XS Southeast 2016 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
    Agreed! How about consecutive hours off saddle time? I expect about 12 barring real issue...
    Once upon as time I could ride all day and most of the night, then get up after a couple of hours and do it all over again.

Not so much any more.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Hello all,

New here. Plan on attending my first rally with Bigfoot on me-ole-magna. He brags on you guys frequently and I'm looking forward to meeting.

Comment

• Scott,
        Glad to hear your bike's about ready. Way ta go, bro!

I hope you have a great ride as you trek across the country. Once ya get there, it'll be worth it. I just don't envy you having to make the ride home, afterwards though! That's always the hard part for me.

I stopped in at CycleGear in Tulsa today to check out their sale.
        While there, I overheard this older guy talking to a salesman, saying he was headed to Arkansas. We got to talking, and he tells me he had decided last year to quit riding because he thought he was "too old". But after being without a bike for a year, and a brother that just got back from a Colorado trip sharing stories and pictures, he had to have another one.
        He bought a used 2014 BMW RT 1200, 2400 miles, for $13k... almost 1/2 price of a new one.
        I asked him just how old he was... he said 78!
        I said, "That's cool! Keep riding as long as your health allows you too!"

I know how many serious health problems you're dealing with, Scott.
        Hang in there, don't push yourself too hard, stay safe, and remember...
        It's all about the journey, not necessarily the destination.

Look forward to hearing stories and seeing pics!
        Safe journey, my friend. Ride safe!
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by IMRICH View Post
          Hello all,

New here. Plan on attending my first rally with Bigfoot on me-ole-magna. He brags on you guys frequently and I'm looking forward to meeting.
          Welcome!
          Maybe I'll get to meet ya and ride with ya someday soon!
          Harry's a good man, and a good friend. He can flat ride an 11, too.
          We've rode a lotta miles together, over the years. I always enjoy riding with him.

You guys take care, have a safe journey, and keep us posted about your trip.
          Post some pictures, if you can.
          Hope you have a great trip. Sorry I can't make this one with you guys.
          Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            Thanks, Mike, this should be fun if I don't run out of gas somewhere in Texas or Nood Mexico.

I forgot to check and find out if there's anything like the long stretch out of Flagstaff through the Indian Reservation with no gas stations. I almost had to walk.
            Hey Scott,

You/WE might run out of gas in Robbinsville??? I was talking to the hardware store owner, she said her son in Atlanta said that due to problems with the gas/fuel supply lines in Alabama or such that they were experiencing a gas shortage, only allowing folks to get $10.00 worth at a time??

SO....JEFF, any Truth to this rumor about the gas situation down there???? I remember several years ago after a hurricane that we had trouble finding gas a times!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Scott,
              I personally know there are some areas in NM and Az that can be around 200 miles between gas stations. Unless you got that Maxim tuned perfectly to around 40 mpg, and don't buck headwinds, it'll be farther than that Maxim's range.
              (Ask Trbig, sometime.) 5.1 gallons...

Even carrying a 1 gl. can of extra fuel may not be enough, if you only average low 30's.

Cody solved it on 'Zilla by adding a rear mounted fuel cell, electric pump and switch, and plumbing it back to the petcock. When he'd get low, he'd turn the petcock, flip the switch, and transfer to the main tank...all without stopping.
              Whalah...another full tank of fuel. This gave him between 350-400 miles of range. Also helped him cut his fuel stops down, increasing the number of miles per day he could make.
              Worked great.

Sounds like extra fuel will be a big desireable on this trip, even once you get there.
              Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Brilliant! Just one more thing to add before I take off in the morning. Now where did I leave that pump and fuel cell. I had to hacksaw that hook off the swing arm, the angle grinder was too worn and I don't have any more wheels.

I guess I'll grab the extra gas can and find somewhere to put the stupid thing. This just keeps getting better and better, we might not have gas at the rally either!
                -- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• thers no shotage of fuel here in NC...it is contrived to raise the price...IMHO...so we just have to pay more but i dont see nor have i heard of anyone running out of fuel supplies..its all BULLSHAT!!! Overnight the price went up 10 cents/gal...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• I'm in TN now, at the XS650 rally. I saw a few bags over some pump handles. One station was out of premium. There doesn't appear to be a fuel issue. We had fuel issues at the 2008 rally. See the pics on the FB page.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

• Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                      Hey Scott,

You/WE might run out of gas in Robbinsville??? I was talking to the hardware store owner, she said her son in Atlanta said that due to problems with the gas/fuel supply lines in Alabama or such that they were experiencing a gas shortage, only allowing folks to get $10.00 worth at a time??

SO....JEFF, any Truth to this rumor about the gas situation down there???? I remember several years ago after a hurricane that we had trouble finding gas a times!

T.C.
                      On Friday evening I rode my XS11 down to the Tank Farm on the Colonial Pipeline. There are three tank farms in Atlanta (that I know of fed off the Colonial). NE side of town, West side of town and the Airport. I went to NE and trucks were rolling. Problem is "catching up" with deliveries if they get out of sequence in delivery. Thats what happened after the hurricane. Took a week plus for the tanker trucks to make fuel drops at ALL the stations.

With interrupted pipeline flows with one line instead of two the "Emergency" was more of a legal maneuver to waive the strict trucking rules and get the winter blend gas released early.

As for any problems at gas stations showing up, well I passed maybe 200 stations yesterday in GA & NC and didn't see any problems so far. Once out of the Atlanta Metro EPA zone gas was $2.09 to $2.29 and diesel $2.29 in case anybody wants to fill with diesel. Problem could be a delivery problem up in the mountains unless the tanker trucks get the metro areas (quick short haul loads) caught up by next weekend. When I get home this afternoon I go check out the tank farm again and talk with some tanker drivers. That 2nd Pipeline should be repaired flowing soon if not already.

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffH; 09-18-2016, 05:57 AM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Hey Scott,

T.C.
                        On Friday evening I rode my XS11 down to the Tank Farm on the Colonial Pipeline. There are three tank farms in Atlanta (that I know of fed off the Colonial). NE side of town, West side of town and the Airport. I went to NE and trucks were rolling. Problem is "catching up" with deliveries if they get out of sequence in delivery. Thats what happened after the hurricane. Took a week plus for the tanker trucks to make fuel drops at ALL the stations.

With interrupted pipeline flows with one line instead of two the "Emergency" was more of a legal maneuver to waive the strict trucking rules and get the winter blend gas released early.

As for any problems at gas stations showing up, well I passed maybe 200 stations yesterday and didn't see any problems so far. Once out of the Atlanta Metro EPA zone gas was $2.09 to $2.29 and diesel $2.29 in case anybody wants to fill with diesel. Problem could be a delivery problem up in the mountains unless the tanker trucks get the metro areas (quick short haul loads) caught up by next weekend. Plus, it probably takes a few days to get fuel in the line from Houston to Atlanta and points beyond.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Thanks, Max, Marty, and Jeff, you don't have to tell me twice, and a special thanks to Soccer Mike in Sun Diego for loaning me his spare XJ 10M TCI for the trip.!

I'll bring a small spare can just in case but now it's time to finish packing and get on the road... where in blue blazes am I going to stash a gas can when I have soft bags and no real luggage rack, just what looks like a plastic shelf and ell-brackets screwed onto the aluminum backrest to carry a sammich and napkins on a day trip. I may have to delete the duffel bag or some of its contents so I can carry an extra ration of flaming death a few inches behind my head for a few thousand miles.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

• Middle drive noise and not from the '850 parts I replaced.

That's it, no more, I'm done.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Middle drive noise and not from the '850 parts I replaced.

That's it, no more, I'm done.
                              Does that mean you're not going?

That sux!

I wasn't sure what route you were planning to take, and most guys hate a superslab...
                              But I-40 has plenty of stations, and gets you across the country the fastest.
                              Just not fun, and little scenery...

I hope your middle drive prob isn't a show stopper...
                              But that would sure suck if it failed on the trip!
                              But, I know I don't have to tell ya about that...

That's one thing that I always hated about doing a bunch of work to a vehicle and then putting out on the road without putting on some local miles to test it's roadworthiness. Kinda risky...

Wish we lived closer to one another. I'd help ya out... somehow.
                              Bummer.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I'm not going, that's what it means.

Remember I haven't actually been able to ride this bike except to the gas station and then home from the dealer where the brakes locked up.

I've never heard or felt this particular problem before but from my one experience with a slammed 2nd gear and descriptions in forum posts I think it's the infamous XJ11 1st gear slip. Get on the throttle and, "BANG!" "BANG!" "BANG!" and get off the throttle and head back to the garage.

Edit: I got to ride it to the welder's and back but I was nice to it and didn't really jump on it.

Yes, of course I have several entire transmissions and solo gear sets but they're not going in today, they're not going in tomorrow, and they're not going in any time soon, really.
                                Last edited by 3Phase; 09-18-2016, 08:51 AM.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X