No announcement yet.

2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've had a lot of rain here this past week. Skiatook got between 5-6" in a 24 hr period last week. Almost a flood!

Today, it almost roasted me. Got to 100 here, and the humidity was awful!
    Had 2 electrical jobs outside today. Sun was a scorcher.
    Came home with my shirt and jeans wringing wet with sweat.

But a cold front pushed through around 6 pm, and what a difference!
    Felt like Colorado! Dropped down to low 70's, and much lower humidity.

From here on this week, it's supposed to get cooler each day.
    By Thursday, the high will be 71.

Course, I won't be here... I'll be headed to where it will be 91-95!

Outta be fun!

Just not looking forward to 4 hrs. riding to Salina Kansas in Thunderstorms.
    But, won't be the first time, and as long as it's just rain, I got good rain gear and a big tall Cee Bailey's screen.

Gee, Scott...hate to hear your 11's being such a PITA to ya.
    Guess there is something worse than riding for 4 hrs in the rain...
    Having to drive a cage that far to a bike rally.
    Hope you get it running. But trusting it so soon afterwards to go so far would concern me, too.

I heard they've closed Pike's Peak due to excessive rain.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      We've had a lot of rain here this past week. Skiatook got between 5-6" in a 24 hr period last week. Almost a flood!

Today, it almost roasted me. Got to 100 here, and the humidity was awful!
      Had 2 electrical jobs outside today. Sun was a scorcher.
      Came home with my shirt and jeans wringing wet with sweat.

But a cold front pushed through around 6 pm, and what a difference!
      Felt like Colorado! Dropped down to low 70's, and much lower humidity.

From here on this week, it's supposed to get cooler each day.
      By Thursday, the high will be 71.

Course, I won't be here... I'll be headed to where it will be 91-95!

Outta be fun!

Just not looking forward to 4 hrs. riding to Salina Kansas in Thunderstorms.
      But, won't be the first time, and as long as it's just rain, I got good rain gear and a big tall Cee Bailey's screen.

Gee, Scott...hate to hear your 11's being such a PITA to ya.
      Guess there is something worse than riding for 4 hrs in the rain...
      Having to drive a cage that far to a bike rally.
      Hope you get it running. But trusting it so soon afterwards to go so far would concern me, too.

I heard they've closed Pike's Peak due to excessive rain.
      Nuttin' to worry bout, that sorta thing changes daily, same as afternoon weather here. Normally don't get 'turd floater' rains that last any lenght of time as happens more the farther east you go. Whole lot of nuthin' for you guys from Salinas to state line cept a couple fuel locations, so a little rain should help relieve the bore of the super-slab.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• on the weather, looks like only a 10 percent chance of precipitation on Friday and Saturdarey in canon city from what I'm seeing so that's not much and it comes and goes so quick in Colorado. However, everyone needs to have good rain gear because you are in the mountains it can come and go and be different around every bend.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Yeah, there shouldn't be the problem.
          It's leaving out from here Thursday am @ 6:00 am...
          Now they've upped it to an 80% chance for all day rain.

Lately, when it's rained here, it's poured...so, looks like I'll definitely be sportin' the 'ole rain gear to Salina.

So...still looks like your out, Greg? No new guy?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• No new guy, I'm still out.

On a happier note, my new E3 rear tire got here today. Should be set for the rest of the season and into next spring.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• forecast

After a 1400 mile trip to north Dakota to retrieve my 16 yr. old daughter I am back in Colorado....whew!!!
              The forecast for Fri and Sat shows NO rain for those two days...Never can tell in Co. though...temps in the low 80's day...high 50's at night..we'll see.
              Am looking forward to meeting you guys .....To add a bit of a joke to it I will add this....only 5 more shopping days till my birthday...Sunday...Come celebrate my 55th

Joe
              78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                only 5 more shopping days till my birthday...Sunday...Come celebrate my 55th

Joe
                Kid........LOL.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Me a kid?

Hey Greg,
                  remember it's not the age ......it's the mileage!!!!!!
                  78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    No new guy, I'm still out.

On a happier note, my new E3 rear tire got here today. Should be set for the rest of the season and into next spring.
                    Maybe even longer...if you never get to ride it.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Ram On!

<slow exhale> Whew!

Long story short: I put the '80G head back on. The '79 head needs the spark plug hole fixed and the valves are going to need adjusting after they settle back into their seats. I'm not keen about the idea of checking and changing valve shims when they tighten up somewhere on the road, at the rally, or probably all three.

I got the 80G head on, cams timed, valves shimmed and I'm putting the silly stuff on tonight like the airbox, carbs, plug wires and so on so I can light the engine off in the morning. 'Roo will be stopping by and if it holds together we'll be headed to 'Vegas. Mike's leaving Sun Diego early Thursday morning to meet up with us in 'Vegas, then we'll mosey on up the 15 toward Colorado and probably stop for the night in Beaver, UT.

On the '79F head: the crankshaft turned while I was positioning the cam chain and the noise was the cam jumping and bending the #4 Intake valve. It only took ten minutes to pull the bent valve, lap another one and install it but I'm getting way too good at this. Then I spent four or five hours trying to make the #4 Intake lobe hit the head again and it just would not do it.

I did finally figure out how it happened. When you install the cams you set 'em up with the timing dots aligned with the arrow on the #3 cam cap and on the Intake cam that puts the #4 lobe at the edge of the valve bucket. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred it works just like in the book. The one time out of a hundred (yeah, I counted 'em all this morning) the cam shifts a hair to the rear of the engine as you tighten the caps down. The Intake lobe touches the head right at the edge of the valve bucket just before it re-centers itself and moves back to it's little groove in the bearing.

"Oh, smile away, horribly now!"

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                        After a 1400 mile trip to north Dakota to retrieve my 16 yr. old daughter I am back in Colorado....whew!!!
                        The forecast for Fri and Sat shows NO rain for those two days...Never can tell in Co. though...temps in the low 80's day...high 50's at night..we'll see.
                        Am looking forward to meeting you guys .....To add a bit of a joke to it I will add this....only 5 more shopping days till my birthday...Sunday...Come celebrate my 55th

Joe
                        Come by my house, and I have a pile of wood I'll give you for your birthday.

CZ

Comment

• Oh yeah!

Columbo's 1st Engine Start Video!

The piston rings now have their initial 'set' and the engine is cooling off so I can check and re-tighten all the bolts. The engine runs really good, idle is smooth and so is power -- it's ready to GO!

-- Scott
                          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                            Columbo's 1st Engine Start Video!

The piston rings now have their initial 'set' and the engine is cooling off so I can check and re-tighten all the bolts. The engine runs really good, idle is smooth and so is power -- it's ready to GO!

Nice to hear you got back out of that rabit hole......with all your extremities intact!
                            Bout a 285mi. run from Beaver to here, so be lookin' for you all roughly 4-5hr. drivin time. A mid-late mornin stop here, and we oughta' be good for the 4-5hr. ride to Canon. Early enough in the day to be a safe ride. Late-late afternoons, dust and early mornins' ridin' to be avoided this part of the country as 'forest rats' rule. Whatever is workin' out time wise for you all, I'll be ready to roll!
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Almost ready

Bonz,
                              Picked up the firewood today,so good to go there,
                              I had not planned on stopping by your place, but if you want me to transport anything (lawnchair??)to the site you will need to call me and give me your address I may be heading there a bit early...Fri 9-10 am...let me know
                              Joe

Comment

• Roo's here and we're taking off to eat lunch, then heading to 'Vegas for the night.

See y'all on Friday!

-- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X