get away at all,,,

But I'm trying,,

L.A.
                    82 XJ11

Comment

• SA-WEET L.A.! Welcome.

Great to hear from you. It'll be a great time down here, however Frontier Days ain't exactly a sharp stick in the eye either.

Keep in touch, you have a spot by the campfire.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Hey gents!

Getting closer to Colorado Rally '14!

I'm going to be around this week, then heading back to my stomping grounds in the Midwest to coach basketball camp starting this Saturday the 12th, returning the night of the 17th. Won't have a whole lot of forum accessibility during that time. I'll be packing up the morning of the 18th and riding down to the campground to be there around 2pm. Any of you boys up Denver way are welcome to meet me in Palmer Lake for the ride down. After a week of high school kids and coaching, I sure would be happy for any adult company... Let me know!

The gal I worked with today to confirm and pay the remaining balance on the group site is named Ashley. Don't know if she is gonna be there when we start showing up, but she did say they are pretty flexible if anyone shows up before the 2pm "official" check in time.

The reservation is under my name, Howard Bonser so have at it when you guys start showing up!

The group site is plenty large, so find a spot to set up your tent and settle in. Shouldn't need to crowd the pavilion with tent set up, that way guys can go off to sleep when they want and get away from the rest of the boys howling at the moon.

How much distance do you guys want to do in a day? Is a 300 mile day too much for a day ride? Do you prefer more around 250 miles?

I have an awesome loop in mind for Saturday that will take in Skyline Drive in Canon City to start, on down to Bishops castle on some great two lane, over to Westcliffe then north on Hwy 69 to Hwy 50, along the Arkansas river to Salida/Poncha Springs, down to Saguache on Hwy 285, then Hwy 114 up to just east of Gunnison and catch Hwy 50 for the ride back over Monarch Pass, then back through Salida following the Arkansas River to the Campground back at the Royal Gorge. It'd be more like a 300-325 mile day, but a heckuva lot of stuff to enjoy.

Thoughts?
                        Last edited by Bonz; 07-08-2014, 11:02 PM.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Bonz,

Whatever y'all decide to do is fine with me and 300 miles isn't too bad.

The parts are almost clean enough to paint and reassemble, just doing the detail work now for the nooks and crannies. Shims. Still have to lap the valves and reset all the shims, too. <grimace> It's too late to cancel the reservations so if I can't get Humpty Dumpty together again I'll borrow a car for the rally.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

• Sweet, you can be our pace car...
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Hey, all...
                              As of today, Bohn Frazer and I will be attending.
                              We just missed the deal on one of the cabins that had 3 beds, but we've found a good deal for the same cost at a motel within 8 miles of the campground, so should be good. We've booked the room for Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights.

Bohn has a nice pickup and enclosed trailer setup.
                              I'm planning on heading out Thursday morning by 6 am, riding to Salina, Ks. where I'll meet up w/ Bohn. We'll load my Concours in the trailer with his GS, and drive the rest of the way.

I have tried to call Greg, and have sent him a text with the plan.
                              Hopefully, Greg can ride to my house, and we can ride together to Salina.
                              The plan is to meet Bohn by 11:00 am, load my bike, lunch, fuel, and head west.
                              Hopefully we'll be there by around 8:00 pm, just before dark.

I'm hoping Greg can leave on Thurs? Gimmee a call, and let me know, Greg.

Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces I haven't seen in a while, and finally meeting a lot of you that I've "known" from 6 years of chatting online here with.

Plus, sounds like there's some new guys I'll get to meet, too! Cool...

Can't wait to get to ride those mountain roads again! It's been since June '09.
                              Connie's all ready to go, new tires, the works!

Cody would like to go, but is tied up with work, and can't make it.

Bob
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Bonz,

When we rallied in Colorado back in '09, 300-350 miles per day was about right.

That route you're suggesting sounds good.

We also stopped at the Bar D that rally. That's a great place. Good food and entertainment. I'd be up for that again, if we can figure a route to include it.

Bob
                                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                                X