Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Okay folks, if the cost of this adapter can be made for around $25.00, how many people would be interested in getting/using one vs. their OEM??

T.C.
    Yes, I would use this adapter vs. the OEM.
    59.04%
    No, I would still use the OEM filter system.
    4.22%
    Maybe, I really need to see the prototype in action first!
    36.75%
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

I would love to have one for that price.
    Sam Bodie

Comment

The poll wouldn'd accept my vote but I would be very interested in converting to a spin-on filter.

Comment

Yep, I'd be interested in looking at one too.
        If it is as good as you hope it is, then for sure, count me in.
        '79 Special

Comment

Great Idea

when I bought Margret, she had the oil cooler attached. I never got the ring for the filter area with it. I really neem one of those as well. I think the spin on will be great . Can ya configure the cooler deal as well?
          wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

oil filter adapter

I'd love to have one. I change my oil regularly a spin on would be great.
            Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

For that price I'll take TWO! Seriously TC, I'd trust anything you come up with and would be much more inclined to change my oil and filter on time if the filter was a spin-on type. I can hardly wait for this! TC's Spin-it? XSive Spin? (OK, I'll quit now!)
              Chuck Olds
              79 XS11 SF (Special)
              71 Triumph Bonneville 650 (stock)

Comment

I remember a thread about this on the old Yahoo site (which I still liked better). I searched and found the 1st referance on July 26, 2001 (10:55 am). There was concern about the pressure relief valve built into the oil filter bolt.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey there Pat,

The Oil Pressure Relief valve is part of the oil pump assembly. The valve in the filter bolt is merely a filter bypass, so that if the filter got too clogged...from not replacing it periodically, then the oil could bypass it and flow thru the other holes in the filter bolt that were below the position of the filter. With frequent changes of the filters, I don't see this feature as really needed!!

Below is a "crude" picture(my dig camera's macro focus point was a bit closer than I was), and I'm merely holding up an oil filter that will/can be very similar in size, if not actually larger/taller than ones that can be used, and it's in the approx. position it will be with the adapter plate in place. I have 4-1 pipes, and my headers come down and stack on top of each other, whereas other folks 4-2 system probably don't, but note that the bottom of the filter doesn't extend below even the bottom of the upper header tube!! And this is a 3" tall filter, others are shorter. So I truly think that the filter won't stick out far enough to get bumped unless you hit something sticking out far enough to bump your header pipes!!! Still working on the details!! T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

can you make the filter the same size as a beer can? So I can get that cool slip on mod?
                    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                    07 V-star 1100
                    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

They (RIVCO) do make one for the Venture which uses the same filter, But it goes straight out (DOWN on the XS) so it would limit ground clearance. If this could work, it would be a worthwhile mod, even an adaptor fo a remote location would work OK for bikes with a cooler.
                      Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I would definately be interested for the convenience factor, my only concern would be if it were more vulnerable to road damage.
                        Robert
                        79 SF

Comment

For bikes with a cooler.... running a remote filter should be easy. They already make oil cooler adapters to fit input and output hoses for cars. The only problem is that the auto type filter adapter is usually set up for the larger filters like the Fram PH-1. For a remote filter.... all you would need is a closed off version of the oil cooler adapter and a remote filter mount that is already available for autos and of course the 2 lines. It shouldn't be too hard to machine a remote filter mount for a smaller filter.
                          1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Has anyone on the list ever had anything substantial hit their oil filter housing? I think anything that can puncture a sheet metal auto type filter could also crack the thin aluminum housing on the stock set-up. If something were to hit that particular part of the bike hard enough to cause damage then I think you have bigger problems than a hole in your oil filter (like hanging on for dear life).
                            My driveway had such a sharp lip comming off the street that it would sometimes bottom out, usually midway between the wheels. I also just now went and looked and the stock filter housing sticks down past the oil pan by about an inch (but then I have a Lockhart oil cooler).
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                              For bikes with a cooler.... running a remote filter should be easy. They already make oil cooler adapters to fit input and output hoses for cars. The only problem is that the auto type filter adapter is usually set up for the larger filters like the Fram PH-1. For a remote filter.... all you would need is a closed off version of the oil cooler adapter and a remote filter mount that is already available for autos and of course the 2 lines. It shouldn't be too hard to machine a remote filter mount for a smaller filter.
                              Usually these are an addtional filter, not a replacement one. I thought of that too.
                              Gary Granger
                              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                              X