Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the start Seb_99.

I'm gonna say early -mid July.

With respect to rdmcguy and the Denver area, Cherry Creek would need a half hour/45 minutes to get west and to the mountains, and that much coming back. A hotel is a hotel in most mountainy places and the camping is the same wherever. My thought is to wake up in the riding, not ride to it, per se.

Mid-August is going to yield some weather issues during the day, a lot more potential for that than July, no question.

Had a great turnout for early July in 2011, longer riding daylight as well and nights are not getting near as cool (cold).

BTW, the 2011 Rally was at United Campground in Durango. It was mentioned as being in Ouray. We rode through Ouray on our Saturday ride, campground was Durango.

There it is fella's, give it some thought.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

No offense taken

Bonz,
      no offense taken ,I think mid July is perfect I just wanted to get the ball rolling
      so to speak..

Thought maybe some of the guys from far away might like the comfort of a motel or my house as a home base to leave some of their things versus dragging it along with them.
      All of it is here in our back yard,
      wherever and whenever.....count me in
      Joe
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Good deal Joe, looking forward to it coming together!

JAT, the Westcliffe area has some good places to camp and a hotel or two. Really low key. Some good rides heading north on hwy 69, joining hwy 50 along the Arkansas river, then either west to Salida and Monarch Pass, north out of Salida to Leadville, or to the east for a look at the Royal Gorge then North on Hwy 9 toward Guffey etc.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I'm game for just about whatever. Just no gravel roads, shortcut gravel or otherwise for either of my bikes.
          Way too many scenic routes of Colo. hiways to have to divert to that.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Canon City area is a thought. No gravel roads. Selection of hotels in Canon City and campgrounds by The Royal Gorge, good local type eating places. Royal Gorge, Skyline Drive attractions and the opportunity to make about any length ride(s) to fit the group.

I really liked the proximity of the campground to the hotels in Durango 2011, made it easy for the hotel folks to hang out by the campfire at the end of the day, per se. We would be a bit more spread out if doing this suggestion.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Canon City area is a thought. No gravel roads. Selection of hotels in Canon City and campgrounds by The Royal Gorge, good local type eating places. Royal Gorge, Skyline Drive attractions and the opportunity to make about any length ride(s) to fit the group.

I really liked the proximity of the campground to the hotels in Durango 2011, made it easy for the hotel folks to hang out by the campfire at the end of the day, per se. We would be a bit more spread out if doing this suggestion.
              Hmmm......was that a hint Howard?.
              I can say, wherever a base location is located, it needs to be in the 6500ft. elev. or lower. Altitude acclimation becomes an issue for some if overnite......unless your a marathon guru like SanDiego Mike.
              Myself, don't do as good as I used to if I gotta stay overnite above 8000ft....and have spent my life working @6500ft. and above.
              Just something to consider for some who may come from sea-levels up to 4000ft.
              Wouldn't want some dealing with a nagging headache and not resting well.
              Have seen this scenario way too many times.
              My location the past 20yrs. is 4800ft. here in G.Junction, so between that and age, extended stays above 8K can be bothersome at times.
              Just an important factor to consider for others when having any type of get-together with folks possibly coming from low, low elevations.
              I just presumed that was not an issue for the 17+ riders in 2011.

Howard, your location/area would be a good choice, with lots of two-lane mountain riding west up towards Leadville(town is 10,000ft. elev.) and a whole lot inbetween, with short rides up PikesPeak, Mt evans etc. Of course BuenaVista/ Leadville area has the most 14'ers(elev.) in one area than any other location on THIS continent.
              AS far as CanonCity for a base location, if riding were to go as far as the ArkansasRiverCanyon, that little ole windy two-lane gets REALLY crowded with cage traffic and rafting outfits.
              MonarchPass, making a loop out of it, not repeating same highway is another good choice for group riding.
              Just some suggestions that make for generally SAFE group rides, considering a weekend would be involved.
              Remember too, time is runnin' WAY short as far as nailing a base location, as alot of folks who may have interest in riding these awesome mountain roads make plans otherwise, specially on a realative short notice. Unlike us 'locals' who can, on less than a days notice, ride any portion of the state, and be home same nite if necessary.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Is there anything similar to the restaurant where we ate in Durango with the live music and comedy act along with dinner? That was a hoot and the food was pretty good too!
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Can't speak for the live music but have you ever looked around at a restaurant full of XSives Scott? Always a comedy act.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Can't speak for the live music but have you ever looked around at a restaurant full of XSives Scott? Always a comedy act.
                    No kiddin'!

And depending on where we eat, the live music always seems to start sometime after dinner....

Ah! I found the place:-
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                      And depending on where we eat, the live music always seems to start sometime after dinner....
                      So, you have had dinner with Harry and Tod then.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        So, you have had dinner with Harry and Tod then.
                        It's not just the band and the encores, there's all that audience participation too!

-- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Motoman- It wasn't meant as a hint, just the distance of hotels to that campground was maybe a mile at most. Durango is 6500' in round numbers, Canon City is 5300'... a legit difference in terms of your thoughts.

So, maybe the Canon city/Royal Gorge area (10 miles apart) idea is one to consider even if for the elevation aspect alone. Campgrounds around the Gorge, hotels in Canon City. My thought on the traffic along the River Road is we are a good size group and won't be pushing it, and non-holiday weekends aren't all that busy compared to roads in the northern part of the state, and it would only be a part of a ride. But definitely some great out and back/round trip rides that would allow choices for more than one group if desired.

Scotty, not sure what/if there are dinner opportunities are out there like what y'all did in Durango (CZ and I did Wendy's and started the beer early... ) but there are great local eating places above and beyond the typical fast food/chain places.

Keep in mind, this is in the eastern/central part of the state relative to Durango, so another thing to consider is distance for the western comers. May entice folks from the Midwest though.

With summer fast approaching, the main thing is to pick a date, pick the place and "they will come".

Sebastian, you catching all this?

Folks in general, what is the consensus so far?
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Eh, we'll find somewhere to eat, no problem.

I'm looking forward to going East over the pass to Denver when they're not making snow at the summit ski resorts. Riding through the Eisenhower Tunnel when it's not frozen solid with huge mounds of ice inside should be a novel experience too.

-- Scott
                            _____

Comment

The Canon City locale is way south of Eisenhower tunnel and Denver, which brings back the point of let's get a location set.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                                Eh, we'll find somewhere to eat, no problem.

I'm looking forward to going East over the pass to Denver when they're not making snow at the summit ski resorts. Riding through the Eisenhower Tunnel when it's not frozen solid with huge mounds of ice inside should be a novel experience too.

Hmmm.....you ARE serious! How far east......another 5,000mi.+ shake-down-test run(not the bike, you)?

Comment

Working...
                                X