No announcement yet.

2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang, bummer Scott! Thought Colombo was coming around somewhat, but you did everything possible and in the realm of mortalism to get and keep it going. Good job on that!

Joe, I don't know two strokes much, so 6.7:1 may be the equivalent of a higher compression 4 stroke. Even at that, CR is part of what defines the gas you need and then combustion chamber shape and elevation the bike runs at, etc enter in.

My V-Strom 1000 had an 11.3:1 CR and only called for regular gas. My Honda ST1300 had a 10.8:1 CR and needed premium based on manufacturers recommendation.

With the ZRX1200, it has a 10.0:1 CR and runs on the Kawasaki recommended regular gas without a hitch.

The XS is a 9.0:1 CR, so running premium in it is spending more for as than a person needs to, unless engine mods have been done that call for higher octane.

It's kinda funny that folks get bent out of shape over what oil to use in the engine or middle/final drive, and when someone uses oil outside what Yamaha recomended 35+ years ago, the mantra comes back time and time again "Yamaha knows best or they wouldn't have spec'd that weight oil".

Well folks, Yamaha didn't recommend premium for their bike...
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Well folks, Yamaha didn't recommend premium for their bike...
      All true. There is more than just compression to take into consideration. There's also combustion chamber design and ignition timing. In the case of the XS1100, you can get away with running more advance by using higher octane fuel.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

• Putting a timing advance rotor on many bikes will wake up the throttle response, I don't read a lot about altering base timing on the XS for more initial advance, or maybe I don't hang out in those threads.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          Damn that is tough Scott. At least he held up l9ng enough to rally.

Painful, time consuming and expensive to start over.

What is suspect besides old rings?

John
          Weren't old rings(used jugs, pistons, rings off totaled XJ that had a recent rebuild before its demise) Broken ring suspect in #4 havin' the lowest compression, substantually lower than rest).
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• 13 to 1 compression on the 1300 STeeds Howard.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Not correct... I owned one and it is 10.8:1. Look it up...

That is why I mentioned it, because my V Strom 1000 was a half point higher and needed regular vs the ST1300 needing premium.

Shows that compression ratio is not all that determines octane requirement, but the combustion chamber shape, spark plug placement, timing set up, etc play a big part as well.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• right left right left right left.....Right

xjoktoplay,I tried to pm you with this but it says name not found??
                I'm doing something wrong.
                I can't help myself here
                I have decided that it is better that you are right versus left...
                I would have caught at some point.the planet is only about 30,000 miles around at this latitude...hahaha
                78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• It's XJOK2PLAY... Try that.

Also, he texted and said his Internet line got cut by digging in his area and can't access the forum, at least earlier this week that was the case.
                  Last edited by Bonz; 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• corection

Should have said
                    Would have caught UP at some point.....
                    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Thanks

Thanks Bonz that explains it...
                      Should have been CORRECTION and CAUGHT UP,XJOK2PLAY...
                      I better go back to bed and try again later..
                      Maybe my 600 mile drive to Nebraska and aggressive dirtbike ride yesterday took something out of me?...Joe

Comment

• Home! Home Again! I like to be here when I can!

Glad to see everyone's home and having fun; just made it home myself and of course I had an adventure or three on the way home too!

Roo and I stopped for fuel in Beaver, UT. and Columbo blew out the #1 spark plug. A bummer indeed!

I put in one of those Power Built inserts that come with a self-tapping tool but the tap had metal flash left in the threads that for some stupid reason I thought was black paint. Instead of cutting and tapping an oversize hole for the insert it chewed the freakin' spark plug hole to shreds and the insert was only able to grab the top two or three threads.

The bike still ran but I didn't trust it so we went to the local restaurant, Arshel's, for dinner, then got another room at the the Butch Cassidy Inn for the night. In the morning we went to the Chevron to rent a U-Haul but the guy was swamped and had to go pick up a tow from the freeway so we killed some time going to the hardware store for some ratchet straps, then went back to the Chevron.

There was a lady stranded at the Chevron, the tow from the freeway, and that's where the real adventure began but I have to return the truck to U-Haul so that's a tale for another day and another time.

-- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Dang, Colombo musta' gained some serious compression finally to blow out a plug! . Bummer on that.

Need a good name for my 80SG, seems to have a ladylike aura. Nicknames are much better when bestowed by others than chosen by the owner... Ideas?

Came home with a 43.2 mpg average, with a low fill up of 40.16mpg after riding up and down pikes peak, and a high of 45.1 and 45.6 mpg on the first day for two fill ups. Didn't use any oil that I can tell.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Dirty Redhead.

Cuz we all imagine ourselves riding one.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                              xjoktoplay,I tried to pm you with this but it says name not found??
                              I'm doing something wrong.
                              I can't help myself here
                              I have decided that it is better that you are right versus left...
                              I would have caught at some point.the planet is only about 30,000 miles around at this latitude...hahaha
                              http://www.xs11.com/forum/member.php?u=14203
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Hi Gang,
                                I just got my phone lines repaired and back on, here at the apartment.
                                Got home from work a bit ago, and managed to get pics loaded to PB.

Gotta go into Tulsa now for dinner w/ the GF and her parents who are in town from Colorado.

I'll try to write a bit, and post what I took when I get home tonight.

Bohn and I had a great trip, enjoyed getting to meet up and ride with you all!

Howard, you did an excellent job leading and planning. Congrats on a successful job well done! We appreciate all you did.

Scott, sorry to hear she gave up the ghost before you could get back! That stinks, man. Sure enjoyed talking with you, Motoman, Mike, Roo, Jerry... All you guys.

Oh... Howard, I gotta say... Even though you may be 6'11" here on the ground, Bohn and I thought you looked pretty short from the helicopter...
                                Hehehehehehe!

Gotta jet for now. Be back on later.
                                Bob
                                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                                X