XS Southeast 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bigfoot
    replied
    Maybe its just the video but they seem to be going rather slow IMO. Looks like that could be a fun road. Looking forward to it.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    Warwoman Road

    This is one of the roads we're adding in.

    Warwoman Road - Georgia

    Here are some video highlights.

    Warwoman Road

    Here is a video of most of the road west to east. We'll be running it in the opposite direction with the twistiest bits first.

    Warwoman Road, NorthEast GA

    In this last video, you may note that the riders are WOT in the short straightaways, charging into the corners hard on the brakes, and riding the brakes all the way around. It isn't the way to do it. Also note that there are no signs giving information about the turns.

    Leave a comment:


  • JeffH
    replied
    SE Rally Weekend Schedule

    Here is an updated Rally Events Schedule in case you are interested. Hopefully this reference will help us avoid some confusion
    -or- at least get us to dinner on time. This is about what we did last year, but back then the What & When was a well guarded secret.
    Less confusion is a good thing and eliminating it will get us more time to RIDE (or BS) ...........





    See ya soon,
    Jeff

    Leave a comment:


  • Bigfoot
    replied
    Originally posted by jjz28
    I will replace them but I have ridden the crap out of this bike with the tires and they still look practically new. I will bring them with me.. The shop told me the front one was like new when they mounted it. My front would leak overnight and I would have to pump it up everyday, the rim was so dirty and had fix a flat in it. They had to clean it up real good and mount the tire back. I want new ones for peace of mind but I think these tires are perfectly fine. If I heard someone had 11 year tires I would be like, WHAT, you need to get them off of there. But, these must have been in a time capsule.lol I ive in WV so I have had it in the twisties pretty quick.
    If I went to a shop and they did that, I would find a new shop. Any reputable shop should have looked at that 11 year old tire and at least strongly advised you against putting it back on. Dead customers don't make very good repeat customers IMHO.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    I recently repaired a badly pitted wheel. I filled the pits with JB Weld and sanded it smooth. It does not leak!

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Originally posted by jjz28
    I will replace them but I have ridden the crap out of this bike with the tires and they still look practically new. I will bring them with me.. The shop told me the front one was like new when they mounted it. My front would leak overnight and I would have to pump it up everyday, the rim was so dirty and had fix a flat in it. They had to clean it up real good and mount the tire back. I want new ones for peace of mind but I think these tires are perfectly fine. If I heard someone had 11 year tires I would be like, WHAT, you need to get them off of there. But, these must have been in a time capsule.lol I ive in WV so I have had it in the twisties pretty quick.
    I have had the same issue with the front rim...tire in great shape but every couple days it would need air...valve stem was ok but the entire bead between the tire and the rim on both sides leaked. removed the tire and found corrosion on the rim cleaned it off with a wire wheel in a drill...took a hrd bristled wire brush and "cleaned " the bead are around the tire and reinstalled...been holding air fine since.

    Leave a comment:


  • jjz28
    replied
    I will replace them but I have ridden the crap out of this bike with the tires and they still look practically new. I will bring them with me.. The shop told me the front one was like new when they mounted it. My front would leak overnight and I would have to pump it up everyday, the rim was so dirty and had fix a flat in it. They had to clean it up real good and mount the tire back. I want new ones for peace of mind but I think these tires are perfectly fine. If I heard someone had 11 year tires I would be like, WHAT, you need to get them off of there. But, these must have been in a time capsule.lol I ive in WV so I have had it in the twisties pretty quick.

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Thanks Greg for the correction...guess i got my posts and eyes crossed...but the gist of it is 11 year old tires are not a good idea... I plan to replace my rear tire before this rally... its only a year old and has plenty of tread but I dont like the tread pattern and its just starting to square off a little in the center...so i feel it isnt appropriate to the type of riding that this rally will entail.

    Leave a comment:


  • DGXSER
    replied
    Hey Jeff,

    On the GSX, when I got it home I checked out the tires, and all looked good. They are 2009 tires. I put about 100 miles or so on them and got to looking at the rear tire, it now had cracks all over the place where the shallow tread areas met the raised tread areas. It now has a new tire on it.

    I have driven the roads they will be riding, in a Honda CRV, they are challenging, and much like WV areas, leaving the road often means changing elevation faster than a skyscraper elevator, and perhaps just as far. So, new tires, is pretty cheap insurance to not have THAT experience. Good call on making the change.

    Leave a comment:


  • Huron52
    replied
    Not to worry about the Hauley award..... I got that for sure... no doubt about it! In fact I will be bringing both bikes.

    But then I might also have the bike that has the most kilometers/miles on it and one that has the least.

    and there must a award for that?

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    (it's all in good fun, I got one at XS East. I won only by a few miles too, not next year!)
    __________________
    George
    Yes George, and we remember just how much you like having it!

    We have a rule for XS Southeast: No crashing! Seriously, the ride can be challenging and you don't want to make it worse by riding a bike with no brakes and worn out tires. Some of these roads are very challenging. We have off camber turns, increasing radius turns, decreasing radius turns, unmarked turns, debris in the road, oncoming traffic, and serious obstacles if you leave the pavement. Keeping pace with the bike in front of you is a very bad idea. Most of us ride faster with a fast rider in front of us. Let the faster guy behind you go around, and ride at your own pace. We won't leave you. We're all going to have lunch together! If somebody drives off the road and gets hurt, that interferes with our fun, and that's not so good. So, think about that between now and rally time. We are not having an event to show off our skills. This is not a contest. It's about all of us getting together and doing what we love!

    Leave a comment:


  • GLoweVA
    replied
    Not to make this another tire thread, but I've had good experiences with the 712s thus far. I've been with them for about 3 tire changes now (about 5yrs) and have no complaints.

    I'm glad that you made the decision to get some new ones. Try to get them 'broken in' a little before your trip, okay?
    Keeping the old ones may be a good idea, kinda like a back up plan. If something happens like a nail or something, then you've got a 'spare' to get you thru until a replacement can be put on. (maybe put them in the back of the truck in case someone else at the rally has a flat)

    I hope someone else trucks/trailers their bike, otherwise you may end up with the 'hauley' award! (it's all in good fun, I got one at XS East. I won only by a few miles too, not next year!)

    Leave a comment:


  • jjz28
    replied
    Yeah George, I will get new ones and just keep the old. How are the 712's? I have something called ching shen or something like that on there now.

    Leave a comment:


  • GLoweVA
    replied
    Originally posted by jjz28
    Hey marty, if you were talking about me putting in the back of the truck, well, I am. The wife don't want to ride down there and she might not go on both rides so she will have the truck to go check other stuff out. I hate riding interstate anyway, soooo, boring. About the tires, I guess I could replace them and just keep them. Now, my front leaked off overnight and I took the rim off and tried to get the tire off myself but said heck with it and took it to the shop. They took it off and cleaned the rim and put the tire back on and said it was in good shape. Maybe, they didn't know how old it was. This bike sat in a garage and hadn't been licensed since 98. The neighbor to me the PO would ride it around his circle where he lived every now and then. So, the bike was last licensed since 98 but had 00 tires on it. They seem to stick good and I have ridden maybe 1500 miles on them. much of it above 70. I think I would feel easier just putting new ones on and keep these like you guys suggested. Thanks.
    Jeff,
    Bike Bandit has free shipping on orders over $99, If you're a member of AMA, then you can get 10%, plus you can get a free magnetic parts bowl. See here: http://www.bikebandit.com/coupons

    Okay, now for the tire prices:
    Shinko 712 front 100/90/19 for $50.95 Rear 130/90/16 for $69.95
    Shinko 230 Tourmaster F/R for $60.95 & $69.95
    Shinko 777 Cruiser Tire F/R for $51.95 & $86.95

    So like Max said (for the 712's) right at $121 at your door in less than 3 days.
    (I know there are other online stores out there that have competitive prices, but i like the fact that bike bandit gives you 'bandit bucks' you can spend on your next purchase, which has saved me a few more $ on the next tire purchase)

    If your local bike shop is cool, then it shouldn't be but a few dollars to mount/balance the new ones. (use some jackstands under the bike and you can take both to them at the same time, plus you can get a good look and grease that rear drivetrain.)
    The peace of mind knowing that the bike will stick to the line you choose on those mountain roads will be well worth the price.
    My 712 rear has about 5K on it now (less than a year old) and with me planning on riding down there and back, I'm gonna put a new one on the SG a week or 2 before I leave, so I KNOW it'll be good to go.

    Leave a comment:


  • jjz28
    replied
    Hey marty, if you were talking about me putting in the back of the truck, well, I am. The wife don't want to ride down there and she might not go on both rides so she will have the truck to go check other stuff out. I hate riding interstate anyway, soooo, boring. About the tires, I guess I could replace them and just keep them. Now, my front leaked off overnight and I took the rim off and tried to get the tire off myself but said heck with it and took it to the shop. They took it off and cleaned the rim and put the tire back on and said it was in good shape. Maybe, they didn't know how old it was. This bike sat in a garage and hadn't been licensed since 98. The neighbor to me the PO would ride it around his circle where he lived every now and then. So, the bike was last licensed since 98 but had 00 tires on it. They seem to stick good and I have ridden maybe 1500 miles on them. much of it above 70. I think I would feel easier just putting new ones on and keep these like you guys suggested. Thanks.

    Leave a comment:

Working...