2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Scotty, you can resurrect a Phoenix from the ashes, I am confident!

XJOK, looking forward to meeting you, BA and Bohn. 'Preciate you guys making the trip across the plains to join us. 'Preciate you guys from Cali as well and getting to see you all. And then there's rdmcguy and CaptonZap who bear mentioning as additional creative and inspirational conspirators of cat herding.
    Howard,
    Looking forward to meeting you, too!
    We really appreciate you guys organizing this!
    I have been to Colorado many times, and have relatives that live in the Denver area. But I had never had the privilege of seeing the Rockies experience on a bike until '09. There's nothing like it, period.
    I rode a lot of the same roads I had driven in a car many times, and it was so different...so much better on a bike.

Sounds like it's gonna be a great rally!
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      Wow, Scott...sorry to hear all the trouble your having.
      Nah, it's no trouble -- it's fnu! and it's been a long time since my hands were this clean anyway.

I can just imagine trying to get a 35 year old bike registered out there.
      Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of things to love, but it's still pretty free here.

If you lived here, you wouldn't have to put up with that type of nonsense.
      You can register all the XS's you're garage/backyard/budget can handle!
      Yeah, The State and DMV are out of control. We're pretty close to bankrupt too so the State is looking for more ways to keep the lights on in the Capitol and fund the latest harebrained schemes. The emission control laws started out as a necessity and really were a good idea but since the '60s the whole thing's been through several generations of politicians, hundreds if not thousands of committee meetings and it's enforced by unelected government workers that can't be fired.

Sounds like rings may be the deal with your XS, then.
      I just looked at the 'F pistons and the oil rings are pretty much carbon'd in place. At least they can't get lost and fall out.

Honestly, the hardest part of getting this project started was cleaning the cruddy 'SF head so I could check it. I should have just pulled the 'F head in the first place and tossed the other one in the recycle bin. I broke my valve spring compressor taking apart the 'SF head too so I'll have to make one out of a c-clamp and PVC before I can go any further with the 'F head.

... I love the XS, and always will. They're great.
      I just decided to go to a new bike for the dependability, comfort, warranty, fuel mileage and range, (mine gets around 50 mpg and has a 6 gal. tank,) etc. So far, I've put 18k miles on it, and -0- problemos...just miles of smiles.
      50 mpg... I can only dream. And remember getting more than 50 mpg and having zero problems along with miles of smiles on my '81 KZ750E2. I really, really, REALLY! wish I hadn't sold it. Ex-wives....

... Hope to get to meet ya and ride with you, Scott. I figure you and I have a lot in common, especially about work. Hang in there, and hope you get it going.
      Bob
      I will see you there! I have to show up because I've already paid for the cabin!

Shoot, the wireless router's going bad and cutting in and out, I hope this posts. I'll have to go down to Wally World or Staples immediately and get a new router so I can spend time on the 'net instead of working on my XS. <laughing>

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• I get 50-52 mpg on the ZRX 1200 with the ZZR 1200 CVK40mm carbs adapted to it. Freaking amazing something that size and carbureted with that much stomp can pull that mileage in everyday riding. Stock 36mm carbs yielded 46-48 mpg same riding. Cruising the hills and back mountain roads jumps it up into the mid 50's.

Makes the XS that pulls around 40 mpg so far this riding season(Auto CCT added last fall) look like it oughta be buying carbon credits...
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Ok... First things first...
          If I still owned an XS, I'd be riding it.
          BUT, I don't. I have one bike now...2011 C14.
          Second, after going through the ordeal in '09 with dropping the oil pump down in the pan on my Maxim, being stranded out on the mountain road 850 miles away from home, thinking that when it fell out it had sheared the teeth off the drive gear behind the clutch with no way to fix it on the side of the road...a truck and trailer makes for a good plan "B" to me.

Plus, you're forgetting something... I've rode on a few trips with ya now...
          Crashes have happened. A truck and a trailer is a REAL good thing in that case!

Plus, I ride probably more ATGATT than anybody I know, and going across Kansas in July's not on my favorites list of things to do...
          Colorado is always like the reward after the punishment of Kansas to me...lol.

So, don't be giving these new guys that haven't ridden with me the wrong idea, Greg... Don't forget last year when I went to Vegas, Springdale Utah, Bryce, the Escalante... And rode the last 837 miles home in one day...

I have no problem Iron Butting when I need to...
          and Connie's no trailer queen...usually. Lol...just will be this time!

Besides, it will help Bohn out having me drive part of the way.
          It's a win/win as I see it.

Plus...if your XS breaks down, you got a way to haul her...
          (Not that it could EVER happen....)

Hehehe...
          WOW! Relax Bob........relax........relax.....
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• No worries, Greg! It's all good! Lol...
            I'm just yankin' yer chain.... back.

Just wanted to get the record straight....

.....making fun of me and Bohn... Why, I never....

All I gotta say is, you better not run the new guy off before next Thursday...

Or we'll be sending ya a postcard telling you how much fun we all had without ya.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I'm starting to get worried, the new guy hasn't started yet. I hope I'm not screwed after saying I could come and then talking y'all into it.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I get 50-52 mpg on the ZRX 1200 with the ZZR 1200 CVK40mm carbs adapted to it. Freaking amazing something that size and carbureted with that much stomp can pull that mileage in everyday riding. Stock 36mm carbs yielded 46-48 mpg same riding. Cruising the hills and back mountain roads jumps it up into the mid 50's.

Makes the XS that pulls around 40 mpg so far this riding season(Auto CCT added last fall) look like it oughta be buying carbon credits...
                I freakin' love ZRX's.
                Cody used to have one.
                They're one bad motorscooter. But hey... It is a Kawasaki, after all...

I didn't know that they got that good of mileage, though. That's amazing!

The only other carb bike I've seen that got that good is Brent's old Harley.
                Every fuel stop we made last year, his actually beat mine by one mpg!
                Several times, we'd fuel...I'd calculate...and would say "mine got 50!"
                He'd add his up, and say..."51". I'd look at the amt he put in, and it would be slightly less than mine. Unbelievable, especially with the high miles that he has on it. He told me the head had never been off, either.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  I'm starting to get worried, the new guy hasn't started yet. I hope I'm not screwed after saying I could come and then talking y'all into it.
                  Hahahahahahahaha.....

Well......... Guess if that happens, we'll post some pics of all the fun we're havin here for ya...

Lol!

We'll SURE miss ya!

You gotta watch what you say about me and Bohn... Lady Karma, and all...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Hahahahahahahaha.....

Well......... Guess if that happens, we'll post some pics of all the fun we're havin here for ya...

Lol!

We'll SURE miss ya!

You gotta watch what you say about me and Bohn... Lady Karma, and all...
                    I might just tell ya I'm not going and the blow past you around Dodge City or something.

I was just looking at the map out of curiosity last night and I realized that I did that run from Hayward, Wi. coming home from The Lost Rally last August in about 11 hours. I had followed Dan ( oseaghdha ) down to near Eau Claire and when we split I got lost and ended up going 700 miles instead of 580 that I had planned.

The Green Hornet had no problem with 100 MPH on the super slab.

The only obstruction I had was all those slow azz Hardleys on their way home from Sturgis. None of them tried to keep up with me.

I was stopping every 80 miles for gas on that trip and rested for 15 - 20 minutes at a couple places.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I might just tell ya I'm not going and the blow past you around Dodge City or something.The Green Hornet had no problem with 100 MPH on the super slab.
                      Well, Ok, Mr. Snobby... But I'll tell ya this much... for you to pass me, you'll have to pull a "rope-a-dope"....

100? Is that all?? Why, at that pace, I'm barely getting ready to shift outta 2nd gear!

LOL!!

I keep forgetting you have that one now. I keep thinking you still ride Ole Okie...
                      Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-10-2014, 06:29 PM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I keep forgetting you have that one now. I keep thinking you still ride Ole Okie...
                        Sold it after the first trip. It financed my trip to the hospital in North Carolina.

I missed it as soon as it disappeared down my street.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• The ZRX 1200 (and predecessor 1100) have to be two of the most aftermarket friendly bikes on the planet, i.e. they respond incredibly well with copious power increases with just a full system and a jet kit. Put Flat slide carbs or the CVK40's from a ZZR 1200/ZX11 like I did (cheaper, more driveable and within a couple of Hp of the flat slides. It's true...)

My good mileage is the altitude out here. I am convinced that lower air resistance is a bigger factor than most would lead you to believe. But I also believe that the larger the throttle opening for a given speed, the more efficient an engine is. Running at altitude, all else equal, requires more throttle angle to do the same work.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Have you had the Connie in the mountains? The roads we'll be on will be a treat for you with twisties, switchbacks, and a bunch of 35 year old geezer bikes to play with! The GS will be a nice bike for this riding as well. Regardless of what we ride, we can talk about the XS all we want and enjoy its essence.

Motoman, you bringing the old school ST to show us how to go around a corner?
                            Whichever one, it'll be in 'plush ride' mode, as I'll be in 'tourist mode.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• I'm worried.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'm worried.
                                They still haven't hired the new guy yet?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                                X