XS Southeast 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jwhughes3
    replied
    Yup. Last year I ran my rear down to cords by Sunday....had to get a new one on monday morning in Stecoah. Only a few dollars more than normal but still a hassle. And in the rain. Good thing Greg and Harry were helping or I would have been there all day.

    Get new tires first.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • MaximPhil
    replied
    Hi jjz28,
    I second Huron52 suggestion. I would not go to a rally with old tires.
    I suspect you will decide to not remount the old tire once you have felt a good new one but keep the option open.
    On a 4 day excursion like this rally you do not have time for messing about looking for tire stores or parts places that are not open on Sunday or in many cases Monday.
    I will replace my Rear tire which is just on a year old before leaving for the rally although I would happily ride it around locally.
    Phil

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    Originally posted by madmax-im
    George the cost of 2 new tires is a small price to pay for... your peace of mind and your personal protection...how could you put a price on that?...a pair of Shinko 712's wont run you more than $120 bucks...
    Ben, its jjz28 that has the old tires.

    Originally posted by GLoweVA
    46 DAYS to go!

    Damn, there's so much anticipation that I hope it doesn't fall flat on the expectation, but I doubt that'll happen.
    I even got a drain hole in my left saddlebag ready for ice and some cold ones!
    Ha ha........don't worry about it falling flat George. It was wet and rainy on Saturday last year and I still had fun. The wet leaves in the turns were a tittle concerning but we had a great time.

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    George the cost of 2 new tires is a small price to pay for... your peace of mind and your personal protection...how could you put a price on that?...a pair of Shinko 712's wont run you more than $120 bucks...

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    George,

    Just put your bike in the back of the truck. We'll have another award for ya!

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffH
    replied
    Originally posted by jjz28
    my tires and they are 11 years old!!! They look brand new. they are soft and no rot or anything. ....... what would you do? I put this here because I am coming to the rally with these tires unless I should buy new ones.
    If your budget allows I'd certainly try and get some new tires before riding to NC if you can. Once tires get up to temp on I-77 goofy things might happen. My project 78' E had a fine looking 10 year old front tire but when I got the bike running and got out on I-85 the tire started "chunking" off tread. That was the end of that test ride and I went home and ordered new tires. Plus if we hit rain or drizzle at the Rally then I would not trust old tires. Same for the twisty sections.

    Tire troubles are bad enough but when we have tire troubles and tire performance problems from real old tires then that in my view is not safe.

    See ya soon, Jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    I just rode 2100 miles round trip to the Lost Rally in Wisconsin on a 7 year old D404 that was on the back of my SF when I got it 2 years ago. I debated changing it before I left but it was brand new looking and still soft. The bike was kept in out of the weather all those years.

    I rode it and it stuck good but the trip wore it down to almost nothing. It still has some tread but almost on the wear bars in the middle.

    I wouldn't have felt right throwing away a tire with that much tread on it. It won't hurt my feelings now.

    That being said, I personally wouldn't recommend riding any distance with a front tire that old. If you've ever had a front go down at about 70 fully loaded you'll understand. The rear you might get away with but if you do run it on a trip be prepared to buy a new one on the road if necessary.

    Leave a comment:


  • Huron52
    replied
    I rarely have a set of tires on my bike that are more than a year old.
    Seeing as how you asked:
    My suggestion is that you put a new set of tires on your bike.... See how the old ones come off the bike .... if they still look good maybe keep them and put them back on after the rally.

    The problem with old rubber is it lacks the stickiblity to the road when you really need/want it.

    I have seen too many people come to rallies thinking their tires will last and they don't then spend the weekend finding a shop with tires and getting hosed on the price.

    Leave a comment:


  • jjz28
    replied
    Hey guys, I just went out and looked at the date code on my tires and they are 11 years old!!! They look brand new. they are soft and no rot or anything. They probably didn't have 100 miles on them when I got the bike. I know before I ask but, what would you do? I don't want to buy tires if I don't have too. I have been riding the crap out of this bike with those tires and I think they are safe. I have old tires on my 750 that I would not ride more than a couple of miles on. If your tires were like new but 11 years old, what would you do? I know they are not like new but you know what I mean. I put this here because I am coming to the rally with these tires unless I should buy new ones.

    Leave a comment:


  • wingnut
    replied
    Going to Make it

    Waynne and I will be with you. The wives just issued the passes for us. We are working on the rooms now.
    Looking forward to meeting you all. Mark thats a bummer about your hand but may be your wife could drive

    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • jjz28
    replied
    Originally posted by mlew
    I have been looking forward to the fall XS rally all year. Unfortunately I had a slight mishap with my table saw a few weeks ago. Luckley I still have all my fingers, just stiches and a torn tendon in my right thumb. The cut is almost healed but I won’t have full strength back in my hand to ride for another couple of months. I have canceled my reservations at the Iron Horse today so someone can snach it up.

    Damn I was so looking forward to riding….. This sucks

    Post lost of pics , it will make me feel like I was there.
    That's too bad, I got hurt and couldn't make it to the xseast.

    Leave a comment:


  • mlew
    replied
    I have been looking forward to the fall XS rally all year. Unfortunately I had a slight mishap with my table saw a few weeks ago. Luckley I still have all my fingers, just stiches and a torn tendon in my right thumb. The cut is almost healed but I won’t have full strength back in my hand to ride for another couple of months. I have canceled my reservations at the Iron Horse today so someone can snach it up.

    Damn I was so looking forward to riding….. This sucks

    Post lost of pics , it will make me feel like I was there.

    Leave a comment:


  • MPittma100
    replied
    I Will Say It!

    I'm Ready, Let's go! Can't wait to see everybody and hear some new (or old) stories.

    MP
    Last edited by MPittma100; 08-13-2013, 03:42 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by jjz28
    Im excited too, just wish the wife was. I am thinking about just leaving her home. She don't like to ride much, shes a fuddy dudd.
    My wife doesn't really care how many women show, but generally, the more women we have show up, the more fun they all have. If your wife or GF come along and enjoy it, she'll be back next year. The lodge and accommodations at the Iron Horse are very nice.


    Leave a comment:


  • jjz28
    replied
    Im excited too, just wish the wife was. I am thinking about just leaving her home. She don't like to ride much, shes a fuddy dudd.

    Leave a comment:

Working...