2014 Colorado Rally Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't know

I didn't know I only have 10 minutes to type and post things..
    In no particular order,,
    3 phase,I find it interesting that you and I discussed the #1 plugs propensity to strip,hopeI didn't jinx you.
    Easy for me to say but maybe it's better to have had that happen on the way home versus on the way or at the rally,That is one of the reasons I brought a spare bike to the rally,We could have put your back tire on El Toro if needed.
    Glad to have ridden and you made it home at least with your bike in one piece.
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Part two

On the subject of El Toros rear tire...
      Bohn saw it and offered to change it for me...
      I just completed that along with back brakes that no longer drag.
      It confirms what some of the other guys have said about his personality.
      Thoughtful...A term I would use to describe him would be Gentleman farmer,
      (even though he never was)I mean that in the most complimentary way!!!!
      Was pleased to meet and ride with you...
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• hext

And then there is Roo,
        Absolutely HAD to ride El Toro..Horrible back tire and all ...not to mention the headlights that are really only for show...It was dusk.
        Combine that with the fact that his clutch overheated on the way up Pikes Peak.
        Don't think it matters to him too much about those small...lol details.
        As long as he is riding something....
        As I believe the Englanders like to say...;GOOD ON YA"

Comment

• El Toro video ...Coming soon

Capton Zap,
          I WILL get a video of El Toro displaying ALL of his features .
          I think I want to add a pair of dangling nads and some red filters on his eyes for when he gets riled,..Great riding with you as well

Comment

• Planner leader extrordanaire

Bonz,Thanks again for all,
            Off the top of my head maybe SADIE would be a good name for your bike.
            Old fashioned,loyal pardon this next word....sweet ...old friend that never lets you down...

Comment

• Pics. at elevation

Soccer4me,
              Enjoyed the conversations we had about bikes and other subjects...
              (don't know if you want your field of endeavor disclosed)
              I am glad the pic. I took of you descending Pikes Pike came out so well,It wasn't easy to pass you turn around and take the shot on the fly..
              Hope to ride with you again.

Comment

• Mid Colorado connection

Moto man,I would like to think that you were instrumental in the California crew joining us for the rally,leading them in and such.
                Also talking about dirtbiking and motercycles in general...I will make it out to G.J. later this season we'll do the street and dirt thing.

Comment

• Last but not least...

xjok2play...
                  I find it amusing that your page here on channel 11 has the key phrase from Cool Hand Luke "What we have here is a failure to communicate........Turn right....Those kind of things are what us at the rally share as an inside joke even though everbody now knows.
                  You can be sure that my baffle will never fall off again...currently 1 lock washer 2 nuts locked together soon to have some type of lanyard affixed to rear peg area...
                  The XS gods were on my side that day not only in locating the baffle but in it only having minor scuffs....
                  I will have to think long and hard about ear plugs and bringing up the rear
                  from this point forward....
                  THanks again guys

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                    Moto man,I would like to think that you were instrumental in the California crew joining us for the rally,leading them in and such.
                    Also talking about dirtbiking and motercycles in general...I will make it out to G.J. later this season we'll do the street and dirt thing.
                    Haven't even unloaded bike yet......still sittin' like I road it in will get back to the 'bike thing' after daughters wedding first of month. End of Aug., SWMBO and I are caging it to Columbus,GA. for mother-inlaws B-day.
                    90 and still drives her Camary to grocery store and church 3 times a wk..........can only hope I'm still upright by then.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Technical Difficulties

I haven't been able to continue the postmortem on Columbo. There was an minor emergency that I've been dealing with all day now and decided to take a break.

Here are a few pictures from the rally. Flickr's TOS requires a linkback for each picture posted on an external site so click on any image to get to the rest of the photos in a slide show and to see larger images:

rdmcguy and Bonz: 'nuff said!

DSC00024 by Scott_Ci, on Flickr

600 miles after leaving Beaver, Utah, with Columbo in the back of the U-Haul truck every single the strap was still tight as a bow string when I arrived home in Simi Valley.

DSC00034 by Scott_Ci, on Flickr

"Welcome home from the rally! Now fix the toilet because it punched through the floor!"

Termites neatly removed the wax gasket and ate the floor and the joists out from under the toilet to get water. The house was fumigated but the damage was hidden and had already been done.

DSC00039 by Scott_Ci, on Flickr

"Minor Technicality!"

-- Scott
                      _____
                      ♬
                      2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                      ♬

Comment

• Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                        Great Rally for those at Colorado this year and for those who didnt make it, try to next time it comes up there. Kudos to Howard, Scott, Motoman, Mike, Roo, Jerry,Bob, Bohn,Joe... All you guys. WHo would ever believe that castle we saw was built by one guy,,,,creative insanity Now its time to get the bikes cleaned up and get ready for work and dreaming about the next rally. Ride safe and lucky...........Mike in Sun Diego
                        Hey Mike!

Bohn Googled some bio on that guy, and found that he has no insurance whatsoever on that place. Sounds like he's been at war with the DOT and the county for years...and won.

After we got back to our room, Bohn told me his professional engineering opinion of the structure... He said, "Bob, there's no way he would have ever been issued a building permit for such a structure, and NO WAY it would have passed inspections!"
                        Don't know if he told you what he used to do for a living before he retired, but he was a mining engineer for many years.

I stayed outside talking with 3Phase and Motoman, and didn't see the inside.
                        Bohn told me the rock he used was huge, but the angle and stick iron structure was pretty small.

With as many people that visit and climb all over that thing, I can't believe he has no liability insurance. Bohn figured he probably is broke, and it wouldn't matter! Lol...

Bishop's Castle is 160' tall. He must have had an amazing crane setup to get those heavy stones hoisted that high by himself. Pretty cool.

Oh, thanks again for all the map advice. I sure hope to put it to good use some day soon. Riding PCH-1 is definitely high on my bucket list.
                        Bob
                        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-26-2014, 06:34 PM.
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Dang, Scott!
                          What was it Casey Kasum used to say?
                          "And the hits just keep on comin'!"

I thought stuff like this only happened to me.......

Hang in there, Man...it's gotta get better soon!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Bad luck

If that would have been me ....metal termites would have eaten the pipes as well..The kind of luck Scott has had lately(repeating an earlier message)
                            If it were raining vaginas,He would catch one with a dick stuck in it....
                            Hang tough

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                              xjok2play...
                              I find it amusing that your page here on channel 11 has the key phrase from Cool Hand Luke "What we have here is a failure to communicate........Turn right....Those kind of things are what us at the rally share as an inside joke even though everbody now knows.
                              Well, what can I say, Joe?
                              I wanted my sig to be an accurate expression of "me"...
                              Just didn't realize it would end up as prophecy... Lol!

Do 3 lefts equal 1 right?
                              Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                                Well, what can I say, Joe?
                                I wanted my sig to be an accurate expression of "me"...
                                Just didn't realize it would end up as prophecy... Lol!

Do 3 lefts equal 1 right?
                                Bob
                                Only on an XS11...............won't work on a Connie.
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X