No announcement yet.

2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee, thanks guys. It is true that I have ridden pretty much all over the state but there are many roads I have yet to travel. Have co-hosted 2 Colorado rallies (2001, 2011) which has been fun as well.

I am heading out to the Brockville, Ontario rally the end of June and won't be back until after the 4th of July. Off to Nappa Valley in October for a 40th weding anniversary trip. Later half of July, all of August and September are open.

May - early June are possibilities but high country travel is iffy at best. Independence Pass, for example, normally opens by Memorial Day but only by a lot of work by the Colorado DOT, often including blasting to get the avalances to run.

You don't need me to have a Colorado Rally, though. Lots of good XS people all over the state even if they don't post often. We've had a couple informal rides over the years when a group feels they want to come over to this side of the state to ride. I am sure a rally would have a good turn-out without me present!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back on and post. Work has been busy for me. Ideally what I would like to do is make it a camping rally (I love the idea of packing all the gear on the bike and roughing it, fishing, riding, etc). I'm a 28 year colorado native as is my little brother (a new XS owner as well) and we know loads of great places to see. A really cool, scenic area that would be a fun ride to is Ouray, CO (though my heart isnt set on any one place). I would just like to keep it more of a camping rally really. As far as when, July is my favorite month for these kinds of things, best weather really, no rain, no snow, etc. Also, my band will be on tour at the end of august-early september.
      Thoughts?
      79 SF

Comment

I like Ouray (you-Ray for non-Colorodans); we had our rally there in 2011. United Campground is a good bet. Link to photos of that rally is

http://www.appleattic.net/Galleries/colorado_11.html

Since that is a day trip for me I would be glad to attend or just meet up with a few guys who want to ride the area for a couple days. Whatever works.

Just a plug...I have photos from 12 rallies on My Galleries page, link in in my signature. Also have a gallery of XS 11 owners on the same page.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I hope to be delivering a XS1100E to my Daughter and Son-in-law sometime in the next few months (I have to finish it first ). Hopefully the date for this rally can be locked down and I can plan on making it. They live in Lakewood.
          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Well.........least y'all got the state pinned down.........just figure out which side of the 'hill'.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I would like to say, I've never organized a rally before and haven't the slightest idea on how to do it. I'm just proposing ideas of what I think would be a fun thing to do, if someone who is better at this than I am is willing to take the lead on this that would be excellent! I just want to do some sort of camping rally in the mountain of Colorado, the rest is details.
              79 SF

Comment

How about late August or early September?

I'm planning to do the XS Southeast 2014 Rally again this year (I know! I know! ), on September 26th -- 28th in North Carolina and I reserved a room this morning. I want to leave two weeks early, maybe more, to ride back East so I can enjoy the trip this time and see some sights instead of playing, "Find The Open Gas Station!" at midnight whilst counting and dodging 'gators along the '40.

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Colorado

Sebastian,
                  As you have probably read in this post the best time seems to be in early August.I proposed A Denver based rally which allowed the possibility of night time activities for those it might appeal to.
                  there are motels camping and plenty of restaurants nearby.
                  A camping excursion is at least as good ...I thought that possibly potential rally goers might indicate their preferences HINT.
                  I am guessing most will only have Sat and Sun.If it becomes a three day event
                  maybe a split rally joining forces on the third day .
                  The initial idea for this years rally was yours I am only putting ideas out there.
                  SO GUYS AND GIRLS WE NEED YOUR INPUT.

BTW.if you read this entire thread you will get an idea of what I thought..
                  might be appealing....Joe
                  78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Input, huh?

Okay, you asked for it! How about this year we have the Colorado Rally in -- Colorado!

-- Scott
                    _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                      I would like to say, I've never organized a rally before and haven't the slightest idea on how to do it. I'm just proposing ideas of what I think would be a fun thing to do, if someone who is better at this than I am is willing to take the lead on this that would be excellent! I just want to do some sort of camping rally in the mountain of Colorado, the rest is details.
                      Hi Sebation,
                      You are as qualified as all the rest of us that have organized rallies. Your last sentence is all you need. Desire Plan Action.
                      You have enough input that shows interest. Pick a place pick a date and
                      and they will come. Three makes a rally sometimes more than 50 turn up.
                      Realize that your date will not suit everyone who would like to come.
                      Camping might turn some off while it will interest others.
                      If Colorado was not so damn far away I would come.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Great idea

Thanks for helping us narrow it down,
                        You don't want to be up in these hills too late in the season,
                        can you say 80 degrees in town and 30 and possibly snow at elevation?
                        Mid august is on the edge
                        but then again the route could be changed to lower elevations,
                        Thought you were going to avoid that trrrreeekk aaaacrrrossss ttthhhe ppppplains?
                        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

That's why I want to leave a couple of weeks early: head east and stay south!

On the way back: head west and stay south!

-- Scott
                          _____

Comment

more ideas

OR you could come early and help me do the second gear fix on two bikes,
                            might even let you ride EL TORO,
                            Not being pushy just letting everyone know I am serious about a rally here.
                            Cherry creek state park has 181 available sites for camping about 6 miles from my house $33 a night.
                            Holiday inn at Stapleton $127 per night
                            Brand new Drury Inn At Stapleton, free breakfast and dinner,60 minutes free long distance micro coffee maker etc.$139 per night two queen beds at both,
                            Within stumbling distance to Drinks and eats
                            You can google these.
                            Joe

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                              Cherry creek state park has 181 available sites for camping about 6 miles from my house $33 a night.
                              Holiday inn at Stapleton $127 per night
                              Brand new Drury Inn At Stapleton, free breakfast and dinner,60 minutes free long distance micro coffee maker etc.$139 per night two queen beds at both,
                              Within stumbling distance to Drinks and eats
                              You can google these.
                              Joe
                              OUCH!!!!!!!
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Kind of pricey

Ba 80,
                                Yes they are kind of pricey,But they are nice places,
                                If you take into account the free breakfast and dinner that's good for 20 bucks
                                There are cheaper places Just thought the long haul travelers might some extra comfort,there is a Red lion inn close and a rodeway Inn nearby too.
                                If we decide that it will be a Denver based rally my offer of free lodging at my house still stands...now you can't beat that!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Working...
                                X