No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2016 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well we now have a brand new grandson (number 13) born Labor Day weekend. Everything is going great so it looks like I can make it to the rally.

The only thing I need to work out is getting the bike out of storage and on the road. Shouldn't be a problem but I won't know until the 16th if it will run.

In the meantime, I will start to make arrangements. I'll be leaving out of Fredericksburg, VA area this time and I may just carry the bike down in my truck to save time. I can make the trip in 8 hours.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.
    1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
    2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• I am getting excited. Soon have to get organised Having had a cabin booked since last year.
      Huron52 & I are formulating a plan. Good to see how many of the previous XSives are making the trek to the Iron Horse.
      Be good to ride with you all again. It's going to be FUN

Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• What to pack?

For banter and informational purposes, what's on your gotta have it LD packing list for xsse? I've got the camping gear pretty well sorted but what do you guys think would be mandatory on tools, parts, gear?
        79 F

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
          For banter and informational purposes,
          what do you guys think would be mandatory on tools, parts, gear?
          What a person drags along really comes down to what each individual is comfortable with. How they would handle a breakdown.

Seems it starts with the condition of the bike. If the bike is in good shape and ridden regularly with no problems then maybe you become a minimalist.

For instance, I've ridden eastern Canada to Key West without a tool or part on the bike. No wrenches. No screwdriver. And I'm not kidding. To handle any breakdown situation I was comfortable with lugging just cell phone, credit card, throttle cable, clutch cable and AMA towing. I was reasonably sure my bike was in excellent working condition. My attitude was that if I had a breakdown I'd call for a tow, then ride the Greyhound home. (ride of shame) But nothing broke thankfully. Plus, I had friends in a few strategic spots along the way to get help if i needed it. (a trailer to come get me)

However in July riding 4,300 miles to-from Colorado I 'was packing'. Multi-meter, wire, butt connectors and metric wrenches. Not a lot, but enough to get the seat off, tank off, carbs off a long screw driver to mess with idle rpm. Wire cutters and since I wanted to change the oil, a socket & small ratchet. Luck would have it the only wrench i needed was an 8mm for the bleeder. Had to buy that in Cortez Colorado when I re-bled the front brakes that were sticking. Had packed a screw driver to take the front master apart.

To be packing Tools & Parts i'd first figure out what you would actually mess with road side. Your patience and tolerance levels and skills determine a lot of this i think. Like Tod & Greg they did a U-Joint repair roadside. Whole back of the bike torn off. amazing! Like a Marine field stripping a weapon. They have done other major jobs roadside too, just amazing. We all marvel. But they have skill & knowledge and very good understanding of these machines. I can do a U-Joint in my garage over 2-3 days but sure can't and would never attempt to do it roadside. Plus they know what tools to pack and how to not interfere with the other gear and goodies we all want to lug along.

So you will get a lot of perspectives. Answer is, it really seems to depend on what you would want to fix and a persons ability to really fix it roadside. Riding with someone helps because you can split the load. Or if problem can wait, lots of tools and expertise at the Iron Horse too.

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 09-07-2016, 03:17 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Tools

I am a minimalist also when carrying tools/parts for the XS. The bikes are pretty much bullet-proof, but even the best have failures (after 35 years). I keep on board the factory tool set, spare clutch and throttle cables, fuses, a few spare bulbs, and a good led flashlight. Have not had to use any of the spares yet.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Bartman View Post
              If it's not raining, I plan on coming Friday after work. But will have to come back home Saturday evening after the days ride. Will be good to meet everyone.
              Bartman, I'm glad you're finally going to make an appearance. Too bad you'll miss the big party Saturday evening. It's going to be a hoot!

Originally posted by RichV View Post
              Well we now have a brand new grandson (number 13) born Labor Day weekend. Everything is going great so it looks like I can make it to the rally.
              Great news and congratulations! If necessary, you still have the Harley, right?

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              I am getting excited. Soon have to get organised Having had a cabin booked since last year.
              Huron52 & I are formulating a plan. Good to see how many of the previous XSives are making the trek to the Iron Horse.
              Be good to ride with you all again. It's going to be FUN

Phil
              I'm glad to learn Tom is coming. Is he coming with just you, or is Pam coming, too?

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
              For banter and informational purposes, what's on your gotta have it LD packing list for xsse? I've got the camping gear pretty well sorted but what do you guys think would be mandatory on tools, parts, gear?
              I think you should pack a couple of tires with tire irons. LD riders look much more serious toting tires. What Jeff said makes sense. I don't carry parts either.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

• Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
                When I met up with Tod in Kentucky, he had a duffle bag strapped to the back with a complete shop in it including a piston and connecting rod.

I pack a pretty good assortment including DMM and duct tape. left everything in the hotel in Canada and ended up pulling the carbs off on the shoulder with a borrowed screwdriver an set of plies...

whatever you didn't pack is what you will need
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

• Survival Kit

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                  lots of tools and expertise at the Iron Horse too.
                  Jeff
                  I've struggled with what items I should be carrying on longer rides....But I have finally settled on a couple items: The standard OEM Tool Kit (or comparable equivalent selection). One set of brand new plugs, and a couple spare fuses. That's all I carry along with a bit of cash, cell phone, credit cards.

No matter what you pack, some other gizmo will be the item that will break.

FYI. I will be packing a very heavy selection of tools and several boxes of misc. little parts & gizmos to the Iron Horse. Wife is driving a cage with the goodie bags, prizes from the vendors, etc. SO, might as well pack the trunk with spares just in case a friend needs something.....

Kurt
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                  1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                  1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                  1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                  1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                  1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                  1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                  1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                  2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Hi Marty,
                    As far as I know just Tom on the FJR.

Hi Dbshea,
                    JeffH has given a very detailed explanation.
                    I too carry a selection of tools. If you do not have the original set try and figure out what you actually use. Wrenches for spark plug and brake bleeder (8mm) drain plugs and filler plugs. Can you undo an axle nut? Some bulbs and fuses and the clutch and throttle cable. A quart of oil for top ups.
                    The cell phone and credit card for a real serious breakdown.
                    Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

• Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      ... I think you should pack a couple of tires with tire irons. LD riders look much more serious toting tires. What Jeff said makes sense. I don't carry parts either.
                      BTDTGTTS:

I usually load up enough parts and tools to rebuild a couple of bikes on the side of the road. I've done just about everything except pull the engine and split the cases too but I'm tired of that 'stuff' so I'm debating what I want to pack this time on the XJ. I'll probably put the fairing on and the '850 FD, maybe some bags, I dunno yet. I will be bringing the irons though. I'll probably have to change a tire again before I get back home and after that $100 oil change on the way to Iron Horse last time, I'm not stopping by another shop unless the bike and I both catch fire.

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• In most cases I am a minimalist and only carry the Yamaha tool kit with a few extra tools...but then it depends..if i am riding with others who typically bring everything but the kitchen sink...chances are if i need anything...they already have it...still i like the approach of brininging my credit card...one thing i feel i like to have is a spare gallon of gas...my bike doesnt get better than 30mpg and I've run out of gas more times than i care to think about...YMMV
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                          BTDTGTTS:

I usually load up enough parts and tools to rebuild a couple of bikes on the side of the road. I've done just about everything except pull the engine and split the cases too but I'm tired of that 'stuff' so I'm debating what I want to pack this time on the XJ. I'll probably put the fairing on and the '850 FD, maybe some bags, I dunno yet. I will be bringing the irons though. I'll probably have to change a tire again before I get back home and after that $100 oil change on the way to Iron Horse last time, I'm not stopping by another shop unless the bike and I both catch fire.

Hi Scott,
                          I think the bags make a lot of sense for a long trip like you are taking.
                          The sissy bar in your picture is certainly getting some use
                          Looking forward to seeing you again.
                          Phil
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

• All good points. Between the two of us, there shouldn't be anything out of the realm of ability (as long as it's feasible to do on the side of the road, I'm not bringing any connecting rods!) and I think storage should be plentiful. I appreciate the input, and as always, on the side of the road cash is king.
                            79 F

Comment

• Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                              Will be good to meet everyone.
                              You will get to see those ole XJ rims of yours on my XS11!
                              KURT
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                              1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                              1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                              1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                              2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Me too, Phil.

Db, the rods aren't too bad, it's the crank and transmission that's hard to stash and look inconspicuous.

Good communication is important too so you can call someone to take your cash. A new 'phone replaced my trusty old Sony-Ericsson and I added a GPS with free lifetime maps to the bag of tricks:

I'll wait and see whose lifetime has to get put up for the free maps or if its just advertising hyperbole and the lifetime expires when they retire that model.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X