XS Southeast 2016 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this on another site

A leak has caused the closure of a crucial pipeline that carries gasoline to the eastern United States, a disruption that threatens to drive up prices and leave service stations without fuel to sell.

Related

A section of the Colonial Pipeline, which runs from Houston to New York, has been closed since Sept. 9 after a spill of roughly 6,000 barrels of gasoline was discovered in rural Shelby County, Ala.

The major pipeline, one pipe of which has been severed, provides gasoline for an estimated 50 million people on the East Coast each day, according to company estimates.

The pipeline's operator has said full service will not be restored until at least next week. The closure has set off an industry-wide scramble as suppliers seek alternative ways to transport gasoline to the East Coast.

Already, ships have been dispatched to carry fuel from Texas to New York as part of the effort.

The pipeline operator said that based on its current projections, parts of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina will be the first markets to suffer potential disruptions in supply.

The governors of Alabama and Georgia have already declared states of emergency. And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has sought to ease supply shortages by relaxing limits on the blend of gasoline that can be used across 18 counties in Georgia and Tennessee.

Patrick DeHaan, an analyst at GasBuddy.com, said that over the next week, gas prices could spike by as much as 15 cents per gallon in Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia, and by as much as 20 cents per gallon in South Carolina.

Some service stations could run out entirely, he added.

Mansfield Oil, a fuel distributor, has warned its customers to take fuel savings measures and to place their orders early. The company said the supply of gasoline is currently very thin along the closed pipeline, and that it was trucking in supplies from the coast to meet demand
    Tom
    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• I think I will be putting on my fuel cell this trip!
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• These guys never give up in their effort to raise gas prices. Maybe "they" think that we will believe anything we are told? Funny how any little obstacle they encounter makes the price go up right away. "Oh no"! "We're going to run out of gas". "There isn't going to be anymore". "What are we going to do"?

Wonder what answer we would get if we asked our boss for a raise when gas prices went up.

Pipe line problem, huh? How original. How about this one - "there is a terrible storm in the Gulf and we have to raise gas prices"?
        Aren't there terrible storms in the Gulf all the time? I currently am NOT shaking in my boots.
        Last edited by MPittma100; 09-16-2016, 03:54 PM.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Almost ready!

My pipe dream about getting everything ready by today for the rally, has fallen a bit short of the mark. Oh well, so much for goofing off and riding this weekend! On a positive note, Michael "Mercury" Morse at Vintage Brake set me up with some outstanding brake pads for the front of my 79F. I finally have real brakes! I wanted to keep it as stock as possible, so I started with the pads before changing the master cylinder, I'm not going to bother, these pads are great. If anyone has questions or concerns about their brakes, this IS the go to guy. Prompt, concise and detailed responses to emails, and has no problem speaking with you if you call. I spoke with him a couple days ago about the sorry excuse for brakes on my 75 KZ900. Got the pads and shoes, yes shoes for you younger guys, for the rear today. I am the worlds worst critic, but this guy impressed me.

Has anyone mentioned any numbers for the expected attendance? I will be there even if only Marty and Mike showed up. Two more outstanding people I have had the privilege of meeting through this site.

This place rocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2manybikes View Post
            , Michael "Mercury" Morse at Vintage Brake set me up with some outstanding brake pads for the front of my 79F. I finally have real brakes! I wanted to keep it as stock as possible, so I started with the pads before changing the master cylinder, I'm not going to bother, these pads are great. If anyone has questions or concerns about their brakes, this IS the go to guy. Prompt, concise and detailed responses to emails, and has no problem speaking with you if you call. .......... but this guy impressed me.

Has anyone mentioned any numbers for the expected attendance? I will be there even if only Marty and Mike showed up. Two more outstanding people I have had the privilege of meeting through this site.
            Yes, Michael Morse is a brake expert and definitely knows what he is talking about. I bought brake master & rotors from him.

Attendance: that's the problem with planning this, I don't know. However, I did Order 105 shirts (not all attend) and some get 2 shirts. I have Saturday Lunch in Brevard setup for 75 people. Also, Iron Horse is about sold out. Not sure about the Tuskegee Motel. So I expect a good sized group for this 15th Annual XSSE. More than last year. Maybe 20 to 25 more. We don't know exactly who all is coming till they show up.

btw: Mike P will be up there Wed hauling the shirts and banners. Marty & I will ride up Fri AM with Don, Kurt, Nancy, Karl & maybe Brent & hopefully Scott.

See ya at the I-H,
            Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Attendance

Jeff, thanks for your reply. Rhonda and I will be there Friday morning. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and posing questions to the experts in person. The rally is part of a long (years) overdue real vacation. In fact my trusty sidekick has no clue where we are going, or what we will be doing. She is just glad to be getting out of Dodge! The fact that some of the ponies are going with us will be no surprise!

Comment

• What's for dinner

Anyone heard from the IH about menu selections yet?

Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post

Phil
                  I haven't gotten anything yet Phil, but you've got your priorities straight!!

Comment

Phil
                    Iron Horse will email us menu's likely on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. They have had the Triumph Rat Pack up there for the whole week so they have been busy-busy. As usual, once they get into Tue they lock in the weekend menus and then get them emailed. So got to wait another 4 or 5 days to see what choices we will have this year.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by mastan View Post
                      I haven't gotten anything yet Phil, but you've got your priorities straight!!
                      Note to self: Remember to pick up BEER

Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by 2manybikes View Post
                        Jeff, thanks for your reply. Rhonda and I will be there Friday morning. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and posing questions to the experts in person. The rally is part of a long (years) overdue real vacation. In fact my trusty sidekick has no clue where we are going, or what we will be doing. She is just glad to be getting out of Dodge! The fact that some of the ponies are going with us will be no surprise!
                        Hi Jack,

Glad you, Rhonda, and the ponies decided to come this year. Fun to be had by all. Dodge can be kind of dreary this time of year.

1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Note to self: Remember to pick up BEER

Phil
                          Oooohhh, yeeeah!
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                            Oooohhh, yeeeah!
                            Any chance there are community coolers? I'm not hauling a 50 gallon ice chest from Wisconsin!
                            79 F

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
                              Any chance there are community coolers? I'm not hauling a 50 gallon ice chest from Wisconsin!
                              If you rented a room, it comes with a cooler. If you're camping, I believe you can rent a cooler.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

• I will throw one in the back of the truck that you can use Dan.
                                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                                '82 XJ1100
                                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                                X