2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    How about late August or early September?

I'm planning to do the XS Southeast 2014 Rally again this year (I know! I know! ), on September 26th -- 28th in North Carolina and I reserved a room this morning. I want to leave two weeks early, maybe more, to ride back East so I can enjoy the trip this time and see some sights instead of playing, "Find The Open Gas Station!" at midnight whilst counting and dodging 'gators along the '40.

What?.........you don't want snowflakes chasin' ya home this year? Good thing you found those missing volts on the Bently, or it was gonna be a long winter.
    Last edited by motoman; 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

best dates for rally

Howdy, best dates for the bunch from Sun Diego are mid july to first week of august. I teach High School and its back with the kids in early August. I still remember hitting snow on one of the high altitude runs in the summer. Prefer camping as its cheap, cool to hang out with all the bikes and folks and drink the evening away and much easier to herd everyone for any day cruises in the area. Plus, seeing the xs crew in one location and their expertise on repairs and diagnostics has helped out more than a few of us on the long miles, ie Scott, DiverRay, John, Eagletom, Motoman, Tkat, Jerry and others. Set a date, and they will come..................Mike in Sun DIego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        OUCH!!!!!!!
        Yea....he's on that side of town nearer the airport, so they gonna nail ya'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          What?.........you don't want snowflakes chasin' ya home this year? Good thing you found those missing volts on the Bently, or it was gonna be a long winter.
          Finding the missing volts was a hoot! We still need to try that carb swap test we forgot to do before I went home. Or you could try to talk one of the locals into a quick test.

And no I do not want snowflakes chasing me but like, you know, if I took the '70 East this time I could probably use the fairing to ride the wind and get >600 MPG most of the way to North Carolina!

Somewhere in the grand scheme of things this summer I'll be visiting my friends in Washington and Utah. I was going to do that after The Rally but I could do it in reverse/counter-clockwise by heading up the coast to Oregon. Cutting over to Portland; Portland to Utah; Utah to <mumble> CO for The Rally would work if the dates are copacetic. Following a meander to the XS SE Rally after that kind of depends on <cough>when!</cough> I'd be in Colorado.

-- Scott
          _____
          ♬
          2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
          ♬

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            Finding the missing volts was a hoot! We still need to try that carb swap test we forgot to do before I went home. Or you could try to talk one of the locals into a quick test.

And no I do not want snowflakes chasing me but like, you know, if I took the '70 East this time I could probably use the fairing to ride the wind and get >600 MPG most of the way to North Carolina!

Somewhere in the grand scheme of things this summer I'll be visiting my friends in Washington and Utah. I was going to do that after The Rally but I could do it in reverse/counter-clockwise by heading up the coast to Oregon. Cutting over to Portland; Portland to Utah; Utah to <mumble> CO for The Rally would work if the dates are copacetic. Following a meander to the XS SE Rally after that kind of depends on <cough>when!</cough> I'd be in Colorado.

Well, at least YOU have somewhat of an attack plan
            As far as swappin' carbies.......looks like one more removal for the lean plug in #4. Other than that, it rocks,........again. The 'Venturer dileama' thread I started awhile back is where I'll be postin' the fixes and such after
            I pull them and go back thru #4's idle circuit and re-inspect that pilot jet with a magnifying glass, as I'm sure that's causing the teeny-tiny psst....psst(lack of better referance, but the Oldies here know) thru exhaust upon slightest throttle increase from ANY cruisin' rpm. Of course, a quick slight twist, it's fine.

I know, a bit anal, but my ears also remember very well the EXACT exhaust sound emminted at any given rpm range when new, and when that is just off even minutely, without a doubt I know.

Got a planned road trip(cage) to Columbus, GA. end of August, daughters wedding Aug. 2nd, maybe a cage run up thru Tetons/Yellostone/Nat'l Firearms Museum in Cody June or July, but being 'local', gettin' to a rally of sorts anywhere in the state(or ajoining five states) is not an issue, unless I'm not here, of course.

Comment

BTW, if it weren't for the pre-planned stuff this summer, I would have no problem 'taking the bull by the horns' again............but, if any are plannin' some Colo. mountain riding on their excursions this summer, I'd be more than happy to save them havin' to stop and look at maps and wonderin' what would be the most scenic, or most twisty fun. Retired, I can, on short notice of arrival in the area, be more than willing to take the lead on that.

Comment

Just curious about names for this photo.

80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                  Just curious about names for this photo.

On left is DiverRay, cannot make out 2nd guy in shadow, middle is Soccer4m-Mike, Planedick(?)-Richard, on right is 3Phase-Scott

Where was pic taken? I know its in my Durango album but I did not take it -

John
                  Last edited by jwhughes3; 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM. Reason: CRS
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Is Marty guy #2?

Also let me qualify - I do not remember taking it!

John
                    Last edited by jwhughes3; 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM. Reason: CRS

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Name

The second to the right xs'r is the famous "Roo" or real name Rupert, and I think goes by the xs name "Bobber" since his bike is the one that started the whole xs bobber thing. He hails from England and now resides near Scott in Ventura, California. Roo is a great guy and has been on a bunch of xs rallies also,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
                      mike
                      1982 xj1100 maxim
                      1981 venture bagger
                      1959 wife

Comment

You mean second from left - between you and Ray? I thought Roo had the beard....

John

Comment

right or left

Hi John, Roo is second to the right from the left side or second from the left anyway Roo is the bearded chap, hope that helps..........Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1959 wife

Comment

Maybe the 4-corners area? Not in or around Durango. The one was taken at the top of Wolf Creek Pass during the 2011 Colorado Rally:

A handsom group!
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              Maybe the 4-corners area? Not in or around Durango. The one was taken at the top of Wolf Creek Pass during the 2011 Colorado Rally:

A handsom group!
                              Well, close, I wasn't there. We missed that one John, since Scott and I stayed and got your scoot up and hittin' on all four that day........was all good though.
                              Yup, Roo's a character.....and gotta be tough as nails riddin that mini-seated bobber(I rode it 15miles and could hardly get back off). He rode it from Caly to the rally, up to Junction to my place(him and Scott), then all the way up into Washinton(IIRC) to meet up with a friend, load it on a big truck haulin' other stuff and back to Caly. Yeppers, trust me, one tough hombre that boy is......and bought as comical as they come.

Comment

Well....lets start with a date guys. I'm gonna propose the middle of August. Meet up on the evening of August 15th (which is convenient if you get paid 2x a month because its the check that generally isnt rent/mortgage time). Then trek to a spot thats agreed upon. Set up camp, hang out. Wake up Saturday, cruise the mountains. Head back to camp, hang out, drink, BS then head back tour our respective homes Sunday.
                                79 SF

Comment

Working...
                                X