X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost?

Originally posted by mastan View Post
    What could go wrong?
    Little do most people know, but if MaximPhil gets lost, it may not be an accident?
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
      I decided to try to choose the best "long away around" last year, considering I had a trailer.

Choices for folks coming down I75:
      (1) The Dragon
      (2) Cherohala Skyway
      (3) 441 through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge
      (4) Route 40 by Asheville

I tried (3)- it was NG because of Pigeon Forge, if noting else. Stop and go tourist trap. Drive was just a curvy as the Dragon in spots.

So, this year I am considering the Route 40 or Cherohala Skyway.

Anybody have any better ideas?
      Coming from California, I don't recommend going to Asheville. It's too far in the wrong direction and I40 traffic can be a nightmare.

Scott, come through the Dragon. Just come earlier. There's really no better way.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        I'd take the Cherohala... I40 is boring...
        +1 for Cherohala wonderful road. I had a good ride over Gatlinburg a few years ago but getting through Pigeon Forge can be bitch.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by Huron52 View Post
          I would love to help out with a route there but I am following MaximPhil. Where he goes I go.... LOL

P.S. I hope he doesn't get lost
          Hi Tom,
          I appreciate your confidence in my GPS I have managed to find my way the last few years so we should be OK.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            Coming from California, I don't recommend going to Asheville. It's too far in the wrong direction and I40 traffic can be a nightmare.

Scott, come through the Dragon. Just come earlier. There's really no better way.
            Marty, I was thinking (I know!) about meeting up with Jeff and riding up to the Lodge wth y'all on Friday. That should take care of any pesky Dragon-y detours!
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

• Scott,
              LOL!! You crack me up, dude! Hahaha...

Sounds like as long as you know the destination address, don't plan on any route deviations it tells you, and you punch in that address in "Where To", you'll get there fine with the new 660. Then, if you go to the menu, and find where you key in your home address, then when you get ready to reverse the trip, you hit the "Home" button, and it'll get you home... Lol...

But seriously, after they stopped making the Zumo 550's, they were the last units that allowed the user to plan a route IN THE GPS by using Viapoints.
              Say, like if along the way, in your motel room, you're riding with others and they wanna change the planned route for the next day, on a 550 you simply set new "viapoints" for the route changes, and it easily adds the changes and makes a new route.

But, with a 660, you load "Basecamp" software on your home computer or say a tablet you'll take on your trip with you. You plan your route in that software, then download it to the 660. Most are not big fans of Basecamp, as it's not very "user friendly".

But, if you have the spare time to study the software steps and familiarize yourself with it, it'll make more sense to you, and it works.
              But... it's definitely not plug and play, and when I started looking at it after being a previous generation Garmin user, I said no way. Viapoint method is far more intuitive and easy to use, at least for me.

Only problem I see... you're not gonna have enough time to study up before your trip, since you're working on your bike...
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• What frak'ing genius came up with a GPS that you can't change en-route without a separate app and a computer? It must have been one of those out-sourced/off-shored/Congressionally de-funded engineering teams because that'd be perfect for cruise missiles or artillery rounds but not much else.

Well, I got a new Windows 10 Lumia 950 XL pseudo-smart phone from the Microsoft Store and one of those 99-cent Trek 2 / ZTE K88 Android tablets from AT&T so I'll try to figure it out.

In the meantime I've hit an expensive lull.
                -- Scott
                _____
                ♬
                2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                ♬

Comment

• Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  Great news and congratulations! If necessary, you still have the Harley, right?
                  Yes, I do. It has about 120K miles on it and I'm starting to worry that I'll have problems on a long ride. I'd rather take the XS which, after the complete overhaul, is like new.

I've never had a major problem with the Harley. All little stuff. It is a little sluggish now (not bad) but still rides great. I've always used synthetics and that probably helped.

So much for Harley's being poorly made. ;-)
                  1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                  2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• So reading the posts here made me realize our route takes us down us129 at early evening after an 11 hour ride. I'd rather not end the rally before it starts, so for those familiar with the area, Any suggestions on a healthy approach from the Louisville area? Looks like super slab all the way until that point and we'll need to plan from there. Route will be in a zumo so. A few backroads won't be a monkey wrench.
                    79 F

Comment

• Originally posted by RichV View Post
                      Yes, I do. It has about 120K miles on it and I'm starting to worry that I'll have problems on a long ride. I'd rather take the XS which, after the complete overhaul, is like new.

I've never had a major problem with the Harley. All little stuff. It is a little sluggish now (not bad) but still rides great. I've always used synthetics and that probably helped.

So much for Harley's being poorly made. ;-)
                      Talk to Brent Hooverstal about Harley's reliability! He can vouch for it!

He rode that red, Firefighter's Special forever. Rides a new black one now.
                      They get good fuel mileage, too!
                      I thought my FI'd 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 w/ ECO mode getting 50 mpg on our trip out to Zion and back was awesome, but each time Brent, Tod, and I stopped for fuel... Brent's 'ole red HD got 51! Not bad...
                      Bob
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Route

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
                        So reading the posts here made me realize our route takes us down us129 at early evening after an 11 hour ride. I'd rather not end the rally before it starts, so for those familiar with the area, Any suggestions on a healthy approach from the Louisville area? Looks like super slab all the way until that point and we'll need to plan from there. Route will be in a zumo so. A few backroads won't be a monkey wrench.

Is this the route you are speaking of? If so, I do not see another route unless you want to come through Asheville.

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...coah-283414776
                        Last edited by MPittma100; 09-10-2016, 10:09 PM.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post

Is this the route you are speaking of? If so, I do not see another route unless you want to come through Asheville.

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/...coah-283414776
                          Yes, that's generally it. We are leaving SE Wisconsin at about 5 am.
                          79 F

Comment

• BTW: Sunset at the destination - Iron Horse Stecoah is 7:30 PM

Dragon would be a 25mph adventure after dark. (but for the I-65, I-75 northern riders & I-40 western riders it is the best way in)
                            Even NC28 into Iron Horse would be intimidating at more than about 35mph after dark. (tough enough to read the road in the daylight let alone at night figuring out curve orientation (off camber - decreasing radius) and apex point.

Also, on Friday evening when you get around Knoxville it will be congested. Approaching Knoxville I-75 south actually runs on the I-640 west loop. Then when you hit I-40 you have to travel a few likely congested miles to get to the Alcoa Highway (US129) south. Alcoa Highway is also congested around the time you will be passing through. So just a consideration in your planning.

The other way into I-H involves running the twisty curves of I-40 over the mountain to Clyde NC to get on US23. Nice ride but in heavy traffic with cars and trucks it gets a little unnerving if that sort of thing is bothersome. However going that way is mostly 4 lane roads until the last 10 miles. Few more miles that way but about the same time to get to I-H. Either way gets you there and I-40 over the mountains is a hoot if traffic isn't heavy + nice 4 lane ride to Sylva on US23 then Bryson City on US74.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                              Talk to Brent Hooverstal about Harley's reliability! He can vouch for it!

He rode that red, Firefighter's Special forever. Rides a new black one now.
                              They get good fuel mileage, too!
                              I thought my FI'd 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 w/ ECO mode getting 50 mpg on our trip out to Zion and back was awesome, but each time Brent, Tod, and I stopped for fuel... Brent's 'ole red HD got 51! Not bad...
                              Bob
                              My bike is a 2009 FLSTC and I've only had to replace a bearing in the transmission (easy), a wheel bearing, and the stator/rotor (twice). Everything else was routine maintenance. When I bought the bike new I also purchased a life time maintenance contract at a discount. This helped me remember to perform all scheduled maintenance and fluid changes.

The only modification I've done is to perform the stage 1 upgrade. It's been the best bike I've ever had and I've had a lot of bikes.
                              1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                              2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichV View Post
                                My bike is a 2009 FLSTC.....

It's been the best bike I've ever had and I've had a lot of bikes.
                                I think Brent's Road King went 215,000 miles before it gave up. The engine is rebuilt and he's still riding it. I believe he'll be on his trusty XS11 Special for the rally.

I'm hoping the place is filled with vintage Japanese bikes.

The Dragon can be ridden at night. Your speed for it is going to be 25 mph or even less. There are no good places to go off the road. That's true for most of the area. 3Phase can tell you all about the nighttime Dragon run, if he hasn't already.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X