XS Southeast 2016 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    ... 3Phase can tell you all about the nighttime Dragon run, if he hasn't already.
    First of all it helps a lot if you don't actually know that you're riding The Dragon.

Just leave the suspension on the cushy highway setting with the tires at 50 Psi for gas mileage. Don't worry about the bags or the fairing, you're just going up the road to a motorcycle lodge for the weekend.

Ignore the increasingly strident warning signs telling trucks to stop and turn around or abandon all hope, they're not meant for you because you're on a motorcycle.

Ignore the final warning sign before the first set of curves that's written in sinister dripping green paint that says, "Turn back now, Dorothy!" (Okay, I made that one up...) but just ride like blue monkeys are after you because you're already late for dinner at the Iron Horse and they're holding it for you if you can get there before the kitchen closes.

Trust, me, you'll have a blast.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      First of all it helps a lot if you don't actually know that you're riding The Dragon.

Just leave the suspension on the cushy highway setting with the tires at 50 Psi for gas mileage. Don't worry about the bags or the fairing, you're just going up the road to a motorcycle lodge for the weekend.

Ignore the increasingly strident warning signs telling trucks to stop and turn around or abandon all hope, they're not meant for you because you're on a motorcycle.

Ignore the final warning sign before the first set of curves that's written in sinister dripping green paint that says, "Turn back now, Dorothy!" (Okay, I made that one up...) but just ride like blue monkeys are after you because you're already late for dinner at the Iron Horse and they're holding it for you if you can get there before the kitchen closes.

Trust, me, you'll have a blast.
      Haha! Yep, that's pretty much how I had it planned out in my head. Looks like we may overnight at a buddies house Friday night and roll in early Saturday morning to IH.
      79 F

Comment

• Dragon

Turn back now, Dorothy!" (Okay, I made that one up...) but just ride like blue monkeys are after you because you're already late for dinner at the Iron Horse and they're holding it for you if you can get there before the kitchen closes.

Rode the Dragon one NIGHT in the RAIN and I actually did see the MONKEYS? I passed one of them!
        Last edited by MPittma100; 09-12-2016, 08:29 AM.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
          Haha! Yep, that's pretty much how I had it planned out in my head. Looks like we may overnight at a buddies house Friday night and roll in early Saturday morning to IH.
          Kickstands up for Sat. ride is usually 9a.m. if you're wanting to leave the IH with us...or perhaps meet up along the way if you know the routes...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Pressure washed the bike Saturday and tonight put on the center stand and checked all oil levels. Then I pulled spark plugs to eye ball them and found that my recent valve cover gasket change is leaking. Started checking the Allen heads and found them loose, one has backed out 1 millimeter.
            So I pulled the gas tank and tighten every thing up.
            Thinking about the earlier talks about what to bring for the trip. You take everything for granted when all you do is ride it!
            79 XS11

Comment

• Rider Hand Signals

XSSE Friends,
              Last year, JeffH & Don helped me find my way to the Iron Horse in heavy rain. While leading the way, Jeff was TRYING to look out for me by pointing out road hazards. At first, I couldn't understand why my leader was constantly stretching his right leg and left arm? . It took a bit to figure out he was trying to point out the deep water spots and other road hazards. Darn nice of the guy to try to help me avoid the hazards he was seeing!

I've acquired several riders books for the XSSE awards event. In one is this chart of COMMON RIDERS HAND SIGNALS! Jeff with all his LD driving experience is probably the guy that invented them! Anyway, for those joining the "CONGA LINES" at IH these signals might come in handy!

KURT
              Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
              1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
              1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
              1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
              2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• I'm thinking most of that arm waving stuff happened when a bee got in my shirt ..............
                trying to shake that bugger loose before i got any more stings. Likely went through ALL those moves and a bunch more, including the Jersey Salute.

got my bike on the road last evening. Had it offline for maintenance a month. Not a blistering work pace for sure. I'd starve to death as a mechanic. Just too slow. Didn't have the time to do the other tasks I wanted (new cam chain & check valve adjustment) but did get the new brake master and rotor job buttoned up. Just light braking for 500+ miles. But I got front brakes. Now smooth as silk, and 9 fewer pounds spinning up front does make a difference in handling.

Heading up to NC on Saturday to check a couple of the roads before the Rally.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Article in the BBC about "the Dragon" US129 (14 Sept 16)

Titled: the treacherous road with 318 curves
                  With hairpins, blind cutbacks and a cloverleaf here and there, this challenging 11-mile stretch is said to be among the best driving roads in the world

We have some riders coming in that way from the west and NW. Plus the Sunday Rally Ride stops at Deals Gap and does the Dragon. As has been commented in the past, a blast to ride but gotta watch out for the crazies. Well marketed too since bikes make up a good chunk of the summer economy up there in western NC and that SW corner of TN.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016...with-318-turns

btw: was surprised to see a Dragon article like that in the BBC, but BBC has good coverage on all kinds of things, always a good read (bbc.co.uk)

Jeff
                  Last edited by JeffH; 09-15-2016, 06:10 AM.
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• I have always said. The dragon is a great tourist draw. But there are tons of other roads worth riding as well. Do the dragon once and then ride every other road in the area.
                    Tom
                    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• Originally posted by Huron52 View Post
                      I have always said. The dragon is a great tourist draw. But there are tons of other roads worth riding as well. Do the dragon once and then ride every other road in the area.
                      We all agree. I just don't get it, the guys that ride back & forth on the Dragon all day long. Or all weekend long. Or those that show up and ride it all week. As you stated, much better and more fun, interesting & technical roads in North Georgia with no traffic at all. Same for some parts of western North Carolina and eastern Tenn. These are public roads, not a race track but some guys don't seem to understand that. Maybe its like some in the NASCAR crowd, the lure of seeing the Big One.

BBC: And The Dragon sees its share of crashes, often 10 or 15 a day, according to Allison and Talbott. Mostly it’s a motorcyclist who loses control and walks away with a bit of road rash. But some are far worse. Between 2002 and 2015, the Tennessee Highway Patrol documented 1,695 crashes on The Dragon, 37 of them fatalities. So far this year, there have been 103 wrecks, with three deaths.

No thanks. We all just want to get together, have a nice ride, enjoy our friendships, then get home safely.

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffH; 09-15-2016, 09:12 AM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                        We all agree. I just don't get it, the guys that ride back & forth on the Dragon all day long. Or all weekend long. Or those that show up and ride it all week. As you stated, much better and more fun, interesting & technical roads in North Georgia with no traffic at all. Same for some parts of western North Carolina and eastern Tenn. These are public roads, not a race track but some guys don't seem to understand that. Maybe its like some in the NASCAR crowd, the lure of seeing the Big One.

BBC: And The Dragon sees its share of crashes, often 10 or 15 a day, according to Allison and Talbott. Mostly it’s a motorcyclist who loses control and walks away with a bit of road rash. But some are far worse. Between 2002 and 2015, the Tennessee Highway Patrol documented 1,695 crashes on The Dragon, 37 of them fatalities. So far this year, there have been 103 wrecks, with three deaths.

No thanks. We all just want to get together, have a nice ride, enjoy our friendships, then get home safely.

Jeff
                        Interesting that all of these crashes happen on a road where the speed limit is 35 MPH? More police presence may help - may not. Would have to be a joint effort between NC and TN to make that happen. Have a feeling that an effort to more strongly police the area is coming sooner than later. When the insurance companies decide that enough is enough, their attorneys will start the ball rolling on restrictions.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• More police presence may help - may not. Would have to be a joint effort between NC and TN to make that happen. Have a feeling that an effort to more strongly police the area is coming sooner than later

More, no that is highly doubtful. Its a BTDT with police. In 2009-2011 i think it was, Tennessee had engaged in a massive patrol effort on the Dragon. It backfired. Remember the huge billboards about the biker rider that was killed and tremendous backlash and horribly bad publicity directed back a law enforcement. Really bad backlash. I forget the details but biker was killed when stopping or something. So patrols have backed off.

Officers now will not chase a speeder. Obviously it's too dangerous and no real safe places to pull over a speeder anyways.

All but about .2 miles of the Dragon is in Tenn anyways. No place for an NC officer to turn around (at least for 11 miles & 318 curves) so they don't patrol that .2 miles. In fact, all the times I've been at Deals Gap (in NC) I have never seen a NC officer in a patrol car or patrol bike or patrol sport bike.

But as we know, it does make a real nice weekday or evening ride though when there are few if any bikes or any car traffic.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                            More police presence may help - may not. Would have to be a joint effort between NC and TN to make that happen. Have a feeling that an effort to more strongly police the area is coming sooner than later

More, no that is highly doubtful. Its a BTDT with police. In 2009-2011 i think it was, Tennessee had engaged in a massive patrol effort on the Dragon. It backfired. Remember the huge billboards about the biker rider that was killed and tremendous backlash and horribly bad publicity directed back a law enforcement. Really bad backlash. I forget the details but biker was killed when stopping or something. So patrols have backed off.

Officers now will not chase a speeder. Obviously it's too dangerous and no real safe places to pull over a speeder anyways.

All but about .2 miles of the Dragon is in Tenn anyways. No place for an NC officer to turn around (at least for 11 miles & 318 curves) so they don't patrol that .2 miles. In fact, all the times I've been at Deals Gap (in NC) I have never seen a NC officer in a patrol car or patrol bike or patrol sport bike.

But as we know, it does make a real nice weekday or evening ride though when there are few if any bikes or any car traffic.

Jeff

That same scenario is how the "Road to Nowhere" came about. NC and TN got into a battle over that many years ago. No one could agree - road remains unfinished to this day. It appears that NC and TN just can't get along?

https://www.greatsmokies.com/gsmnp/road-nowhere.html
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• packed

HI all

All packed up Gary picking me up at 4am leaving for North GA Staying with Robin at his time share in Ski Valley. Then off to the IH.
                              lOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING ALL

XSivley
                              Bruce
                              Bruce Gerken
                              '79 XS1100SF
                              "The Black"
                              '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                              The Red Sled.
                              St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerkenbruce View Post
                                HI all

All packed up Gary picking me up at 4am leaving for North GA Staying with Robin at his time share in Ski Valley. Then off to the IH.
                                lOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING ALL

XSivley
                                Bruce
                                Hi Bruce Have a good trip and I will wee you and Gary at the IH
                                Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                                X