No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2016 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those tunnels throw my equilibrium off, especially the curved ones.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Whose '80G is that with the shark fin exhaust and ?? tires? Dunlops? They almost look like enduro tires but it could just be the angle and lighting.
      That bike belongs to Joe LaFrance. He posts on here from time to time. His forum handle is 1980xs1100.

Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

• I thought the tires were Shinko. The mufflers were intended for a Harley-Davidson.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

• Here are my photo from the Sunday ride on the Dragon.

1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
          2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• I see the front's a Shinko. Hmm... I remember those exhausts from the back pages of every motorcycle magazine since the '60s and probably long before that. It looks good and must have been some small amount of work to replace the stock mufflers.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Lowers

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I thought the tires were Shinko. The mufflers were intended for a Harley-Davidson.
              I asked Joe how he was able to ride with the lowers on in the heat - 88 degrees that day. He said that is what the highway pegs are for?

My experience with lowers is that if it is over 50 degrees, they must come off. Otherwise, your legs are on fire.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                I asked Joe how he was able to ride with the lowers on in the heat - 88 degrees that day. He said that is what the highway pegs are for?

My experience with lowers is that if it is over 50 degrees, they must come off. Otherwise, your legs are on fire.
                I got a set of lowers from motoman and that's how they are for me too in the summer. They're actually XS850 lowers so they bolt up but they're a little long and go back all the way to the air box. They're nice in our cold California winters though when it gets down below 72 during the day and 68 at night.
                -- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  I got a set of lowers from motoman and that's how they are for me too in the summer. They're actually XS850 lowers so they bolt up but they're a little long and go back all the way to the air box. They're nice in our cold California winters though when it gets down below 72 during the day and 68 at night.
                  Cheese & rice! 68??? I hope that's sarcasm. I wish it was 68 degrees overnight here! We've been in the 50's overnight since late August (dew on the car/nike when left-out), and are headed to 40's overnight, next week.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

• It's all relative, Ian.

It was below 80 when I went to Hawaii in December and my girlfriend and I were having a great time splashing around in the surf during a rainstorm while the locals were all huddled indoors, presumably burning coconut and pineapple husks to keep warm and muttering about tourists.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      It was great to have you there Rich. Sorry I laid it down in front of you and caused your mishap.

Great bunch aren't they?
                      I enjoyed your company too. Your to kind Greg ... but I caused my own 'mishap'. I have been legally on street bikes for 34 years and have never ridden in soft dirt before. there are signs on other roads around there stating the shoulder is soft dirt ... and I would understand now - lol. you have been beat up enough on your own incident (pun intended), so let me own mine.

Live and Learn

Comment

• Haven't yet heard what happened to Huron Tom?

Nice batch of photos Ben.
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

• Thanks Dean...You're retired now...when are you gonna come down here and ride some of the best roads in the country???
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• xs11 rally Iron Horse

Thanks to Jeff,Marty & all that were so nice, had a good time meeting new people,just wish I could have stayed longer.
                            My1980 is a G but have replaced the tank with the larger H (?) 6gal. model, helps between stops, I get about 40-42 mpg when I stay out of the twist grip.
                            the lowers are not too bad when I lay back & kick out on the highway pegs,kinda like sitting in a lazy boy at 60-70 mphI love my old bike the harley fishtails were easy to install and a must since my old pipes were rusted out when I got the bike & have a 1979 special in the garage,just could not pass it up at the price.
                            I am looking for more fishtails for the gentleman fron south carolina(?) please send me a note to tell me who you are, i'll let you know when I find some more. Long winded, sorry and god bless all, ride safe
                            Joe
                            1980xs1100

Comment

• Excellent XS, Joe, and good work on the exhaust. It almost looks like those pipes came with the bike!

The exhaust fins clear the hard bags when you change the rear tire, don't they?
                              -- Scott
                              _____

Comment

• 80G pipes

yes, when I change rear tire, I drop the pipes down so they clear the bags & slip out the rear rim, I also drop the rear end out & grease the coupling gears and rear bearings. I had a rear dif. lock up on a venture royal for lack of grease,ground down the coupling gear & rear of the drive shaft,looked like it came from the factory without grease,and the fitting on the shaft cover will not get grease to the coupling gear or drive shaft. little extra work,but beats sitting on the shoulder
                                thanks, I love that old G a lot.
                                Joe
                                1980xs1100

Comment

Working...
                                X