No announcement yet.

2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meh, the #1 plug was cross-threaded when I got the bike. I cleaned up the threads and they lasted for a good long while but it started to weep on the Pike's Peak run. There wasn't enough aluminum left in the threads so it kept coming loose and I'd tighten it again until it finally died.

Sorry to burst that beautiful bubble, John but not a redhead -- but totally not a bad idea either! I did say there was a lady stranded at the Chevron so they weren't those kind of adventures: she's a very proud mom from Washington that was on her way to 'Vegas to surprise her 14 year old son at his first game in a five-day basketball tournament when her car overheated. One of her friends in 'Vegas let the cat out of the bag and spoiled the surprise but he was totally happy to see his mom anyway! Yes, we did make it to the game but there was a lot of stuff that happened and we had a blast getting through one obstacle and adversity after another!

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• That name was for Howard's bike not yours Scott!

But you sure got friendly fast with Miss Chevron huh?

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Hey, Scott...
        I guess you didn't get to check out Bryce Canyon or the Escalante on your way back?
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Some of the shots I took...

CaptonZap - Jerry

Bonz-

Rdmcguy- Joe, and "El Torro"

Bohn's BMW GS-

Rdmcguy- Joe's standard w/ it's now infamous "drop-off Kerker"...

The gang...

My Concours 14-

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Bishop's Castle-

Gas stop-

Soccer4m- Mike and his Maxim...

Behind me on the ride...

Howard, the giant...surveying his kingdom...

Me and my Connie...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Howard, kneeling next to his sweet Special...

(Before I met Howard, I thought XSMiles- Miles Baker was the only guy that could make an XS11 look like a mini bike...
              But I was wrong! Lol...

Motoman and 3Phase discussing the XS11 theology at Bishop's Castle...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I also wanted to share this little story that happened to us on the way to Bishop's Castle...

I had just installed a new TomTom Rider gps before leaving for the rally, and for a while, it worked perfectly with my Iphone5S and my G9.

Then, we left for this day ride, and my gps decided to quit working... just as Joe started trying to reach my by phone to tell me his Kerker had fallen off.

Bohn and I were intercommed, I was in the second position, and he was next to the last position...Joe being behind him.

I thought, good...this way if anybody gets separated or has a problem, we got it covered...

But, somehow Bohn moved up a slot in the group, and Joe's Kerker fell off... somewhere. That was what I later found funny... When Joe said "I thought it began to sound a little different, but I had earplugs in, and wasn't sure."

LOL!!!

So, he tried to call me, and my stupid new gps screwed up, and I couldn't answer him. After a bit, I managed to turn everything off, then turned just the phone and the G9 back on, and was able to answer him the next time he called.

He tried to explain to me where he was, and that he was going back to search for the Kerker, but wanted to know which way he needed to turn to catch up to the group. I misunderstood where he was, and told him to "turn right".

After I got off the phone with Joe, Howard told me he needed to turn left, and I had told him wrong...

Well, he finally figured it out, found the missing Kerker, and joined us for lunch.

But all I heard for the rest of the rally was..."Hey Bob...turn right!"

Even Howard joined in, telling me how we were going back on the last leg of the ride, saying we were going to take "3 right turns..."

I replied..."hey...that's a circle!"

Boy...ya make one tiny mistake....and ya never hear the end of it...
                Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Oh...
                  and I vote for Joe's XS11 "El Torro" as the winner of the "Coolest XS11" of the rally award.

For those of you who haven't had the chance to see this creature in person...you've missed out!

It's eyes glow in the dark...(headlights)
                  It's horn sounds like an angry bull...
                  Smoke rolls out of it's nostrils...(Co2 and flour...)
                  It's tail swishes back and forth...
                  And...caution...don't follow too closely... It spews this dark substance out it's rear pipe...(brownie mix!)

And, the absolute scariest part of all... The cracked up rear tire!! Scarey!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Was looking forward to, and was DEFINITELY worth the trip to have met Bob(XJOK2play) and Bohn........a class act for sure!
                    Found out early on, when I parked near Bohn's dual-sport Beemer, the bugs magicly dissapeared from my windshield upon return.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Even Howard joined in, telling me how we were going back on the last leg of the ride, saying we were going to take "3 right turns..."

XJOK2PLAY,therin' lies the 'failure to communicate'................three rights make a square........
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Even Howard joined in, telling me how we were going back on the last leg of the ride, saying we were going to take "3 right turns..."

XJOK2PLAY,therin' lies the 'failure to communicate'................three rights make a square........
                        ...unless you're riding in curvy Colorado. But everywhere else, you're right!
                        Hahaha...

To quote Clint Eastwood, "Right turn, Clyde."

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Was looking forward to, and was DEFINITELY worth the trip to have met Bob(XJOK2play) and Bohn........a class act for sure!
                          Found out early on, when I parked near Bohn's dual-sport Beemer, the bugs magicly dissapeared from my windshield upon return.
                          The bugs are repelled by all the Plexus on his windscreen.
                          It's like "Off".

Actually, that's Bohn. He's a great guy who thinks of others first.
                          It's not the first time I've seen him clean others screens at stops.
                          He's thoughtful like that.

Bohn's the best, and a blast to travel with.
                          He's travelled so much, he's really got it down.
                          He walks faster than I jog. He goes to crossfit, and, for 66, is in good shape.
                          He's very organized, which really helps with time.
                          He's got a great truck and trailer, and the trailer is setup sweet for hauling 2 bikes. With all the rain we hit on the way up, and the heat on the way back, it sure made it a more pleasant trip.

When I unloaded my bike in Salina, Ks. to head south home, it was 102, heat index of 112. 4 hours was rough, but 12 would have been rougher!

Big thanks to Bohn.
                          Miles of smiles when ya ride with Bohn. His wit cracks me up.
                          He inspires me to be better. He's a great friend, and I'm fortunate to be his friend.
                          Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I always try to park next to Bohn.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Bonz' bike name: sure, John, sure!

Yes, I got to know Miss Chevron fairly well on the trip down to Las Vegas along with a bunch of frantic text messages, phone calls and a fairly thorough background check by her highly concerned mother, friends, and her brother (he hopped on a jet and flew to 'Vegas the instant he heard what happened to his little sister's car and how she was getting to the game) so git your mind out'a the gutter and let mine roll by!

Nope, no side trips this time either, Bob except for dropping off a dead car at a shop, then somehow managing to find an open U-Haul center to return the car dolly pretty much just in time to watch a basketball game before getting back on the road. Next time I'll try to catch some sights but I had a total blast this time!

-- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Rally Time

Great Rally for those at Colorado this year and for those who didnt make it, try to next time it comes up there. Kudos to Howard, Scott, Motoman, Mike, Roo, Jerry,Bob, Bohn,Joe... All you guys. WHo would ever believe that castle we saw was built by one guy,,,,creative insanity Now its time to get the bikes cleaned up and get ready for work and dreaming about the next rally. Ride safe and lucky...........Mike in Sun Diego
                                mike
                                1982 xj1100 maxim
                                1981 venture bagger
                                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                                1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                                X