2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Dammit Scott, this is 'merica, it's pretty much ALL prairie.
    Except for the parts that are warm, with nice beaches, bikini babes, and mountain roads just minutes away. And I can lane-share.

You just need one of those longhorn skulls on the front of your bike.
    That could happen, my '79 needs a headlight, I'll talk to Joe at the rally. I have a good chrome '79 shell but none of the internals and I have to give the Honda CB900 headlight I borrowed back to my buddy just in case he ever gets his bike running and his wife lets him out of the house with it.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Except for the parts that are warm, with nice beaches, bikini babes, and mountain roads just minutes away. And I can lane-share. .
      Yes, Californication in Can'taffordya. I've heard of it.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Silverthorne

Sorry I don't know where I got Pipestone I talked some more with my son he and
        seven others rent this house year around. It has 5 beds up stairs that two people could sleep in 2 sets of bunk beds down stairs 2 futons and two couches.
        He said they have had 20 there in skiing season. He said we could get a deal
        $30 per person.
        79 SF

Comment

So which is it?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Silverthorne

Silverthorne exit 205 first exit west of Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel.
            79 SF

Comment

Silverthorne

Silverthorne exit 205 first exit west of Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel. One hour
              west of Denver on I-70.
              79 SF

Comment

Silverthorne

I found the Silverpipestemsticker place, next would be 'when'?

"In the time of the 7th moon" or something perhaps a little more specific: inquiring credit card clerks want to know!

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Silverthorne works OK. Couple good rides from there, First would be head west and take the Leadville (Hwy 91) exit. Not that far to Leadville, but it is an interesting town to visit and the Brown Burrow cafe is a good place to eat. For a short trip go back north out of Leadville on Hwy 24, some nice riding (a few sections are ledge roads) and you end up back on I-70 just west of Vail. Head east back to Silverthorne and you ride over Vail Pass.

A longer route is to drop down through Leadville and catch Hwy 82 toward Aspen. Ride over Independence Pass (12,095 feet) into Aspen then north and catch I-70 at Glenwood Springs. Head east back to SilverThorne about 80 miles away. Several good eateries in Glenwood (I work in town) but I don't know much about Aspen. Side trip to Maroon Bells (near Aspen) is possible but this is a fee area with an admission charge. Also includes some walking from the parking lot to the edge of the lake. Beautiful in fall colors but is impressive most any time.

I often eat at the Village Inn located in Silverthorne, good food and reasonable prices. Hotels in the area but I don't know about camping.

If this becomes a reality I can ride the routes and get back with exact mileages, but Silverthorne - Leadville - Aspen - Glenwood Springs - Silverthorne is a full day on 2-lane paved roads and includes a lot of mountain scenery as well as some valley riding. Side trip to Maroon Bells would add a couple hours, making this a looooong day for many but you would see a whole lot of what Colorado offers in scenery.

Another option is to go north from Silverthorne on Hwy 9 then cut east toward Rocky Mountain Natl Park on Hwy 40. Two options: Continue up to Grand Lake and into the western side of the park, or take Hwy 40 south toward Winter Park. Or do both, backtrack a bit to Hwy 40 after visiting Grand Lake. This route comes out east of Silverthorne on I-70 so the return leg is pretty easy. Not as mountainous as the Leadville side but a very nice ride and one I have made a couple times. Would be easier to do with a group and is a shorter loop than the Leadville - Aspen side.

There are more rides in the area but these are two possible loop rides. Another is head toward Breckenridge, west to Buena Vista, north to Leadville, then back to Silverthorne via Hwy 24 and Vail Pass. Good mix of some mountain riding (Hoosier Pass) coupled with some high plains mileage.

There are many routes that one could set up to ride; I have done these three and like them all. The Independence Pass route (Leadville to Aspen) is the most dramatic but also the longest of the three.

Anyway, I would be willing to help with any route planning that might be needed. Can also offer some comments on hosting if interested.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Denver based rally?

The original idea was Sebastiens and I don't want to step on anyones toes
                    but What would be your thoughts about a Denver based Rally?
                    I am thinking about offering my house as a base to take a series of day trips to The mountains
                    I have 3 available bedrooms and two couches plus my basement and lots of floor space.for air mattresses.
                    only one shower but two toilets,
                    All of that for the lowly sum of ZERO..$
                    Btw.You can smoke in my house as long as you don't burn the place down..lol
                    I only ask that you clean up after yourselves I don't have maid service or cable tv.though.
                    There is also camping or motels close by for those that prefer.
                    If we are smart about it and avoid rush hours we can be in the mountains in about a half an hour from my house.
                    I thought maybe a trip Through Estes Park across Trail Ridge Road (the highest Continuous paved road) in the U.S.and maybe Mt Evans.which is the highest non continuous road in the U.S.
                    You can google both of these.
                    But be forewarned The summit of both places is about 14000 feet which means the bikes will be more like 350's and your breathing will be a more
                    difficult,
                    I have no means to make banners or t shirts but maybe something along the lines of... XS/XJ Colorado 2014 rally.... couldn't get much higher!
                    As for dates mid June? July?
                    Let me know your thoughts
                    Joe
                    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Been on both routes, though not recently. We used to live in Boulder, would go up to Nederland then take Hwy 72 up to the Park. Very nice ride. Estes Park is worth a walk-about, some unique shops and several excellent candy stores. Ride over to Grand Lake gets above timberline and has several scenic pull-over spots. Drop down on Hwy 40 to I-70 and back to Denver to make a loop out of it.

Mt. Evans route is shorter and passes a few alpine lakes on the way. Mountain sheep are often seen along this route. There used to be a pavilion at the top but it burned down decades ago and now there is just a parking lot. Mountain top views from the summit but the best scenery is on the way up.

As for dates...I am already booked up for June and July and suspect others may be as well. Later in the year might be easier to work into schedules.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                        Silverthorne works OK. Couple good rides from there, First would be head west and take the Leadville (Hwy 91) exit. Not that far to Leadville, but it is an interesting town to visit and the Brown Burrow cafe is a good place to eat. For a short trip go back north out of Leadville on Hwy 24, some nice riding (a few sections are ledge roads) and you end up back on I-70 just west of Vail. Head east back to Silverthorne and you ride over Vail Pass.

A longer route is to drop down through Leadville and catch Hwy 82 toward Aspen. Ride over Independence Pass (12,095 feet) into Aspen then north and catch I-70 at Glenwood Springs. Head east back to SilverThorne about 80 miles away. Several good eateries in Glenwood (I work in town) but I don't know much about Aspen. Side trip to Maroon Bells (near Aspen) is possible but this is a fee area with an admission charge. Also includes some walking from the parking lot to the edge of the lake. Beautiful in fall colors but is impressive most any time.

I often eat at the Village Inn located in Silverthorne, good food and reasonable prices. Hotels in the area but I don't know about camping.

If this becomes a reality I can ride the routes and get back with exact mileages, but Silverthorne - Leadville - Aspen - Glenwood Springs - Silverthorne is a full day on 2-lane paved roads and includes a lot of mountain scenery as well as some valley riding. Side trip to Maroon Bells would add a couple hours, making this a looooong day for many but you would see a whole lot of what Colorado offers in scenery.

Another option is to go north from Silverthorne on Hwy 9 then cut east toward Rocky Mountain Natl Park on Hwy 40. Two options: Continue up to Grand Lake and into the western side of the park, or take Hwy 40 south toward Winter Park. Or do both, backtrack a bit to Hwy 40 after visiting Grand Lake. This route comes out east of Silverthorne on I-70 so the return leg is pretty easy. Not as mountainous as the Leadville side but a very nice ride and one I have made a couple times. Would be easier to do with a group and is a shorter loop than the Leadville - Aspen side.

There are more rides in the area but these are two possible loop rides. Another is head toward Breckenridge, west to Buena Vista, north to Leadville, then back to Silverthorne via Hwy 24 and Vail Pass. Good mix of some mountain riding (Hoosier Pass) coupled with some high plains mileage.

There are many routes that one could set up to ride; I have done these three and like them all. The Independence Pass route (Leadville to Aspen) is the most dramatic but also the longest of the three.

Anyway, I would be willing to help with any route planning that might be needed. Can also offer some comments on hosting if interested.
                        All a fun riding area, but anything around Silverthorne area as far as accommodations, eateries and fuel for that matter requires deeper pockets than I'd be riding with.

Back to you Sebastiens................
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

mid summer

Mid summer for me, after July 4th weekend to early August, as Work calls and I am doing Summer School for all the non-energized students that decide not to pass during the regular School year. Plus riding out from San Diego takes a few days to get there. We have to get a date that works for Jerry as he is the Grand XS Commandeer of many a Rally from early XS11 days. Plus he knows Colorado like the back of his hand along with Motoman.......Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by motoman
                            All a fun riding area, but anything around Silverthorne area as far as accommodations, eateries and fuel for that matter requires deeper pockets than I'd be riding with.
                            Can't say I know lodging rates, but fuel in Frisco / Silverthorne is cheaper than here in the western part of the state. Regular unleaded (85 octane) is running around $3.50 / gal, 91 octane around $3.80. Area has fast food places and restaurants. The Village Inn that I mentioned is about the same as anywhere else in terms of meals. Lodging ranges from around $60.00 per night (2-star) and up. A 4-star will go for $90 - $100 per night per a quick internet search. Did a look for camping as well and there are campgrounds in the area. USDA for $18.00 per night, commercial camping for $21 - $23 per night.

I don't think this area is any more expensive than other venues I've been to.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              Can't say I know lodging rates, but fuel in Frisco / Silverthorne is cheaper than here in the western part of the state. Regular unleaded (85 octane) is running around $3.50 / gal, 91 octane around $3.80. Area has fast food places and restaurants. The Village Inn that I mentioned is about the same as anywhere else in terms of meals. Lodging ranges from around $60.00 per night (2-star) and up. A 4-star will go for $90 - $100 per night per a quick internet search. Did a look for camping as well and there are campgrounds in the area. USDA for $18.00 per night, commercial camping for $21 - $23 per night.

I don't think this area is any more expensive than other venues I've been to.
                              Hmmmm,,,,,,maybe the economy threw those areas a reality check.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                                Mid summer for me, after July 4th weekend to early August, as Work calls and I am doing Summer School for all the non-energized students that decide not to pass during the regular School year. Plus riding out from San Diego takes a few days to get there. We have to get a date that works for Jerry as he is the Grand XS Commandeer of many a Rally from early XS11 days. Plus he knows Colorado like the back of his hand along with Motoman.......Mike in Sun Diego
                                Jerry does fairly well for not being a 'native', considering he 'got here as fast as he could'.

Comment

Working...
                                X