No announcement yet.

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for enlightening me on this.While thinking about this,it would be a whole lot simpler just to get a oil spin on adpater and leave the other alone.Let us know when you are ready to take orders. Thanks
    Bill Harvell

Comment

I would love to have one as well. Excellent design. I'm very impressed. $40 would well be worth using a spin on oil filter. You could potentially make a very profitable business.
      Tony K.
      TonimusMaximus
      Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
      New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

T.C.
        Just let me know when there ready!
        I'll take it for a test drive.
        ACE

Comment

I added a spin on filter a couple of years ago using a remote mounted filter assy. for a VW available at BAP Import Parts. It fits inline with the oil cooler. I mounted it on the crossbolt in front of the engine between the exhaust header tubes.
          72 TS185
          77 XS750
          78 SR500
          80 XS850
          80 XS1100 Midnight Special
          81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Remote Spin On

Stevec5000, how about posting a picture of the remote filter installation that you made. I'm sure that many of us are interested.
            Thanks,
            Ken/Sooke
            78E Ratbyk
            82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

OK but I'll have to wash it first! I needed to make the oil filter more compact because the 4-1 header and oil cooler adapter wouldn't both fit at the same time. I also wanted to make changing the filter easier and cleaner. What I did was replace the whole filter assy with a metal plate that has a hole in the center for the oil line fitting so it wouldn't stick down as far. Then got a remote filter to mount on the front of the engine and some hose and connected it all together with the cooler.
              72 TS185
              77 XS750
              78 SR500
              80 XS850
              81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

HMMMM,,,,,,

Yea and while yer at it go ahead and pull it off and let us get a GOOD look at it(HAHA)........it sure sounds good.
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Road Test

Hey there Folks,

Wanted to post a road test results regarding the adapter plate. Well, after 1465 "fun filled" miles to and from the Ga. Rally at T.W.O., the adapter plate worked flawlessly, no drips, runs, or errors. 4 Plates were acquired by Marty Ambrose, Brent Hoovestol, Hobbitt(Walter B.), and Ralph Meeks, and so hope to hear from them soon about their mounting and use success!

I still have to work out a production glitch with the threaded rod/pipe with my Machinist, so I can't accept orders just yet, but it will be soon!!

Gary G. had mentioned near the beginning of this thread about a similar product marketed by RIVCOPRODUCTS.com for the Venture that is also supposed to fit the XS11, and he had bought one and put it on one of his. I went to the web site and checked it out.

The differences are: their's uses the O-ring, but theirs also only uses AUTO filters ie. 3970 which is a much wider filter and thereby doesn't allow as much room around it for header pipes and accessing the oil drain plug; also concerns about the bypass valve being set too low a pressure in the auto filters; their mounting pipe had a thin nut in the middle of it to hold the plate on, but this requires the supply holes to be too far apart so that ONLY the larger diameter Auto filter will work; the plate appears to be flat across its entire mating surface except for the recess in the middle for the mounting stump/hole which also bothers me cause I know one of the case bolts and another section near the central mounting stump protrude further out from the case beyond the level of the outer surface ring, and so I'm not as sure as to it's total compatibility with the XS; AND they want $64.95 for theirs!

I do have to state that some folks with a special brand of exhaust pipe/4-1 setup like Rob Haller's, where the pipes all collect directly below/over the oil filter chamber won't be able to use this plate, cause there just isn't enough room between the header pipes and where the filter would be. But these poor folks have to remove their headers to do an oil filter change anyways, so what's one more bolt!! Thanks again for your attention, and patience, will announce soon when I can actually take mail orders and predicted waiting times.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sweetness! Way to go TopCat. I've come up with a real cheap clamp on protector for the filter for those who are worried about the auto filter being punctured. It consists of a big starter heat shield (Black, Chrome, or Steel- Availiable at any Checker, Schucks, or Kragens <-- Shameless plug) and some metal bar clamps from Home Depot. Connection rods go from the clamps to the heat shield and presto! It clamps right onto your pipes. Opinions? Thanks for your time fellas.
                    Tony K.
                    TonimusMaximus
                    Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
                    New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Here the link to some pics of my remote mounted filter. Sorry you can't see more but the 4-1 header is in the way. Next time I take it off I'll take some better pics.
                      I used the oil cooler adapter and put a 4" steel plate over the opening with a hole in the center for the mounting bolt. I made a pipe fitting with metric threads on the end to screw into a pipe fitting "L" with a hose barb on the other end for the oil line. Then ran hoses to the oil filter mount and cooler. The hoses should be kept short and direct and arranged so as not to touch the exhaust pipes.
                      http://mesanet.netfirms.com/images/XS1100OilFilter.htm
                      72 TS185
                      77 XS750
                      78 SR500
                      80 XS850
                      81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Put me down for one... ill start saving my coffee money now..!!
                        jeff "Wags"
                        Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                        79sf rusty
                        79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Finalizing Production

Hey there JD, and others,

We're finalizing the production processes, getting ready to be able to take orders. As mentioned before, this is being done on a shoestring budget, and essentially NO profit margin, maybe a buck or two for car gas travelling to and from machinist and UPS shipping facility!!

I've made a list from the folks that have commented to this thread stating their interest in acquiring this "fine" product!!
                          So, in all fairness, I'll be contacting everyone in chronological order thru email/PM to determine if you're still interested and wish to purchase one(or more!)

Due to the budget constraints(out of pocket operation!), and that the plate and pipe and machining fees have to be paid UPFRONT before product can be produced, I'll be requesting folks to send their $ in, and then will be able to produce them in a "timely fashion", but would request possibly up to 2-4 weeks waiting time before re-contacting me with regards to status of orders!

We will be making them in batches of 8, and may need to hold on production until enough funds are received to cover production costs for batch?!?! However, if after supplying everyone that responded to this thread, and then have a partial order waiting I'll probably put in my $ to get the batch done to prevent any extended delays!!

I hope this will seem like a fair approach to providing these adapters to avoid an onslaught of requests that would take way too long to produce, not to mention handle the logistics of orders and funds received, etc.! The asking price is still $40.00 plus an estimated $10.00 for S & H. Actual shipping rates for 2 lb package to residential locations range from $6.00-$8.00 again allowing a few $ for actual boxes, tape, mailing labels, gas to drop off, etc!! Okay, I'll shut up now! Thanks again for your continued interest, patience, and support!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC, as far as the shipping part of it, here is an idea that might help save u a few headaches.

You can (shameless plug here) go to UPS dot com's website and make an account, print the labels (including the tracking label)
                            from there and just drop them off to any ups driver or UPS store (most mailbox type shippers outlets will accept them as well).

The rate can very well be less than those places charge and it can be done from the comfort of your easy chair,...

When your done with it, just let the account sit, it will delete itself in about 6 months if unused... or you can request it to go away.

Just a thought to help!
                            jeff "Wags"
                            Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                            79sf rusty
                            79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Hey SteveC5000, The desperados in Mad Max would be jealous.
                              Good stuff.

Comment

Would that be a nice way of saying that it's rather CRUDE?
                                Garry
                                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                                X