Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
    Bonz,

When we rallied in Colorado back in '09, 300-350 miles per day was about right.

That route you're suggesting sounds good.

We also stopped at the Bar D that rally. That's a great place. Good food and entertainment. I'd be up for that again, if we can figure a route to include it.

Bob
    Unfortunately, that's on the other side of the 'hill'. That would be a 5-6 hr. ride just to 'grub out' at the Bar-D.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Awww...that figures!

Pretty good grub, though...
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
        Awww...that figures!

Pretty good grub, though...
        Aye........always has been for some 46yrs. I can remember, along with their show. BTW, good to hear you all are making the trekk here.

Kudos to ALL, east AND west that are making this trip thru some serious hot temps! Stay hydraded, be safe and ATGATT!
        Last edited by motoman; 07-09-2014, 02:32 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Unfortunately, that's on the other side of the 'hill'. That would be a 5-6 hr. ride just to 'grub out' at the Bar-D.
          .........but, there IS a 'sister' one, so to speak near the Colo.Springs area tho.

Comment

• Hey XJOK, love those Connies, what GS does Bohn have? BMW or Suzuki?

Motoman, you riding your immaculate ST, or the Venturer?

Making me feel like the ZRX would be something different but fun to ride instead of the SG? With my tallness, I do fit on the ZRX better for longer days vs the SG... Hmmm....
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Bohn has a BMW.

I'll be the ONLY one in this southern group riding an XS.

And these 2 want to TRAILER them.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                Hey XJOK, love those Connies, what GS does Bohn have? BMW or Suzuki?

Motoman, you riding your immaculate ST, or the Venturer?

Making me feel like the ZRX would be something different but fun to ride instead of the SG? With my tallness, I do fit on the ZRX better for longer days vs the SG... Hmmm....
                Hmmmm.....ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Comment

• Motoman, undecided still eh?

Fyi, guys when coming in, closest gas to the campground from the west along Hwy 50 is at Cotopaxi (35 miles west of the campground) or coming in from the east closest gas is in Canon City, 8 miles from the campground.

BA, good on you for actually riding an XS to the XS rally. LOL!

Bobber (Roo) what are you gonna ride?

Who of the Cali crew is caravanning?

My cel # is 719-337-8876 in case of need for anyone. Will dispatch the chase bikes and repair team pronto!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Bonz, a Trident would be a closer fit for you, or the older Valk Interstate.

Comment

• Motoman, undecided still eh?

Fyi, guys when coming in, closest gas to the campground from the west along Hwy 50 is at Cotopaxi (35 miles west of the campground) or coming in from the east closest gas is in Canon City, 8 miles from the campground.

BA, good on you for actually riding an XS to the XS rally. LOL!

Bobber (Roo) what are you gonna ride?

Who of the Cali crew is caravanning?

My cel # is 719-337-8876 in case of need for anyone. Will dispatch the chase bike team pronto!

If we don't all end up at the campground on Friday night one way or the other, let's plan on 8:30 am Saturday to meet at the group site at the campground to go over the ride, do intro's, talk about the remaing day ride potential for Sunday, etc. Stands up after that!

Let me know if I am missing any steps to this process.

rdmcguy and CZ, you guys doing well? Wanna meet me at my casa to ride down?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Hey, can y'all give me an address and the name of the camp ground.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Greg,

45000 US HWY 50 WEST | CANON CITY, CO 81212 | 800-460-3246 | RAFTECHO.COM

I've had a temporary setback today: the '79 Special head from "Bush" is no good.

The surface of the head is more concave than flat; the camshaft journals and caps are worn out; some of the valve stems have visible longitudinal scoring from partially seizing up in the guides and the guides themselves are sort of oval shaped instead of round. The ovalness was sort of filled in with carbon along with the scored stems and didn't really show up until I got down and dirty with the head before lapping the valves. Oh well!

I still have a complete -- running! -- '79F engine in "Old Faithful" but it smokes so I can't just drop and swap the engines. I'll pull the head after dinner and take a look at it.

On the bright side, the XJ11 jugs are finally clean and shiny and ready to paint. At the very least I'll get some bitchen' 'new' pistons and cylinders and one of the three '80G heads will work if I have to scavenge parts from all of them.

Last edited by 3Phase; 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM. Reason: Added Campground Address
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Hey, can y'all give me an address and the name of the camp ground.
                            Post #18 has your answer Greg.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Greg,

45000 US HWY 50 WEST | CANON CITY, CO 81212 | 800-460-3246 | RAFTECHO.COM

I've had a temporary setback today: the '79 Special head from "Bush" is no good.

The surface of the head is more concave than flat; the camshaft journals and caps are worn out; some of the valve stems have visible longitudinal scoring from partially seizing up in the guides and the guides themselves are sort of oval shaped instead of round. The ovalness was sort of filled in with carbon along with the scored stems and didn't really show up until I got down and dirty with the head before lapping the valves. Oh well!

I still have a complete -- running! -- '79F engine in "Old Faithful" but it smokes so I can't just drop and swap the engines. I'll pull the head after dinner and take a look at it.

On the bright side, the XJ11 jugs are finally clean and shiny and ready to paint. At the very least I'll get some bitchen' 'new' pistons and cylinders and one of the three '80G heads will work if I have to scavenge parts from all of them.

Well, hope you can work your way back out that 'rabbit hole'......with bunny in hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                                Post #18 has your answer Greg.
                                Thank You. I didn't want to go through 240 posts to try and find it.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X