No announcement yet.

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last one I used was actually replaced and relocated the filter to make it easier to change. I mounted the filter on the inner fender well. You are correct though in stating that some of them simply allow extra filtration. It worked out great for me since it was very easy to drain the oil but a real SOB to get to the stock filter location.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Call me paranoid but I would worry about a rock or something flying up from the front tire and punching a hole in a regular automotive type oil filter. I have had some on cars that were hard to get to with a filter wrench so I would just stab them with a screw driver and then turn the out. It was surprisingly easy to punch a hole in them. I think that the stock aluminum filter housing is a lot stronger. Maybe someone has a spare that they could do some testing on?
      #1 ’79 XS11 Special
      #2 ’79 XS11 Special
      '97 V-Max
      '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Parts Update!

Hey there Xsives,

Was able to find the M20x1.5 threaded steel rod that was needed to make the supply tube/mounting shaft, along with the nuts and washers. We just have to drill/bore a hole thru the center of the pieces of rod to make them tubes!! I'm finalizing the machining outlines/drawings for my friend and depending upon how rough a workday he has, may be able to have the prototype done before or at least by the weekend!!

Will be posting lots of pictures and mounting it on Godzilla as soon as I get it, for some actual road testing!!

Bob, I'm making this adapter able to fit a variety of filters, will provide a list, so that you will be able to measure your clearances, and pick a filter to suite your bike. They have the spin on oil filter covers available from DK that will fit on a Honda GL1500c's Valkyrie filter for only $42.99. And that filter is the same as the 88-00 GL1500, FRAM model#6017A, and it's threading is a perfect match/fit for this adapter. And at least 3/4 dozen other auto filters will fit as well!!!!

So...if folks are truly worried about getting a rock thru the filter, then they can get the protector. But then that's adding more stuff/work to do to perform the oil change, almost as much as if you did the OEM one, so folks may not want to bother!?

I, too, have driven a "Sharp" screwdriver threw the side of a filter, but most rocks aren't that sharp, so I'm thinking that they may dent it a bit before the possibility of penetrating it.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i would be interested.

Comment

Put me down for one. Will send cash in advance if that helps you finance your tests.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I read here about some people concern about something

hitting the filter and damaging it. That is a true point. But if you

walk into almost any bike show room floor you can see all sorts of

stuff put down and in front of the motor. The one I can't figure

out is the amount of electronic stuff the manufaturers are putting

there.
              Tom
              2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
              gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Why not?

Trans-Dapt makes the remote filter kits in both single and dual. Had the dual one once and didn't feel like I needed it(stock car).
                If some one made the adapter it would be all we needed. If you used a short automotive filter you might gain a little in more than one area. Like capacity and better filtering. Not to mention convieniance.
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

My concerns is clearance. I'm planning to put a 4 into 1 exhaust system on and I'm not sure that I'll be able to get the oil cooler adapter to fit.

A remote system that would let me use the cooler would be ideal but were to mount that filter?

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Adapter Update and PIX!

Hey there folks,

Well, we got the first prototype done, but it's not quite what I was hoping for, in clearance, and that was partly due to my design, and having to use the only M20x1.5 nut I could find, and it was quite thick, which meant more thickness to the adapter to recess the securing nut so that the surface would be flush to allow the filter to fit!!! The total thickness with this FIRST prototype is 1.75", and then the filter attaches to it, so the filters do stick out a bit!

The next design will incorporate the center hole being threaded to fit onto the supply/attachment bolt/tube, so that the plate can be only 1" thick(almost half as thick as this one), and the surface will be flush!!!

Another discussion that DennyZ and I have been having in the PM has been about the bypass valve. Well, after researching, it has been found that the Fram and most other brands of bike oil filters have that valve built in, so no worry about that!!! BTW, notice the clearance around the black bike filter in the last photo to access the oil pan drain bolt!!

We oopsed in drilling the oil supply holes too far apart to properly fit to align with the small diameter of the smaller bike filter, so that's why there are so many holes in the example, but with the next prototype, there won't be a need for the central securing nut, and so it will be much easier to place the supply holes well within the 2"/50mm diameter range of the small bike filters that can be used!! I'll be using this larger filter, cause it will fit, and I can get possibly more filtration effect, and I have plenty of clearance well above my exhaust pipes bottoms!!!

Continuing to ?perfect? this project....we'll get it right soon!!!!
                    T.C.

T. C. Gresham

Comment

Very interesting! My guess is you could also probably decrease the 'height' of the adaptor significantly and still not affect the oil flow. It almost looks like you could 'permanently' install a threaded stub onto the existing attachment point, have a much shallower machined aluminum adaptor, and have the filter spun onto the stub holding it all together. Great stuff!
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

venture royal?

Will it fit a 1984 venture royal 1200 if so i wants one!!!! My bike uses the same set up as the xj1100 i had. I think it will but you would know more than i do . thanks MITCH
                        Doug Mitchell
                        82 XJ1100 sold
                        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

My parts bike does not have a oil cooler on and the one I ride does. I measured the difference and it is 3/4".
                          So I am already 3/4" longer (hanging down) than stock. If I put another adapter for a spin on how much more length will I have added?

TC

Keep up the good work ... you are on the right track!!
                          Tom
                          2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                          gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Hey there Ken,

The smaller/thinner adapter plate is what I'm going to be working on next. I don't like the idea of the filter holding the plate on, cause it gets into the same mess now of oil spilling out around the fitting seal, and I wanted a more semi-permanent adapter/seal combo so all we would have to mess with is the filter itself. The plate needs a clearance well of 17mm/.067" to clear the center mounting stub, and the front engine case bolt along with a little shoulder that sticks out from the center mounting stub, and the oil supply hole that is right at the edge. We(my machinist friend and I) decided that we could make the remaining ~1/3" of thickness of a 1" plate threaded in the center to mount onto the center threaded tube, eliminating the nut/washer and it's thickness/need for recess! And with a rubber O-ring, it should make a decent seal, and the filter will then ADD some additional tension and securing of the adapter, but would not be the only point of support!!

Tom, right now the "next" prototype is planned for only 1" thickness, and I'll be inspecting the oil cooler adapter my machinist has on his bike to verify that this adapter will work with it....I would think it should since the cooler adapter was designed to work with the OEM filter chamber!? The FramBike Filter is only 3" tall, the OEM filter case was almost 3" tall, so the adapter only adds about 1" to the depth, but the oil cooler I guess adds another 1". These pictures I posted is of the "Thicker" adapter that is 1.75", almost as thick as your cooler and the proposed new adapter, and you can see the filter still wouldn't stick out below the level of the header pipes. And I've checked out the metal casing of the bike filter, it seems much thicker than a standard auto filter!!!

Mitch, if the center mounting hub sticks out the same 16mm on the ROYALE as it does on the XS, and I would think also on the XJ, then I would think it would work on the Royale as well, provided the diameter is the same...~5.13" OD, 4.45" ID. Well, more research and designing is ahead, but we're making progress!! Thanks for the interest, wish us luck in being able to make it affordable....My main goal!! T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

You know, if you are worried about debris strikes on the filter, there is no reason that you could'nt make a half cage/skid plate that bolts to the front of that adapter.

If you could get the filter height down, you could even make a screw on cover for the filter. Kind of redundant. I know, but it would complete the look.
                              '80 XS 1100SG

Comment

Well TopCat, if you get it to work the way you want it to and it looks like you will
                                You can count me in for one for sure!
                                I don't care about the cooler adapter, but the filter conversion is an 'ACE' idea!
                                Thanks for your hard work
                                CMA1
                                '79 Special

Comment

Working...
                                X